New Kanchanaburi border crossing open?

So:tomorrow my young brother needs to go his ever first border run:first time to Thailand,arrived last month,first ever border run.Can he gets there for doing it?

Yes. Reading what they wrote and according to reports, one land visa exempt entry after arrival by air is allowed.

Direct from an immigration official at the border in Tak:

"Only Non-Imm Multiple visas are allowed to cross into Burma/Cambodia/Laos without at visa from that country already in the passport."

This is a new policy that should be being enforced equally at all border crossings.

If you have a Non-Imm single entry you will not be allowed to cross unless you have a visa for your destination. Getting back in is therefore a question of getting a new visa...

This is just false (for Laos and Cambodia), ridiculous and had been disproved by report comings after 17/7.

There is no way a low rank immigration officer stationed to whatever border can comment on national or other borders policies.

Edited by paz

"Only Non-Imm Multiple visas are allowed to cross into Burma/Cambodia/Laos without at visa from that country already in the passport."

This is a new policy that should be being enforced equally at all border crossings.

If you have a Non-Imm single entry you will not be allowed to cross unless you have a visa for your destination. Getting back in is therefore a question of getting a new visa...

This is just false (for Laos and Cambodia), ridiculous and had been disproved by report comings after 17/7.

There is no way a low rank immigration officer stationed to whatever border can comment on national or other borders policies.

I agree. Absolute crap because you could be passing through Thailand on your way to Cambodia, Vietnam, China and then I dunno, Russia, Europe perhaps? Or you might fly out of Vietnam after having seen Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam overland. Obviously land border crossings will still be allowed and for Laos and Cambodia, some nationalities don't even need visas before arriving (for example ASEAN nationals and Russia/Japan/S Korea/Luxembourg/Switzerland for Laos), most others of course can buy their visas at the border (which is almost invariably cheaper than going to the embassies/consulates concerned). The only problems might be for visa runners wanting to do a turnaround at the border. For everyone else, heading into Cambodia or Laos shouldn't be a problem.

For Myanmar as we have already established, a visa in advance is required due to their unique restrictions on onward travel without a visa and return to Thailand they insist upon, if entering on a temporary border pass.

I believe, that this border crossing will remain of little relevance to Farangs as long as the long promised highway connection between Dawaei and the Thai- border is not in place.

Therefore, I have allowed myself to ask about the progress of said connection in the Central-Forum and the Myanmar Travel Forum. Got no feedback whatsoever.

Considering this, I must assume that for the foreseeable future, it remains a border crossing for adventure-type Farangs willing to go inland by Ox-Cart or 4-wheel drive vehicle with proper visa issues by the Myanmar Embassy in BKK beforehand.

As it is, as long as the infamous highway connection between Dawaei and the Thai-border is non-existent, the "new border crossing in Kanchanabury" will never serve the needs of Farangs like the border crossings Laos/Cambodia.

Of course, a useful border crossing in this area would make live much easier for plenty of Farangs living in Central-Thailand. In the meantime, us folks living in central Thailand remain on "standby".

Bold as I am, I must ask: Anyone in the know of how far the highway connection Dawaei/Thailand has progressed, if at all?

Cheers.

I am just quoting what I was told.

As for your logic, I am baffled. How do national policies that are only implemented/actioned at border crossing and other entry-points get implemented if the personnel at those places don't know what they are? I can imagine responses stating that this is thailand, and nobody knows anything, anywhere, but I don't subscribe to those derogatory perspectives.

Sent - how is not that important...

I believe, that this border crossing will remain of little relevance to Farangs as long as the long promised highway connection between Dawaei and the Thai- border is not in place.

Therefore, I have allowed myself to ask about the progress of said connection in the Central-Forum and the Myanmar Travel Forum. Got no feedback whatsoever.

Considering this, I must assume that for the foreseeable future, it remains a border crossing for adventure-type Farangs willing to go inland by Ox-Cart or 4-wheel drive vehicle with proper visa issues by the Myanmar Embassy in BKK beforehand.

As it is, as long as the infamous highway connection between Dawaei and the Thai-border is non-existent, the "new border crossing in Kanchanabury" will never serve the needs of Farangs like the border crossings Laos/Cambodia.

Of course, a useful border crossing in this area would make live much easier for plenty of Farangs living in Central-Thailand. In the meantime, us folks living in central Thailand remain on "standby".

Bold as I am, I must ask: Anyone in the know of how far the highway connection Dawaei/Thailand has progressed, if at all?

Cheers.

It may only last as long as the current immigration chief of the border is stationed there. He made the decision to stop Westerners from using it as a border-run destination. A decision that must be costing the visa run economy about 1m a month (400b x 80 to 100 people per day.)

It is really just a massive building site, in 5 yrs time it's going to be a massive border.

Whenever a new chief is stationed there, things may change.

Ah well, Club Andaman does have a nice hotel plus a DF shop. whistling.gif

Watch out because from reports Ranong immigration seems to be actively preventing all and any type of out / in hops.

Denied entry with a multiple non imm

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

if you didnt have a visa for Myanmar, then they of course they aren't going to let you in.

Until very recently you were allowed to enter Burma at Nam Ron, for a visa run, without a Burmese visa. I have been doing this myself since last year using a multi entry non-o. Very convenient as I live in Kanchanaburi.

You still do not need a Burmese visa for border hops at Mae Sot and Mae Sai.

• Like 1

Ah well, Club Andaman does have a nice hotel plus a DF shop. whistling.gif

Watch out because from reports Ranong immigration seems to be actively preventing all and any type of out / in hops.

I hope not as i have just cancelled my train tkt to Kanchanaburi, loose Bht150. and now i am driving my car over to Ranong from Samui on 14th. facepalm.gif

Edited by oldsailor35

I have a multi non-o. If I get a visa for Myanma from Bangkok, does anyone think it would be possible at Kanchanaburi to do an in and out still?

Risky, and also a lot of hassle.

Probably better to just get an E-Visa for Cambodia, and head to Poipet. sad.png

Keep us updated though, I'd be interested. Also about the Visa application process.

Edited by Deacon Bell

Cheers.

Yes it will. You just need a visa issued by Myanmar beforehand. It can definitely become a big crossing and I don't understand the big deal about the Myanmar visa? Being too cheap or lazy to spend a day at the Myanmar embassy, which liberally hands out visas without any care in the world, is not a good excuse. Currently hundreds of westerners cross between Cambodia and Vietnam, and between Laos and Vietnam daily. Guess what? The vast majority (except Scandinavians and Russians, South Koreans and Japanese) need Vietnam visas in advance but that doesn't deter most in the slightest. While it may seem to be a slight inconvenience, obtaining a Myanmar visa to cross this border is NOT a big deal, never has been. Same goes for most countries that have an advance visa requirement.

And as far as border runs are concerned, in the south even non-imm O multi entries visa holders are being asked to spend a night outside of Thailand. So the concept of a one day in/out border run is ending. If you get a Myanmar visa, head to Dawei (and yes there is a road, just it's not in the best condition) and then come back. Not a big deal if you have to travel all the way to a border you might as well have some fun and spend a couple of days in another country. That or get a proper long stay extension of stay from immigration.

I have a multi non-o. If I get a visa for Myanma from Bangkok, does anyone think it would be possible at Kanchanaburi to do an in and out still?

Probably no problem, but why not go to Dawei? Why the one day in/outs? What's so difficult about spending a night or two in a neighboring country?

Risky, and also a lot of hassle.

Probably better to just get an E-Visa for Cambodia, and head to Poipet. sad.png

Keep us updated though, I'd be interested. Also about the Visa application process.

He could be refused at Poipet for doing a one day in/out. However, I have not heard of a non-imm O being a problem there, but I see little hassle when it comes to the Myanmar visa. Could even get an agent to obtain the visa for him.

However, I always recommend spending a night or two away between border runs. So whether it's Myanmar or Cambodia, comes to the same thing really except Cambodia doesn't require a visa in advance for most nationalities, unless you're say Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan or Nigerian, in which case you'll find it easier to get a Myanmar visa than a Cambodian visa (speaking from personal experience helping a Sri Lankan friend).

They could view the Westerner showing up with an actual visa as a bit cheeky, with the new chief deciding to pretty much close the border to Westerners (reports of guards jeering 'No more farang' when the new rules came in).

They could demand to see your hotel bookings etc. and not allow you to leave the same day.

It's not a place to be stuck, middle of nowhere and nothing but a dirty building site with nothing at all for a long, long way on the Burmese side.

Getting an E-Visa for Cambodia online (quick and easy) and pretty much risk free would be a safer, more advisable option.

Edited by Deacon Bell

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this has been addressed in other threads, but I just completed my visa run without a hitch. I went to Mae Sot with no Burmese visa in my passport. It all went down like every time prior; stamped out, walk over, pay 500 Baht, walk back, stamped in with 90 days. I am on a Non-Imm 'O' issued in Singapore (FWTW).

Looks like my mate at immigration was right, but if you believe the nay-sayers like paz, Mae Sot is actually cut off from national policy and operating in a vacuum until someone with brain turns up and corrects them and we are all forced to get a visa for Burma.

• Like 1

Looks like my mate at immigration was right, but if you believe the nay-sayers like paz, Mae Sot is actually cut off from national policy and operating in a vacuum until someone with brain turns up and corrects them and we are all forced to get a visa for Burma.

Not sure why you are mentioning me but if you can please show me where I ever said one needs a Myanmar visa for Mae Sot border hop.

Check your post #123 in this thread. You and tomtomtom69, post #124. Were you two correct, my visa run yesterday would have been a failure. Or am I reading you wrong?

Not sure why you are mentioning me but if you can please show me where I ever said one needs a Myanmar visa for Mae Sot border hop.

Check your post #123 in this thread. You and tomtomtom69, post #124. Were you two correct, my visa run yesterday would have been a failure. Or am I reading you wrong?

You are, below post #123. You reported a Thai officer saying that"'only non-imm 'O" multiple visa holder can cross to any other country without a visa for that country".

I contested that there is no such policy. For example a person can be on an extension of stay, with re-entry permit, or have multiple entry tourist visa, etc, still without a visa for that country.

I never wrote you would not have been able to cross to Myanmar, did I ?

DualSportBiker, on 17 Jul 2014 - 10:31, said:snapback.png

Not sure if this has been addressed in other threads, but I just completed my visa run without a hitch. I went to Mae Sot with no Burmese visa in my passport. It all went down like every time prior; stamped out, walk over, pay 500 Baht, walk back, stamped in with 90 days. I am on a Non-Imm 'O' issued in Singapore (FWTW).

Uh, I am not sure why you are mentioning Mae Sot in this post as it is a different border crossing to the one in Kanchanaburi and this thread specifically deals with the Kanchanaburi border. As far as we have been told the Kanchanaburi border crossing is now closed for visa runs as of July, as other posters have mentioned. In order to not confuse Me further, could you please clarify?

Edited by DavidMavec
  • Like 1

It was my understanding that changes were pervasive and would drive the need to get a visa for the neighbouring country regardless of where the border was to be crossed.

Other posters have already stated that the border at Kanchanaburi is closed to visa runs as of mid-July based on their experience and nobody has demonstrated evidence to proof otherwise. Why don't you drive to Kanchanaburi for your border run next time? Then you can make such a statement and many of us will appreciate your dedication. Otherwise, please don't make such a statement as it is most likely wrong and could potentially end up with others wasting their time going to the border and worse.

My statement that Mae Sot operates as normal is not in error, and as I clearly state Mae Sot, room for confusion is moderate to none.

This is the Kanchanaburi border crossing thread, not Mae Sot border crossing thread. Some posters are not familiar with all the names but may have understood you to mean the border with which this thread deals, not realizing you are talking about a separate border, and have been confused and thought it was open.

In order for other posters to not get confused, the border with which this thread deals, the Kanchanaburi border crossing, is closed to visa runs given trip reports from mid-July 2014, and this has not changed. I'll let you have the last word as I'm sure you disagree with my assessment of your post, I'm done with this.

Edited by DavidMavec
  • Like 1

It was my understanding that changes were pervasive and would drive the need to get a visa for the neighbouring country regardless of where the border was to be crossed.

There have been no changes on that. Myanmar require a visa only at certain posts, while at others a daily border pass is enough, as you reported.

I think that the officer you quoted was trying to convey that he would have not let someone without a thailand visa valid to re-entry, to just leave and come back visa exempt.

He would have required such subject to have a myanmar visa, and to stay there.

My error was in inverting his description of the policy which was to clamp down on visa runs of tourist visas. In doing so I omitted the other types you listed.

There have been no changes on that. Myanmar require a visa only at certain posts, while at others a daily border pass is enough, as you reported.

I think that the officer you quoted was trying to convey that he would have not let someone without a thailand visa valid to re-entry, to just leave and come back visa exempt.

He would have required such subject to have a myanmar visa, and to stay there.