Denied double entry visa request in Laos

26 September 2013, the female at the passport collection windows at the Thai consulate attempted to deny my application by handing me my passport back. She said I had to many tourist visas. I refused to accept the visa and application back and told her to process it and stamp "NO" in it. After questioning me about how I could afford to stay in Thailand so long with out working, (I am retired U.S. Navy -46 years old) she reluctantly said she would submit it. However, she changed my request for double entry to single entry. She advised me to bring documents proving my retiree status as well as bank statements. The next day I picked up my passport which included a single entry visa.

I only have about 5 pages remaining in my passport, so I will obtain a new one from the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok instead of jumping through her hoops. Notarized letters verifying retiree status, pensions etc. from the U.S. embassy cost $50. I am sure you would only be able to use the letter for one visa run, then they would say it can not be over 30 days old.

If I could qualify for a retiree visa that would be great, but that requires you to be 50 years old.

In total, I had 5 double entry visas. The last visa issued Sep 2013 is my 6th and it is a single entry.

Jan 2011 - USA

July 2011 - Laos

Jan 2012- Laos

Sept 2012 - USA

Mar 2013 - Laos

Sep 2013 - Laos

I have considered an education visa, but I doubt I will study. It is my understanding that the immigration officers question you in Thai when you appear at the immigration office for extensions.

Your status as a "retired" member of the armed forces gives no special privileges in relation to immigration law.

Tourist visas are intended to facilitate tourism but your passport seems to suggest that an abuse of the system has taken place.

The Tourist visa and visa exempt entry's are not intended to facilitate long term stays.

I would suspect you will experience difficulty obtaining tourist visas in any of the nearby countries even if you can "prove" you are not working.

Your options are limited. You nay be able to gain an ed visa you do not have to study Thai but you will have to prove attendance if you wish the visa to be extended.

ED VISA ARE A SCAM..thats why they are tightening up..ASEAN 15

Why are they? If you read this forum you see how reputable schools obey the rules and deliver what you pay for: education and a visa.

I do not see many threads of scams, if you do please post the links.

"...then they would say it can not be over 30 days old."

The letters are good for 6 months.

OP, I assume you have some kind of disability retirement. Otherwise who wouldn't wonder how you could retire at your age.

Since a tourist visa doesn't require an income letter from your embassy, I would think that something from the navy showing you are retired would be good enough. All she asked for was bank statements and something saying you are retired.

Good luck.

I showed her my military retiree ID, which was not sufficient proof. I served honorably for 23 years before retiring and did not retire due to medical issues. 20 years of service is all that is required for a full retirement. I am well aware that it is unusual for a person my age to be retired. Bank statements and statements from the military financial arm (DFAS) indicating the amount of my pension is no problem. However I have no doubt that they would want these notarized as any one could easily doctor a computer generated pay statement from DFAS.

She didn't specifically say "notarized" buy it has been my experience here in Thailand to receive information from Thais in pieces. For example: only after I show up with documents would they inform me that the documents need to be notarized. Documents being good for 6 months is about valid for 1 double entry permit.

My plan B is to get a new passport.

Edited by FrankieDimes

I showed her my military retiree ID, which was not sufficient proof. I served honorably for 23 years before retiring and did not retire due to medical issues. 20 years of service is all that is required for a full retirement. I am well aware that it is unusual for a person my age to be retired. Bank statements and statements from the military financial arm (DFAS) indicating the amount of my pension is no problem. However I have no doubt that they would want these notarized as any one could easily doctor a computer generated pay statement from DFAS.

She didn't specifically say "notarized" buy it has been my experience here in Thailand to receive information from Thais in pieces. For example: only after I show up with documents would they inform me that the documents need to be notarized. Documents being good for 6 months is about valid for 1 double entry permit.

My plan B is to get a new passport.

Although, she didn't specifically say notarized

wont all the information on your previous visas be available to them in their computer system?

• Like 1

I doubt all the information is available and if it is, maybe there are too many applicants for them to check each individuals number of entries into Thailand, type of visa and dates all within 24 hour turn around time. If all this info was available and checked each time, many of us would have been denied entry long ago.

• Like 1

I doubt all the information is available and if it is, maybe there are too many applicants for them to check each individuals number of entries into Thailand, type of visa and dates all within 24 hour turn around time. If all this info was available and checked each time, many of us would have been denied entry long ago.

all they have to do is type your name in and all your info shud pop up on the screen in front of them.

Out of the thousands of applicants they get a day, why would they punch my name in the computer? However, If I have to go home or any other place I choose to go for a few months, it is not a problem for me. Even if I had to uproot myself from Thailand never to return, I wouldn't shed a tear. I am completely independent, mobile, socially adjusted and capable of adapting to other lifestyles, cultures, environments, etc. I don't lose sleep over the visa situation here.

• Like 1

Out of the thousands of applicants they get a day, why would they punch my name in the computer? However, If I have to go home or any other place I choose to go for a few months, it is not a problem for me. Even if I had to uproot myself from Thailand never to return, I wouldn't shed a tear. I am completely independent, mobile, socially adjusted and capable of adapting to other lifestyles, cultures, environments, etc. I don't lose sleep over the visa situation here.

i was of the understanding they do so for every foreigner as they apply for a visa and also as they enter thailand.

You can study anything, not only thai. Yes, the problem you face now is really weird in terms of logical thinking - you have funds, you already retired, but by local law you cant apply for retirement visa in next 4 years. So, if you want to stay here, just apply for ED, look for schools where you able to study anything but Thai and English. Then, you need 4 years, maybe you can switch schools in the middle.

Unfortunately, there is no anything like "long stayer visa, who meet financial req", except investment visa which is really expensive for most of expats. For me this is also a problem, if I dont want to study, work, marry and not reach age 50 now, but have funds. my own living place, income from abroad and can deposit 400/800k in Thai bank, I cant have long-stay visa until I go study, marry or retired.