Karma - Merit

RandomSand

Recently I've started to feel bad about what I have done to others in the past.

Actually; I'm not confident that I'll ever be able to make-up for it all... no matter how much merit I make.

So in effect I've already judged myself and the verdict is very bad sad.png

Please, I ask someone who can relate to this, is there any hope for me ? ..something I can do for myself?

I think I've already already condemned myself to eternal hell-fire and don't know what to do facepalm.gif

Please.. if you want to debate if hell or karma exists then open another thread.

Thanks.

Edited by RandomSand

If you find someone who can give you the answer,to being absolved of all past blame,and what you regret in your dealings with others,then please share with us, no one is blame free in a lifetime,but some would never admit to it,and continue to think themselves perfect!

A wise man judges himself before others!

Hi R S.

It's important not to feel bad about yourself, particularly over something which hasn't happened.

Whilst it's said that the fruits of Kharma (Vipaka) can't be stopped, practicing the eightfold path, allows one to cope with these without attachment.

A place you can begin, is by expelling "negative mental attitudes" by immersing yourself in the four immeasurables (Brahmaviharas), the "sublime attitudes".

1. Loving Kindness (Pāli: mettā, Sanskrit: maitrī) towards all: the hope that a person will be well; "the wish that all sentient beings, without any exception, be happy."
  2. Compassion (Pāli and Sanskrit: karuṇā): the hope that a person's sufferings will diminish; "the wish for all sentient beings to be free from suffering."
  3. Empathetic Joy (Pāli and Sanskrit: mudita): joy in the accomplishments of a person—oneself or another; sympathetic joy; "the wholesome attitude of rejoicing in the happiness and virtues of all sentient beings."
  4. Equanimity (Pāli: upekkhā, Sanskrit: upekṣā): learning to accept loss and gain, good-repute and ill-repute, praise and censure, sorrow and happiness. It is a clear-minded tranquil state of mind—not being overpowered by delusions, mental dullness or agitation.

You can take these attitudes, individually into your meditation, and/or introduce them into your Mindfulness.

They'll soon push away your negative thoughts.

Should something befall you, you'll be too busy, with your mind filled with the sublime to become too attached.

• Like 1

You may say I am daft w00t.gif , oh go on then smile.png , but I am a firm believer in ''What goes around, comes around'' in some way or another. And if my life is anything to go by, it's true. sad.png

Nobody can make amends to wrong doing if the wrong doing involved people, cos they may never be healed from your actions.

Folk who have been sent to jail, come out and say ''I have paid my debt to society'', to me that is a load of rolox.

Very difficult subject, and I wonder what goes through terrorists heads in later life remembering they shot unarmed women and children really for nothing bah.gif .

• Like 2

We don't have to wait for the next life to experience the results of karma we create in this life.

A drug dealer having a nice life on his ill gotten riches will certainly start to suffer from doubts and worries as he gets older and closer to the inevitable death and reckoning.

I believe most rich people got there by immoral means, and their riches do not guarantee them happiness.

@RandomSand

You could try some form of atonement. It has worked for me before. Say, for example, you once refused to lend someone money when they needed it. If and when you have the opportunity, be generous when people ask you for money in the future. The closer the atonement is to the type of bad deed done in the past, the more relief you'll feel.

One difficult thing is when you see these charts they make showing all the 31 different realms....and average lifetimes in each realm...the lowest heaven nearest to the human realm shows the one day and night there is equal to 50 human years...and so on. The problem arises when we look at the hell realms, of which there are many, depending upon the kind of punishment to fit the crime. Here we see extraordinary lengths of time reaching into millions of years and longer.

I then think....does any evil deeds deserve this amount of punishment?

I learned from my teacher LP jaran that karma has interest....it is not simply an eye for an eye. The interest often far outweighs the original. This is because both good and bad deeds spread out, like the ripples on a pond from a thrown pebble, to have far reaching effects.

Suppose I kill somebody, then one can imagine the being which has has its life cut short has a karmic debt with me. But then what about the suffering, mostly mental, of the friends, relatives, maybe wife and children of that person, and how it might cause real hardship to those people if the person was the main breadwinner....and how those kids will suffer later by not having a Father and normal family life...etc... We cannot know how far the effects reach out from our act.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...