Does anyone have investments in Thai market?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wait for the next coup...there seem to be one quite often. Buy when there is blood and the street and no one would like to touch Thai stocks. :)

as a more serious note, i dont think right now is the ideal time to be buyer, weakening baht, western stock markets recovery, failed Yingluck subsidisings, inpending flood once again, very similarly handled than 2 yrs ago...etc.

• Like 2

wait for the next coup...there seem to be one quite often. Buy when there is blood and the street and no one would like to touch Thai stocks. smile.png

as a more serious note, i dont think right now is the ideal time to be buyer, weakening baht, western stock markets recovery, failed Yingluck subsidisings, inpending flood once again, very similarly handled than 2 yrs ago...etc.

the military coup in september 2006 had virtually no impact on the Thai stock market. the SET gained 8.5% only six weeks after the coup and the Thai Baht gained vs. most major currencies.

post-35218-0-49851600-1380475208_thumb.j

wait for the next coup...there seem to be one quite often. Buy when there is blood and the street and no one would like to touch Thai stocks. smile.png

the military coup in september 2006 had virtually no impact on the Thai stock market. the SET gained 8.5% only six weeks after the coup and the Thai Baht gained vs. most major currencies.

attachicon.gifSET 2006.jpg

and there was little blood either.

but we are spoiling with facts interesting tingtong tales whistling.gif

Spot on Tingtong Buffet,when everyones running for the door buy and wait,when they reach all time highs and people can't get enough sell.Simple enough but works everytime.Patience is the key.

but we are spoiling with facts interesting tingtong tales whistling.gif

pls dont spoil :)

the facts are that usually military coup is not a positive thing, and it happens in Thailand more than many other countries. just just seem to love this kind of democracy. as for the comment on blood, was a general for coup, not thailand specific only, but whatever. at elast you took the time reading it, impressed.

the fact is that 2006 was a rather bullish year in the world markets...including for thai economy.

and that 2013 the mood isnt eactly the same, especially toward developing countries.

all in all, i still believe that right now, today, it isnt the best time to invest into thai stocks.

Spot on Tingtong Buffet,when everyones running for the door buy and wait,when they reach all time highs and people can't get enough sell.Simple enough but works everytime.Patience is the key.

Judging by the shrewdness with which you so cavarlierly invested in a property on another thread today, forgive me for thinking that whatever advice you give on a thread about money, I will do exactly the opposite. . . . .

pls dont spoil smile.png

the facts are that usually military coup is not a positive thing, and it happens in Thailand more than many other countries. just just seem to love this kind of democracy. as for the comment on blood, was a general for coup, not thailand specific only, but whatever. at elast you took the time reading it, impressed.

the fact is that 2006 was a rather bullish year in the world markets...including for thai economy.

and that 2013 the mood isnt eactly the same, especially toward developing countries.

all in all, i still believe that right now, today, it isnt the best time to invest into thai stocks.

i fully agree with you concerning "not the best time to invest in Thai stocks" but that does not change the facts i mentioned.

And I love Thai stocks. Guys you sell and I buy from you. Thailand is growing for the last, how many years? 50? And will continue to do so. Buy now and check your port in 5 years. You should do well.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As many of the "public" companies in Thailand are still essentially family run businesses, which is not helped by poor public information and weak/misleading equity research coverage, there is a problem of asymmetric information (and the obstacles this creates when trying to asses fundamental fair value vs current price) when investing in individual Thai stocks.

Therefore for Thai equities, I would recommend being very careful not to over allocate to any one stock, or maybe (if you are not seeking super high returns) better just invest in the market as a whole, if you have the capital required to access a relatively low management cost index/tracker funds.

If you like to research and invest in individual businesses, getting involved with smaller (pre-IPO) private companies may be a better way to go in Thailand as then you can be a real insider and have access to much higher potential returns for a risk which isn't necessarily much more than investing in individual public stocks.

Judging by the shrewdness with which you so cavarlierly invested in a property on another thread today, forgive me for thinking that whatever advice you give on a thread about money, I will do exactly the opposite. . . . .

You've quiet clearly got hold of the wrong end of the dick.I was merely agreeing with Tingtong Buffets posting,which is quiet clearly the doctrine of Tingtongs Uncle warren.By all means,please feel free to do the opposite,then perhaps one day Mr Scobie Redux, Barrister at the Bar,will indeed be worth far more money than Tingtongs Uncle Warren.

Trust the Klingon to be on the side of the warlords.

Actually it was the policies of the junta backed Bank of Thailand governor and the Finance Minister who in 2006 installed capital controls on foreign inward transfers, causing the Stock market to collapse 15% in a single day. Then seeing the stock market jump by over 12% the next day after realising how stupid they were and within 24 hours of announcing the policy they removed the capital controls for stocks immediately .

But yes, Thailand is a good place to invest providing you are buying at a deep discount. Wait for tragedy then invest.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

And I love Thai stocks. Guys you sell and I buy from you. Thailand is growing for the last, how many years? 50? And will continue to do so. Buy now and check your port in 5 years. You should do well.

Hahaha, you are obviously very young. People that lived here in the 90s might have a different opinion. Markets do go down as well as up

Trust the Klingon to be on the side of the warlords.

Actually it was the policies of the junta backed Bank of Thailand governor and the Finance Minister who in 2006 installed capital controls on foreign inward transfers, causing the Stock market to collapse 15% in a single day. Then seeing the stock market jump by over 12% the next day after realising how stupid they were and within 24 hours of announcing the policy they removed the capital controls for stocks immediately .

But yes, Thailand is a good place to invest providing you are buying at a deep discount. Wait for tragedy then invest.

stating simple facts is not "siding" and the short drop caused by the very short capital controls does not change the fact that the Thai stock market gained after the coup.

p.s. irrelevant yakety-yak doesn't change verifiable facts either.

disclaimer: i have never owned any Thai stock and will most probably never own any.

Edited by Naam

I cannot complain doubled my money in about 6 months thanks to the crazy monetary scams in the states. At present the market is down from its high of a few months ago. I got all of my money out and have put a bit back in but would not put all back in at present. As mentioned there are some good dividends paid by a few companies. I stick with blue chips and have done ok, but with monetary easing coming to an end in the states the days of fast money are over now it is for the long haul.

Hahaha, you are obviously very young. People that lived here in the 90s might have a different opinion. Markets do go down as well as up

Yep, buy low-sell high worked great in the 90s and is still good. :) Gotta love emerging markets.

• Like 1

Good strategy, only one simple question.

How do you know when it's at it lowest and highest ? Crystal ball ?

what a question! you read the business section of the "Nation" unsure.png

• Like 1

You're never going to get it 100% spot on,but you can look at the price of a particular share over a certain amount of time, and can gauge near enough when it's at it's lowest, and highest.Warren Buffets theory is to do the opposite of 99% of the people.When there's panic and prices are low, buy and hold,when the price is high and everyones buying you sell.Who can argue with Mr Buffet,and people who have followed and trusted his theory including myself have made themselves a lot of money.I repeat patience is the key.

what a question! you read the business section of the "Nation" unsure.png

You're free to answer my question, but I don't think it's that easy.

Because an equity is at it's 100 day low or 52 week low or historical low doesn't mean it can't go down any further.

If it was that easy, everyone would make a profit, but seemingly it are only privileged investors like Buffet and TV members that are in the league

Edited by jbrain

Ask the guy that has not put his return sheet up for days....

what about asking those who bought Thai stocks nearly 20 years ago when the SET was 1,753, checked their portfolio 4 years later and realised that the SET dropped 88% and the Baht dropped 50% what they think of "50 years of growth"?

sent on Klingonic modulated and encrypted high priority subspace frequency wink.png

• Like 1

Really? You mean there's not a whole bunch of free money just sitting around for the taking, enabling you to get rich with no risk and without doing any work? Shock!

Because an equity is at it's 100 day low or 52 week low or historical low doesn't mean it can't go down any further.

Profound insight. And that would be the end of you, right? You'd have sell in fear and hoard the remains in your ol' savings account.

Actually it doesn't have to matter. It didn't for Nathan Rothschild: "I never buy at the bottom and I always sell too soon." He did well enough.

If hindrances obstruct thy way,

Thy magnanimity display,

And let thy strength be seen;

But Oh! if fortune fill thy sail

With more than a propitious gale,

Take half thy canvas in.

—Horace, The Golden Mean

Be great if the share price goes down further. Then you can pick up even cheaper shares, same as you would an even cheaper case of Singha,. Oh no--jbrain, you invested your entire fortune, your life savings, at that 52 week low? Sorry, man. Should have attended that seminar. smile.png Now you'll have to wait. Longer.

But then a meteor can crash into the earth, true. Sigh. It's always something, eh. Should have listened to midas, except he should have invested not in gold but in soap, which people really, really need in The Apocalypse. Cf. Germany just after WW II.

If it was that easy, everyone would make a profit, but seemingly it are only privileged investors like Buffet and TV members that are in the league

Nonsense. Merely means you don't understand equity investing and aren't doing the research needed. You don't know anything about Buffet, really, so how do you know you can't do what he did? Here you go: start learning something: http://www.amazon.com/The-Intelligent-Investor-Definitive-Investing/dp/0060555661/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1380716787&sr=8-4&keywords=warren+buffet

Now, it's just a fact that you just can't depend on everyone to do something. Nope. I'd think everyone could live free of debt, except for a home mortgage. Ha! Silly me.

Really? You mean there's not a whole bunch of free money just sitting around for the taking, enabling you to get rich with no risk and without doing any work? Shock!

Profound insight. And that would be the end of you, right? You'd have sell in fear and hoard the remains in your ol' savings account.

Actually it doesn't have to matter. It didn't for Nathan Rothschild: "I never buy at the bottom and I always sell too soon." He did well enough.

If hindrances obstruct thy way,

Thy magnanimity display,

And let thy strength be seen;

But Oh! if fortune fill thy sail

With more than a propitious gale,

Take half thy canvas in.

—Horace, The Golden Mean

Be great if the share price goes down further. Then you can pick up even cheaper shares, same as you would an even cheaper case of Singha,. Oh no--jbrain, you invested your entire fortune, your life savings, at that 52 week low? Sorry, man. Should have attended that seminar. smile.png Now you'll have to wait. Longer.

But then a meteor can crash into the earth, true. Sigh. It's always something, eh. Should have listened to midas, except he should have invested not in gold but in soap, which people really, really need in The Apocalypse. Cf. Germany just after WW II.

Nonsense. Merely means you don't understand equity investing and aren't doing the research needed. You don't know anything about Buffet, really, so how do you know you can't do what he did? Here you go: start learning something: http://www.amazon.com/The-Intelligent-Investor-Definitive-Investing/dp/0060555661/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1380716787&sr=8-4&keywords=warren+buffet

Now, it's just a fact that you just can't depend on everyone to do something. Nope. I'd think everyone could live free of debt, except for a home mortgage. Ha! Silly me.

When you gonna post something useful instead of glorifying some idols of you ?

You realize that like those people there are only a handful in the whole world, so claiming that anyone can do the same is utter nonsense, and actually shows how much you know about investing.

Why don't you stop posting your dreams, because they exist only in your head, but in real life it is a different game.

When you gonna post something useful

What I posted was extremely useful but you can't see it. Kinda like showing E=MC2 to a plumber I guess.

• I answered your question about what to do in a falling market--buy some more shares and so reduce your cost per share, leading to profit with a much smaller rise in share price. It's utterly basic and is the reason Dollar Cost Averaging works so well.
  • I warned against Lump Sum investing that will leave you with nothing to invest when the market falls. Classic Warren Buffet advice.
  • I gave you the lead towards a classic source--THE classic source--of value investing to enable you to make an intelligent stock selection to minimize risk and enhance chances of a rise in share prices. And I did that because you implied a value orientation--there are others, such as Momentum.
  • And I told you, through Horace, to take profits as share prices rise. That way you'll have cash to reinvest when the market drops. You can't invest without a good strategy for taking advantage of the drops. That's why Warren Buffet, Peter Lynch, and countless others love drops so much even though a drop will reduce the value of their present holdings.

Wow. I should have presented you with a bill.

instead of glorifying some idols of you ?

Nowhere did I glorify anybody. smile.png I did point you towards successful investors from whom you could learn something. Heh.

When you want to learn a skill, you listen to its masters. If I wanted to learn how to play the guitar, I'd certainly listen to Segovia and read what he said about how to play the guitar. When I learned 5-string banjo (since forgotten) I bought Earl Scruggs' book (the master of the 5-string) and learned much of what he had to teach. It was enough: I was able to play in a band! At no time did I think I'd match Earl Scruggs, however. I didn't need to.

Just the other day, dividend.com, a site geared for the average investor, published The Unofficial Dividend.com Guide To Being An Investor. Right up at the top of the how-to advice list are these rules with which you strongly disagree:

2. Spend $2.99 and buy Warren Buffett’s shareholder letters. It’s the second-best investment you’ll ever make.

3. Spend a weekend reading Warren Buffett’s shareholder letters. It’s the best investment you’ll ever make.

I myself read Graham's Intelligent Investor long ago--and a lot of other investment books as well. It definitely helped my thinking about share valuations. If you think you know all about it already, more power to you! smile.png But then I wonder why you ask some of the questions you do?

You realize that like those people there are only a handful in the whole world, so claiming that anyone can do the same is utter nonsense, and actually shows how much you know about investing.

You keep throwing out this red herring--to ignore my points rather than actually answer them, and to avoid doing any real study--this red herring that I'm suggesting you can be Warren Buffet, so therefore you can't learn anything from him or any other published, recognized, successful expert.

To summarize your "refutation": no expert will guarantee that you will become an expert as good as the expert himself. Therefore you must refuse to learn anything from the expert. smile.png

I love this forum!

Then I wonder why you imagine you can learn from some amateurs on a forum? (Which I don't suggest) smile.png Looking for a hot tip, or just enjoying throwing out sneers and calling our local investors ignorant?

If you just need a forum for learning investing, head over to http://www.fool.com or http://www.fool.co.uk. Many years ago I followed the Dogs Of The Dow strategy that formed the basis of that forum. Worked great for while. Now the site has an incredible diversity.

Why don't you stop posting your dreams, because they exist only in your head, but in real life it is a different game.

But I never posted any dream whatsoever, you see.

In real life, the principle of buy low/sell high applies to everyone equally in all kinds of business endeavors. Same game.

Anyone, with effort and experience, can learn to use that principle more or less well to achieve better returns on their money than simple interest on a savings account--at the least. smile.png Countless average people have done so and are doing so, as I have. In equities, on public stock exchanges.

Edited by JSixpack