I Do Get Impressed......

theblether

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely agree. I knew one girl who worked 6am to 8pm in her shop every day for nearly 2 years, and was always as smiley and friendly as if it was her first day. Also very helpful and good at her job. I married her!

I'm not blind to the short comings of the Thai work ethic/attitude, but when it's good it's amazing.

Yes, Mrs Possum has a good work ethic, as well as looking after her ageing parents who live nearby, she also works at her own business, she only has an odd day off when we both go out together, apart from that she works every day.

Another rich farang being "jai-dee" by handing over his vouchers from 7-11 and his empty bottles to the poor hardworking natives!!

As for the work-ethics of young Thai ladies, let me just say, I don't share your view. Having had (and still have) 50-60 young ladies working for me at any given time in more than 10 years, my experiece tells me, that they don't even know the meaning of the word work-ethics.

The ladies you mention (all respect to them) simply don't have a choice!

Most young Thai men are equally as equally hard working and keen to do a good job, its just a matter opening our eyes to see the truth and have a possitive view of young people.

ie give them the chance to prove themselves and their own worth - like the chance most of us where given by older people when we where young.

probably true but the examples the Blether provides are in eating places or hotels domestics where there are more likely to be females working or maybe he just notices the females more, I know I do

Another rich farang being "jai-dee" by handing over his vouchers from 7-11 and his empty bottles to the poor hardworking natives!!

As for the work-ethics of young Thai ladies, let me just say, I don't share your view. Having had (and still have) 50-60 young ladies working for me at any given time in more than 10 years, my experiece tells me, that they don't even know the meaning of the word work-ethics.

Or another rich farang being jai-dahm by slagging off the peons that work (with all respect to them) with equally as much choice to make him rich

Most of my friends in Thailand work bloody hard, are ambitious and educated. That is why the continuos Thai-bashing on TV really riles me sometimes.

And it also helps with your identity of being the right kind of farang, unlike all the wrong kinds of farang that populate TV.

• Like 1

Most of my friends in Thailand work bloody hard, are ambitious and educated. That is why the continuos Thai-bashing on TV really riles me sometimes.

my neighbour even cleans my patio, just like that, nice to be nice! thai bashing is done by frustrated farang who bash EVERYTHING except themselves.

• Like 2

Most young Thai men are equally as equally hard working and keen to do a good job, its just a matter opening our eyes to see the truth and have a possitive view of young people.

ie give them the chance to prove themselves and their own worth - like the chance most of us where given by older people when we where young.

I have given many young men/women a chance and been let down on many occasions, I dont live in Bangkok but out in the country and many simply want to sit around and get paid for it.

Maybe once they migrate to Bangkok they change/adapt to a better work ethic?

Where I live I simply cannot find anyone to help me in a reasonable way ie turning up on time or even within 30 minutes and when they do work like a tortoise or tell me they have a headache and have to go home.

To watch them dig a hole is painstaking so i end up doing it all myself, yes its hard work at times but I'm not afraid to get stuck in and at the end of the day feel at least I have achieved something when I stand back and look at whats been done.

These people are way younger than me and much more able, Wife asked one to cut some trees down and he just said he didnt have a machete, we went out and bought him one and he still wasnt in the least bit interested, instead he spent all day larking about with my builders who said he just follows us around but wasnt employed by them.

Depends what your work environment is like and I think yours GH is probably a big company employing well educated motivated staff?

Recently however I managed to find 2 Myanmar staff, the one is e very good and willing the other just very dim and not so willing, the boy cajoles her along and carries her so i keep them both, a job for them for possibly 25+ years.

Edited by kannot

I have given many young men/women a chance and been let down on many occasions, I dont live in Bangkok but out in the country and many simply want to sit around and get paid for it.

Where I live I simply cannot find anyone to help me in a reasonable way ie turning up on time or even within 30 minutes and when they do work like a tortoise or tell me they have a headache and have to go home.

To watch them dig a hole is painstaking so i end up doing it all myself, yes its hard work at times but I'm not afraid to get stuck in and at the end of the day feel at least I have achieved something when I stand back and look at whats been done.

These people are way younger than me and much more able, Wife asked one to cut some trees down and he just said he didnt have a machete, we went out and bought him one and he still wasnt in the least bit interested, instead he spent all day larking about with my builders who said he just follows us around but wasnt employed by them.

Depends what your work environment is like and I think yours GH is probably a big company employing well educated motivated staff?

You're right, you do seem to be struggling with that 'motivaiton' bit.

• Like 1

You're right, you do seem to be struggling with that 'motivaiton' bit.

You mean the free drinks (with an "S") everyday ie coffee in a can or m150? the increased salary 400 baht from local 2-300? c'mon Gh you can do better than that.

Sorry but maybe you are just a t#!t to work for?

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

Sorry but maybe you are just a t#!t to work for?

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

or maybe not???

• Like 1

I have not witnessed the Thai work ethic here in Pattaya. I'm buying a high rise condo and waiting for completion that's 6 months late. There are 2 average sized bathrooms in my new condo and it took 5 men working 7 days a week 4 weeks to complete the job. That same job in the USA would have been 2 days for 2 men. The female house keepers at the condo I live in now work several hours in the morning then sit on the stairs and comb each other's hair and play games on their cell phone until quitting time.

I am delighted to hear there are hard working Thais as I have great respect for anyone that does their best in life. But I think a hard working Thai is an anomaly not the norm,

• Like 1

Motivation to do a good job comes from within 1self. You can steer, direct and correct but its mentality what matters. Went always to a deli in patong to buy bread. Fresh rolls of bread i only wanted. After 1 time speaking with the girl behind the counter of the bakery, explaining that i dont like yesterdays bread, everytime after she just knotted NO if not available or put fresh rolls on the counter. MENTALITY. IMO a girl like her, based on what ive seen, is a rarity. She made me smile though everytime i came there.