How long to check in at Suvarnabhumi International Airport?

martyjames

Im flying from BKK , Suvarnabhumi International Airport, to Sydney on 13 October (flight is at 6.25pm). When i flew out from same airport 3 years ago i remember LONG quesues and it took ages. How long do you think i need to allow to check in and get through immigration /security etc??

Appreciate any advice from someone whos flow out of there recently.

Also, how long idoes taxi trip take from Don Mueang to Suvarnabhumi International Airport? Are taxis easy to find and get?

Many thanks

Marty

I'm no expert in this sort of thing, but I suspect the time taken to check in will depend on the number of people there are in front of you, what class you're flying, whether you can go to a privilege counter etc.

No offence, but it's a silly question really. If you follow the normal recommended travel guidelines and get to the airport 3 hours before an international flight you will have no issues. It's as simple as that.

Taxi from DMK to Swampy will take 40-50 mins max. Maybe less. And yes, I do believe taxi drivers sometimes wait outside airports to pick up passengers, so I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding one there. Unless the government introduces one of its very regular 'Taxis banned from airport' days which are becoming increasingly regular, I hear.

• Like 2

I might plan to arrive at the Suvarnabhumi-Bangkok International Airport (SBIA/BKK) between 3:15 PM and 4:00 PM.

You may be able to check in on-line, print boarding cards, and then drop luggage, although this does nothing to address the potential Immigration queue.

I would plan on 60 minutes for a taxi from DMK to BKK.

Taxis can be challenging to get within DMK, you may be better off walking out/over to the main road (Vibhavadi Rangsit Road).

• Like 1

I flew out on a Saturday a few weeks ago. 4:30 PM flight. Check-in will likely depend on which airline you're flying and when you arrive for it. I got to the airport way too early so after killing some time, was 2nd in line for check-in when they opened and on to immigration in under 10 minutes. Security is before immigration and there was almost no line so again I was through in minutes. Immigration was similarly short with 3 people in front of me. Obviously I was going through at a low point, but my last several exits have been almost as fast through security and immigration. Total time was less than half an hour including airline check-in this last trip.

The bigger variable has been checking-in for the flight. I flew EVA Airways the last trip and the several prior and they're pretty efficient at check-in. However, I flew Thai airways in April and their check-in was a bit of a mess. They started late, as in about 2 1/2 hours prior to the flight rather than 3 hours, which I thought was the industry standard for international flights. So there was a large pack of people by the time they started and then instead of letting people into the aisle and having them get into the different classes, they fed from the end of the row. It was hard to tell who was trying to go to which line. Took maybe 45 minutes to check-in, followed by fairly quick security and immigration. Still plenty of time until the flight, though I'm not sure how check-in times are when it is much closer to flight time.

• Like 1

One of the main things is which airline are you flying with ? As Thai airlines have so many flights their desk, check in counter, is open almost 24/7. Whenever you arrive, I suggest early, you can check in. If for example you are flying QANTAS, they only open their check in counter about 2 hours prior to boarding. So ! Thai airways you shouldn't have much of a wait... usually. QANTAS, there'll be a queue a mile long if you're not there early & at the head of the queue.

I fly either Brisbane or Sydney to Bangkok, & reverse often so am somewhat familiar with check in.

The immigration & customs have improved over the past year or so, no problems there.

If you're flying Thai get there about 1 1/2 hours before boarding. If QANTAS I'd suggest at least 2 1/2 hours before boarding to hopefully get somewhere near the head of the queue. Other airlines similar to Qantas.

Hope this is some help.

Cheers.... Mal.

• Like 1

If you are flying Thai, you can check in electronically at 1 of 3 electronic check in machines, normally in 10 to 15 mins max and sometimes nobody is in the queue. Then there is an express luggage drop off just behind the check in machine to drop your bags.

Just read the directions carefully, you don't need to type in all the info it asks you for, just scan your passport from the start and it will spit out your boarding pass. Change your seat to an aisle or window before you print it.

• Like 1

Hi Marty,

I fly out of Swampy at least 2-3 times a month and I have not been held up in immigration for any longer than 15 minutes, even if the line seems long. Airline check in is another story, I fly Thai most of the time so I am able to check in early as a frequent flyer. If Qantas has an line check in, do that first( can normally do 24 hours before the flight) as some airlines have dedicated internet checkin desks, not sure about Qantas though.

2 hours is what the airlines give you but if you check in online & go to the fast bag drop you'll be done with that in a few mins. There can be a long cue at immigration at peak times so give it 30-45 mins from arriving at the Airport to getting to the gate if you go down the online check-in route.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Immigration has improved dramatically in the last two years. But with all international flights in a big airport like Suvarnabhumi I'd be there three hours before. Something strange might happen. A few years ago some rock or movie star was there and the place was a madhouse. Last January we were 5 minutes in the Thai check in queue (to Brisbane, the 23:59 flight, nearly always full) and 10 minutes in security/immigration. This new upstairs/downstairs system seems to work really well.

AT DMK YOU WILL FIND AN EFICIENT FREE BUS SERVICE THAT DEPARTS ON THE HOUR TO BKK AND VICE-VERSA. TAKES 50 MINUTES, DEPARTS FROM LEFT SIDE FRONT OF ARRIVALS LEVEL,(HEADING OUT FROM ARRIVALS) EASY TO LOCATE. GOOD LUCK!

Great info Borris, but please don't post in ALL CAPS, it's bad netiquette and difficult to read.

• 1 month later...

Have a look at the flight and departures website ...if there's a lot of flights then economy is slow..can be more than an hour to get through, especially if the check in counters are humming

If you are business class then Swampy has one of the best business class check in systems in the world....10 minutes normally