Sending 40 kilos to Australia

ronniem

Postal service: SAL (non priority airmail - max 30kg). 20kg: 3310 bahts x 2 = 6620 bahts. This, to my knowledge is the cheapest way. Also you have a chance not to pay duty on arrival, if not too bulky (eye-catching to the custom officer). Not the case with DHL/FedEx. Transit time: approx. 20 days.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Perishable or non perishable items?

If perishable be mindful that you will need an import license in Australia for some products.

Cheapest way is the Thailand Post. You might be charged with import taxes and duties.

Most convenient is UPS, DHL, TNT or FedEx. You will be charged with import duties and Taxes in Australia. Depending on where you send it off you might be required to use a Thai company for export license and issuing of invoice.

Most expensive and not recommend is to use a logistic company/freight forwarder. They will require you to have a company for export and import. Plus documentation. All in all very expensive.

I have sent 40 kilos home a few times.

But her parents keep sending her back.

(Just kidding, sweetie, couldn't resist.)

My 40 kilos climbed into my suitcase last week as I was packing to go home for a holiday........I was tempted!!

I used to send stuff from Aust to BKK, found this business was the cheapest. not sure if it's the case for the reverse direction but you can try. ask them to give you an airfreight quote rather than sea-freight, it's a lot cheaper and quicker. they service door-to-door.

http://www.aas.co.th/

Edited by Thai-Aust

You haven't indicated what type of goods you are wanting to send ???

"HOME-MADE" foodstuffs of ANY kind to Australia are a "NO NO". They will be seized by AU Quarantine Service AND destroyed. However commercially produced AND packed items are usually okay BUT products containing any meat/fish/bird/feather products are PROHIBITED IMPORTS into AU [including any items containing EGGS and/or egg products including egg shells]. The fines are very severe for attempting to bring any such items into AU.

Any UNTREATED wooden products will also be seized ... BUT in certain circumstances you can arrange to have them FUMIGATED at a reasonable cost. I think the minimum is around AUD $30.

ACQIS has also refused import of any item or product made from ELEPHANT DUNG PAPER for a number of years now and is still not relenting on this decision. These items are admitted into most other countries including USA but not AU.

Personal items [ie clothing; costume jewellery; etc] and/or souvenirs/gifts for family and friends are ok provided they are less than AUD $1000.00 in value and/or not a "commercial" quantity [usually less than 50 items [of any one type] ... ok

IF uncertain you can call ACQIS [Australian Customs and Quarantine Inspection Service] in AU [search their WEBSITE on the net] ...

By far the cheapest way to send any goods is by SEA MAIL through ThaiPost BUT can take around 12 weeks to arrive. I have done this repeatedly over the past 13 years from BKK. Other TH regional ThaiPost centres take longer but I have done on several occasions [Chiang Mai; Nakhon Sawan].

Any other methods are much more expensive BUT if your financial circumstances or budget are not a problem [or you have a set delivery date] then pick what is most convenient from your TH location ...

GOOD LUCK ... ThaiPost is very reliable to AU and all my items seem to arrive ok since 2001.

Edited by brianlg

Postal service: SAL (non priority airmail - max 30kg). 20kg: 3310 bahts x 2 = 6620 bahts. This, to my knowledge is the cheapest way. Also you have a chance not to pay duty on arrival, if not too bulky (eye-catching to the custom officer). Not the case with DHL/FedEx. Transit time: approx. 20 days.

Good luck.

I recently sent 2 x 20kg boxes SAL from BKK to Aust using the PO in the MBK shopping complex. The charge was 6,400 baht per box, although the actual postage cost per box was only 3,310 Baht. [stamps on the box]. I found out later that there are many privately run PO's in BKK and a few government run ones. I guess I used a privately run PO & this explains the mark up on the postage costs. However it was very convenient & the staff were very helpful. No duty on arrival as it was everyday non perishable goods valued at less than $1,000. I also sent 1 x 20kg box by sea and this cost 4,400 Baht, although the actual postage cost was only 2,740 Baht.

The prices were listed in an official booklet according to type of postage and weight. I really didn't give it much thought at the time but obviously I paid too much.

Any advice as to where I should take future packages for posting whilst paying the correct postage costs would be appreciated.

Edited by johnnycthedog

Good luck.

I recently sent 2 x 20kg boxes SAL from BKK to Aust using the PO in the MBK shopping complex. The charge was 6,400 baht per box, although the actual postage cost per box was only 3,310 Baht. [stamps on the box]. I found out later that there are many privately run PO's in BKK and a few government run ones. I guess I used a privately run PO & this explains the mark up on the postage costs. However it was very convenient & the staff were very helpful. No duty on arrival as it was everyday non perishable goods valued at less than $1,000. I also sent 1 x 20kg box by sea and this cost 4,400 Baht, although the actual postage cost was only 2,740 Baht.

The prices were listed in an official booklet according to type of postage and weight. I really didn't give it much thought at the time but obviously I paid too much.

Any advice as to where I should take future packages for posting whilst paying the correct postage costs would be appreciated.

OK - Outside the quote box this time round to avoid the wrath of the Moderator..

To repeat - I recently sent 2 x 20kg boxes SAL from BKK to Aust. using the PO in the MBK shopping complex.. The charge was 6,400 Baht per box, although the actual postage cost per box was only 3,310 Baht [stamps on the box] I found out later that there are many privately run PO's in BKK and a few government run ones. I guess I used a privately run PO & this explains the mark up on the postage costs. However it was very convenient & the staff were very helpful. I also sent 1 x 20kg box by sea and this cost 4,400 Baht, although the actual postage cost was only 2,740 Baht [stamps on the box].

The prices were listed in an official booklet according to type of postage and weight. I really didn't give it much thought at the time but obviously I paid too much. And I can remember thinking at the time that this was more than I thought it should cost.

Any advice as to where I should take future packages for posting in BKK whilst paying the correct postage costs would be appreciated. Or have I missed something in the whole process?