Thai doctors say government should legalize 'abortion pills'

webfact

Thai doctors say government should legalize 'abortion pills'
By Coconuts Bangkok

wiki.jpg?itok=7yP5Hgb0

BANGKOK: -- Bunyarit Sukrat, deputy director of the Reproductive Health Bureau, said that “abortion pills” have been listed safe by the World Health Organization and Thailand should consider importing the medicine.

As abortion is illegal in Thailand, women with unwanted pregnancy will opt for illegal and unsafe abortions by people who lack the required qualifications.

The drugs mifepristone is typically used for women who have been pregnant less than nine weeks while misoprostol should be used for a pregnancy of more than 12 weeks. Hospitalization is required before and after using these drugs because they cause excessive bleeding.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/10/03/thai-doctors-say-government-should-legalize-abortion-pills

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-10-03

• Like 1

I'm familiar (too familiarbah.gif ) with the western Christian based objections to legalization of earlier term abortion. What is the cultural background for such abortions being illegal in Buddhist dominated nations like Thailand? coffee1.gif

In modern times of course there are other ethical issues as well, such as the prevalence of abortion being used for sex selection (cultural preference for males) as is widespread in India and China.

Edited by Jingthing

These pills may be "safe" for those that take them, they are definitely not safe for the unborn babies they kill!

When they start to hold funerals in the christian societies for miscarriages---then maybe I will start to take Loons like Jag seriously.

• Like 1

I know a woman who's used the 'morning after pill' here. I'm sure she's not alone. However, she is a Thai/Chinese professional. I believe these pills should be made more widely available to the less affluent young women here. Would relieve at least some of the burden on their rural poor parentsdry.png

Yikes, kind of cold don't you think? Children are a burden? I have an 8 month old and he is quite a blessing. A challenge, but a blessing :)

These pills may be "safe" for those that take them, they are definitely not safe for the unborn babies they kill!

Well said JAG. It's scary that we are digressing as a society to killing babies. What are we? The Mayans? Crazy.

When they start to hold funerals in the christian societies for miscarriages---then maybe I will start to take Loons like Jag seriously.

Loons? Because he shares a different value on life than you do?

• Like 1

'Morning After' pill is not the same as medical abortion. It is a form of contraception that prevents pregnancy and has to be taken within 48-72 hours maximum, the sooner the better. It has always been legal in Thailand and readily available over the counter, brand names Postinor and Madonna.

What they are discussing is medication (actually a combination of 2 drugs) that will induce miscarriage if taken early in pregnancy. As the current law allows for abortion in specific situations (see pinned thread in the Health forum) there would be no reason not to legalize this medication for use by physicians, as far as I can see. OTC sales would be inconsistent with the law as it currently reads and probably require a change in legislation which would be contentious. But the law says nothing about the procedure to be used in cases when abortion is permitted, so no reason at least in theory why doctors could not have this at their disposal to prescribe for women who have been determined to meet the criteria under which abortion is allowed.

• Like 2

I know a woman who's used the 'morning after pill' here. I'm sure she's not alone. However, she is a Thai/Chinese professional. I believe these pills should be made more widely available to the less affluent young women here. Would relieve at least some of the burden on their rural poor parentsdry.png

Indeed, one of the biggest banes of Thai society is the young single mother, with zero social safety net.

• Like 1

Oh here we go.

A seed is not a flower.

An acorn's not a tree.

A fetus ain't a baby, so don't lay that one on me.

By the way, the fetus's single cell would possibly have divided not more than a couple of times by the morning after.

And to forestall any similar comments - how about YOU taking on any unwanted kid for the duration of eighteen years if you feel that strongly about it? No, didn't think so dry.png

Hey Amigo, i dont know where you have learned to read, but they are not talking about the "morning after pill" they are talking about ABORTION pills, one pill for babies before 12 weeks and one for AFTER 12 weeks old. so that Fetus single cell has divided and formed a complete baby by that time.

• Like 1

Oh here we go.

A seed is not a flower.

An acorn's not a tree.

By the way, the fetus's single cell would possibly have divided not more than a couple of times by the morning after.

And to forestall any similar comments - how about YOU taking on any unwanted kid for the duration of eighteen years if you feel that strongly about it? No, didn't think so dry.png

Oh dear, the same old sophistry again. So by the same logic, a baby ain't a toddler, a toddler ain't a child, a child ain't an adolescent, an adolescent ain't a teenager, a teenager ain't an adult .... so killing any one of them before the last stage means no harm done. Using different names for different stages of development doesn't mean it isn't the same entity throughout.

However many cells you are now you wouldn't be around today if someone deleted the first one.

And why should someone else except the parents be expected to take responsibility for an unwanted pregnancy?

Edited by seniorbro

Oh here we go.

A seed is not a flower.

An acorn's not a tree.

Hey Amigo, i dont know where you have learned to read, but they are not talking about the "morning after pill" they are talking about ABORTION pills, one pill for babies before 12 weeks and one for AFTER 12 weeks old. so that Fetus single cell has divided and formed a complete baby by that time.

No, is is 2 pills taken together and prior to 9 weeks gestation. Medical abortion is not done beyond 9 weeks.

Don't even think about it! The way the lunatics in government these go about things with all their shit like "Gay Marriage" and the like - It might not be too far away before they start human rights for tampons!

'Morning After' pill is not the same as medical abortion. It is a form of contraception that prevents pregnancy and has to be taken within 48-72 hours maximum, the sooner the better. It has always been legal in Thailand and readily available over the counter, brand names Postinor and Madonna.

What they are discussing is medication (actually a combination of 2 drugs) that will induce miscarriage if taken early in pregnancy. As the current law allows for abortion in specific situations (see pinned thread in the Health forum) there would be no reason not to legalize this medication for use by physicians, as far as I can see. OTC sales would be inconsistent with the law as it currently reads and probably require a change in legislation which would be contentious. But the law says nothing about the procedure to be used in cases when abortion is permitted, so no reason at least in theory why doctors could not have this at their disposal to prescribe for women who have been determined to meet the criteria under which abortion is allowed.

Since TiT, are these drugs already available under the counter ie illegally anyway?

I am pro choice, there are too many unwanted babies here that get thrown in the bin, better that they are aborted at an early stage. Not everyone here is Buddhist and there should be a choice easily available. Even if they are Buddhist they have a right to choose for themselves. Deaths from botched abortions and babies in bins, or happy smiley young people with their whole lives ahead of them - I know which I choose.

• Like 2

Oh here we go.

A seed is not a flower.

An acorn's not a tree.

No, is is 2 pills taken together and prior to 9 weeks gestation. Medical abortion is not done beyond 9 weeks.

That isnt how it is written in this article Sheryl, it says that Misoprostol should be used after 12 weeks pregnancy (it can be used together with the other pill before 9 weeks to) just to double check i looked it up, and on a "pro abortion" website i found that indeed they are advising to use Misoprostol from 12 weeks up to 20 weeks, that site even recommended the women to self administer it at home, and just go to the doctor to report a miscarriage if the bleeding is to heavy, which it would likely be at that stage.

As usual religious ppl telling others what is right and wrong.. what else is new. There should be a choice to this.

I am not religious, but i do believe that life has to be respected, so since you brought up the subject of choice, what choice does the baby have? the baby is the one most affected by these actions, nobody pays the higher price in this then they.

sure it is hard work completing a pregnancy, and in some cases there are valid reasons as to why it can not take place, but today people want to treat it as if they are disposable items, well they are not disposable items, at 9 weeks they are formed babies with beating hearts and they are alive and innocent of any wrongdoing, if there is a choice, it should be their choice.

In a normal situation mom and dad already had their moment of choice, with choice comes responsibility.

As usual religious ppl telling others what is right and wrong.. what else is new. There should be a choice to this.

I am not religious, but i do believe that life has to be respected, so since you brought up the subject of choice, what choice does the baby have? the baby is the one most affected by these actions, nobody pays the higher price in this then they.

sure it is hard work completing a pregnancy, and in some cases there are valid reasons as to why it can not take place, but today people want to treat it as if they are disposable items, well they are not disposable items, at 9 weeks they are formed babies with beating hearts and they are alive and innocent of any wrongdoing, if there is a choice, it should be their choice.

In a normal situation mom and dad already had their moment of choice, with choice comes responsibility.

The baby as you call it is not conscious at that age. Its the choice of the parents up until a certain time. Many countries have set that time and its reasonable. After that time it is not. This is freedom of your own body and others should not tell you what to do with it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/abortion/child/alive_1.shtml nice page i like what is said on the bottom and I believe that up to 12 weeks is reasonable.. maybe even a bit long. I mean once you know your over your period then you should make the choice so week 5-6 maybe extending that a few weeks.

I agree that after a certain period its not good to abort, but i still feel it hard to tell others how to live their life. Unlike moralists and religious people.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

Oh here we go.

A seed is not a flower.

An acorn's not a tree.

You should learn a little more about this subject. The sperm is a single cell and so is the egg. When the sperm fertilizes the egg it's called a zygote which then starts to divide and multiply into multi-cells and is the called an embryo. After six weeks or so, when the embryo grows to have the characteristics of a human it's called a fetus.

Therefore the so-called "morning after pill" doesn't "abort" anything. It merely prevents the egg from being fertilized, so the end result is no different than a condom or birth control pill which prevents the sperm from fertilizing the egg.

Of course, some hard-core Catholics and religious zealots think even that is a sin. Hell, they even think it's a sin to have sex for any other purpose than procreation. But most of them are very happy to support the death penalty.

..whilst also buggering the little boys in the choir....!