Driving licence expired.

chicoelnino

Realised the other day that my drivers licence has expired.

Pure forgetfulness on my behalf about getting it renewed "before" i moved to Thailand 2 months ago.

My question is will a passport suffice while driving my scooter around or will the cops only accept a drivers licence?

I've sent my old passport home so that a family member can see about getting a new one issued.

My question is will a passport suffice while driving my scooter around or will the cops only accept a drivers licence?

I've sent my old passport home so that a family member can see about getting a new one issued.

This part confused me a bit. Not sure if you sent your old MDL or Passport home for renewal.

Fairly sure neither can happen without you being there.

• Like 1

The correct answer is that cops will only accept a valid driving licence. A passport is not acceptable. You will be fined 500 baht. And don't forget that if you have an accident or incident then any insurance cover will be void if you are driving illegally.

A passport is a document used to enter another country - what does it have to do with driving? A passport proves no ability to drive a vehicle. Put the passport down and get a driver's license. A Thai license is best, but you can always use your national license along with an international driving permit in the meantime.

• Like 2

Just show them your old licence if you get stopped. 95% of the time they will just hand it back without actually looking too closely, thank you, and send you on your way. On the off chance you get one who actually notices it is expired you can just pay 300-500 baht. Keep the reciept because that is you "get out of jail free" card for the rest of the day.

I think these days they are more concerned with your visa status. Make sure to have photocopies of your passport, including your current stamps.

Also take into account that to drive a scooter a motorbike license is required, car license with small bike endorsement if officially not sufficient.

I mist say I find the question a bit strange. Would you think that in your home country, where ever that may be, driving a car or bike with a passport is allowed? Or would they like to see a drivers license.

Agree with you 100% in your statement. It amazes me how people think there are no laws or rules here and anything goes.

What a very odd question. Logic surely demonstrates that a passport is a document used to identify the holder and allow said holder to traverse international borders. A driving licence is, as it says on the tin, a licence to drive. How on Earth do you conflate and confuse the two?

• Like 1

If you from the UK you can fill in an AA application form (download online) to get an International Driving Licence, post the form back to the AA who check with DVLA to see if you have a valid licence, so can only be done once you have your new one... if UK driving licence is missing/lost it is not a problem since they check with DVLA. If you not British, suggest you get your new national one and then apply for Thai Licence, it is a very simple affair to obtain one, the first Thai licence is only valid for a year or so, but thereafter on renewal you get a 5 year licence. Technically foreign national driving licences are not valid in Thailand, but are useful for obtaining a Thai licence without taking the full blown test, they merely test peripheral vision, colour blindness and brake reaction time... International Driving Licences are valid for a year in Thailand, there are 2 different conventions on International Driving Licences, make sure you get the correct one for Thailand.

Edited by cosmosis

For driving in Thailand with license from abroad IDP (not license) is not required (provided valid, in English and with photo). So no need at all to worry about obtaining the correct version of the IDP. Only use of the IDP is to hand over to the BIB in case stopped, and not having to worry about retrieving it.

Technically foreign national driving licences are not valid in Thailand...,

Untrue. For a tourist driving in Thailand with license from abroad an IDP is not required (provided valid, in English and with photo). A resident must have a Thai DL.

• Like 1

So, you're asking if a passport can be used in place of a driving licence (which it fairly obviously can't) and then you say you've sent your passport out of the country!

Why would you do that? That's a very strange thing to do. So now you have an expired driving licence, and no passport?

So, you're asking if a passport can be used in place of a driving licence (which it fairly obviously can't) and then you say you've sent your passport out of the country!

Why would you do that? That's a very strange thing to do. So now you have an expired driving licence, and no passport?

He probably meant he sent back his old driving license..? I guess neither can be renewed without him being there anyway.

A very odd post and question. That`s why I clicked into it in the first place, and was not disappointed.

Rules apply in Thailand as well as in other countries, who would think otherwise..

• Like 1

as well as you can pass the frontier showing your driving license.

I was allowed from Thailand into Myanmar on my driving licence!! It was an unplanned trip and I didn't have my passport with me. No problem said immigration...in you go!!

Re producing driving licence to police I was recently stopped at a routine check near Korat and was asked for my passport before they asked for driving licence. I carry a photocopy of my passport and visa but that causes the BiB to go ape. They left me in no doubt that my passport must be on my person at all times...not just when travelling. First time I have had that in 7 years here. I know that you are told to carry your passport but I prefer to keep it locked up for security reasons.

Edited by wjhall

have been living over here for 8 years and never been asked for my drivers license !!!!

What happens if a child steps out in front of you and you kill her. An insurance company will not pay if you habe no licence or are you so stupid that you drive in Thailand without insurance?

All very confusing... I'll try and add my 3 sense here though.

A passport is a Government issued document to TRAVEL

A drivers license is a Government issued document to DRIVE

Now dealing with something that has elapsed or expired is different in every country and every individual will tell of a different experience. Though all the laws of most countries are the same, sometimes it comes down to whether or not the officer/clerk is having a good or bad day or your heartfelt apology to the officer as you hand them your license (that has an emergency fund tapes to it) and say "Could you please renew my license?".

Otherwise you speak of sending something back home to see if someone can renew it for you...?

You sent your old passport as ID for another person to renew your drivers license?

Back home?

So do you have a Thai drivers license or IDP (International Drivers License)?

Your (IDP) expired? Do they even issue IDP's for motorbikes?

What country are you from?

Check your options online. As an American, I can get an IDP from AAA in the USA through the mail. Perhaps your country offers the same.

• Like 1

have been living over here for 8 years and never been asked for my drivers license !!!!

What happens if a child steps out in front of you and you kill her. An insurance company will not pay if you habe no licence or are you so stupid that you drive in Thailand without insurance?

Not my business, but the one you are refering to wrote that he never had been asked for his license, not that he didn`t have one..

• Like 1

It's easy to get a Thai driver's license, and even someone with a tourist visa can do it. Licenses for cars and motorcycles are separate. You can get either or both. You have to provide a car or motorcycle for the driving portion of the test. Get a certificate of residence from Immigrations. You'll need a copy of your lease, the homeowner's Tambien Baan, and ID card. If you don't have a lease, just get a blank from a stationary store and fill it out. After you submit these documents, along with a copy of your passport, to Immigrations, you'll get a certificate of residence. It simply establishes an official record of your address. Take that, along with your passport, and a copy, to the Department of Land Transport. It's 180 baht, I think. Go early in the day, and plan to be there for hours. Bring a book. You'll get a vision test, a written test, a driving test, and so on. You'll get your license before you leave.

I have been here 3 months and have been stopped and asked 8 times. No trouble until one insisted my licence was not enough. I had to

produce my international drivers licence. Over the years on various trips I have been stopped well over 50 times. This was the

first time I was asked for an international licence to be produced. Since I had left it at my condo he said 600 baht. I said 200 cash

now, he said 500 I gave him 300 and just left.

Now my buddy in a drunken stupor walking 5 meters ahead of me at about 2 am was accosted by a he-she. With skill and deftness

she slipped his/her hand into my buddies pocket and removed his billfold containing 3000 baht and drivers license. I was laughing and as I

caught up to him asked if he still had his wallet. He was pissed, he-she was long gone. The police would see him coming on his rental

scooter and pull him over laughing at him every time. 300 baht fine each time. After being fined about 20 days in a row he started driving

around them and not stopping. I guess at that point they shrugged took pity on him and never gave chase. I have several expired licenses

I keep as backups. know one looks at the dates.

I believe one always need an international driveing license as foreigner driving in Thailand, however the book “Thai Law for Foreigners” says, that »the law requires the driver of a vehicle to have a valid driving license and a copy of the vehicle registration document (an international driving license is accepted).«

If you stay more than three month, you must have a Thai driving license. Again, “Thai Law for Foreigners” says, that »an international driver's license may be accepted, but you also need to have a valid driving license from your home country along with the international license. Some insurance companies only provide full coverage for drivers with a valid Thai license.«