Are glass folding doors any good?

Resa

We have two 4m x 3m openings towards our garden. Today we spoke with our architect who also takes care of the building and he said he can get us either aluminium sliding or folding doors for more or less the same price.

http://www.aledman.net/folding-doors-folding-patio-glass-doors/bi-folding-doors-glass-and-wood/

Anyone has experience with them? Are folding doors any good? We thought we might also get folding mosquito nets that fold to the other side.

We have a teak and glass folding door on our lounge / patio space, 2m high by 4.5m wide in 10 segments. It's a Thai style beast with no runners so it can be a bit of a wrestle but since it opens into an upstairs enclosed space it is rarely closed.

The big plus against sliders is that the folder folds flat and leaves the entire space open.

Not advisable if you have little kids whose fingers may get caught during closing of these doors.

I installed 6-panel aluminium sliding doors on 3 tracks that opens up 2/3. Insect screens are on the outside 4-panel on standard 2 tracks.

Trogers how well is it running? Any major hickups to open close it or still smooth like on the first day?

Been used by my tenants for 5 years. No problems provided the tracks are kept clean of dirt and dust.

In your case, using 6-panel sliding is a must as standard 4 panels will be too heavy for the usual hardware due to the 3m height.

Edited by trogers

Not advisable if you have little kids whose fingers may get caught during closing of these doors.

I installed 6-panel aluminium sliding doors on 3 tracks that opens up 2/3. Insect screens are on the outside 4-panel on standard 2 tracks.

good lord, better yet, avoid having stupid children.

7 years at my house and nary a child has lost a finger.

if you want to be able to completely open your room to the outdoors rather half open it, the answer is simple folding doors.

while those in the OP's example are beautiful, they consume alot of outdoor space when open. more panels -- less space. accordion style.

DO NOT skimp on the hardware. either the mounting or the doors themselves.

buy the very best you can afford or you will regret it.

mine:

baan-hin-ngam-pic3.jpg

and keep the track clean. 1 finger operation when properly maintained.

Edited by GirlDrinkDrunk

mine:

baan-hin-ngam-pic3.jpg

that is one fine looking place you have there.

Was there a thread done on the build?

... or a few, larger scale photos?

In Australia the 'French' Doors are also know by the term 'Bi-Fold' doors.

Edited by David48