Thailand's telecom operators reduce 3G 2.1GHz package service fees 15%

Lite Beer

Thailand's telecom operators reduce 3G 2.1GHz package service fees 15%
By English News

13801756541561-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 26 – Thailand’s three telecommunications operators are honoring a price reduction requirement for their 3G services on the 2.1 gigahertz (GHz) spectrum, a senior official of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) said today.

Thakorn Tantasith, NBTC secretary general, said the three companies were instructed to lower fees for voice and non-voice services at no less than 15 per cent, as imposed in the licenses granted to them on December 7 last year.

The three operators are Advanced Wireless Network (AWN), DTAC Network (DTN) or TriNet, and Real Future (RF).

Mr Thakorn said AWN and RF lowered their 3G service fees on 2.1 GHz at 15 per cent while DTN offered price reduction up to 29 per cent.

In August, fees for voice service were Bt0.58-0.72/minute, a reduction from the required rate of Bt0.82/minute, or about 10-27 per cent, while internet or non-voice service were set to Bt0.15-0.26/minute, lower than the required rate of Bt0.28/minute, or about 7-46 per cent.

He said the 15 per cent fee decrease for voice and non-voice services are applied only to users of 3G mobile phones on 2.1 GHz spectrum. There are currently 11 million 3G on 2.1 GHz users from a total of 90 million users nationwide. Those using 2G and 3G services are not entitled to the price incentives. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-09-26

Hang on, you have to remember all Thai women have one for each ear??

You have to love Thailand, they send me a message "you have used your allowance, we are going to slow down your internet", you have to be kidding, I am in Isaan, the speed they promised was an increase, HA HA HA, DTAC you bunch of losers, HA HA HA.

Last year True move was not great so I tried a new carrier, FAIL DTAC, FAIL

Next year is another year so I will try again.

How can there be 90M users nationwide when the population of Thailand is only 68M???

Oh dear...methinks you are a little out of touch.......apart from many people having two phones, how about tablets and dongles? I have 4 SIMs in my name alone.

Then it would be better described as accounts, not users.

If 1 user has 10 accounts, it is still only 1 user.

How can there be 90M users nationwide when the population of Thailand is only 68M???

Oh dear...methinks you are a little out of touch.......apart from many people having two phones, how about tablets and dongles? I have 4 SIMs in my name alone.

I believe you can have 100 SIMs but you are still only one user.

I see I am a little late.

Late and in the minority a sad day for me.

• Like 1

It's a reasonable number; for example, the last time I looked, the national mobile phone coverage in Korea was 230%. That is, lots of people have three, four or even five phones...!

I believe you can have 100 SIMs but you are still only one user.

I see I am a little late.

Late and in the minority a sad day for me.

Well better than 100 users and only one SIMlaugh.png

• Like 1

Quote: "There are currently 11 million 3G on 2.1 GHz users from a total of 90 million users nationwide."

He didn't say sim cards and he didn't say mobile phones. He said users. Since users are frequently people, he means 90 M people. facepalm.gif

Quote: "There are currently 11 million 3G on 2.1 GHz users from a total of 90 million users nationwide."

He didn't say sim cards and he didn't say mobile phones. He said users. Since users are frequently people, he means 90 M people. facepalm.gif

I expect they count by number of SIMs in use. Of course each SIM will have a name registered to it, but it's also common for say the Mom or Dad to have most of the family SIMs registered in their names versus there kids which could be pretty young. Now of course this means registered names are being double counted. Plus as mentioned by others many people have more than one device/have multiple SIMs. Counting by the number of active SIMs would be more accurate of actual usage than by registered names and is probably what the 90M users represents.

this is nit-picking.

WHO said it? Well it is a quote by a paper.....so is it secondary / tertiary source?

furthermore many companies may have various phones, tablets and whatever used by many different people.....who also have their own multiple gadgets.....the point is not really the semantics it is the number of accounts in use that is important - however poorly expressed by the source or the reporters I think we can get the message.

As i pointed out earlier, when 3G was introduced the companies were asked to make it 15% cheaper than before, but all they did was introduce a load of new packages making it impossible to compare the old and new pricings - so now at least we have something to compare.

BTW - I went to AIS the other day to top up and internet SIM and was told that a "new" package was available that had unlimited internet and 1GB at hi-speed. However this is what I thought I had had in the first place......the result instead of paying 350 baht, I now pay 399 baht..........I give up!

Edited by wilcopops

Easy. Females have a phone for each ear.

Oops I was a click to late on my reply.

They have one for each boyfriend, so they know exactly who is calling.

There are currently 11 million 3G on 2.1 GHz users from a total of 90 million users nationwide.

Population explosion?

Actually, the reason is that Thailand has the largest per capita phone ownership in the world. Can't remember where I read it, but many have two and three mobile phones! I have many students with two phones and it is a constant topic of conversation with them. Personally, I've never been in a country where the dreaded mobile is so ubiquitous.

• Like 1

Assume everyone has at least 2 x smartphones and a tablet each......................wink.png

Pretty reasonable guesstimate...............rolleyes.gif