bread maker

triffid

I made some rolls today and drying the Breville loaf pan and collapsible kneading blade for bread & dough making the blade looked a bit floppy. OK thins I perhaps it is time to get the spare out after 4 years and ordewr a new blade. I go onlive to find spares and the replacement blade is AUD$ 87.25 or nearly 2.600 baht. Bugger me they must be pi**ed so I look at Verausu online and a new machine with 2 blades is only 4,875 baht. granted it is out of stock but that is less than the price of 2 new blades and my machine is over 4 years old anyway.

http://www.verasu.com/product_detail.php?pid=1015

Central sell the Kenwood but that is over 7,000 baht.

There is also the Kenwood BM256 http://www.kenwoodworld.com/en-th/all-products/cooking-and-baking/bread-makers/BM256-Bread-Maker-0WBM256002/

or the Fagor PAN 850 http://www.fagorthailand.co.th/en/product_services/product_detail.php?menu_id=3&submenu_id=2&pc_id=20&p_id=182

I feel it is getting closer to the time mine went into retirement at the great recycling plant called the trash bin and a replacement is needed.

I can strongly recomend the fagor...though after three years of use every 2 days the motor started sticking. ...Central sent it to service and they rang me it will be b1500 for a complete service and new motor. Seems a fair deal and it makes great bread once you get used to it.

Where did you buy it from? I sent an email to Fagor a couple of days ago asking where I could buy one but no reply yet.

I live half way between BKK and CM but I will be in BKK for a few days next month.

Central and Robinson seem the main dealer. Anywhere between 5OOO and 7000 baht depending on special. When it is at the higher price it seems to come with an electric knife which is very useful. Well worth buying too if not included.

There is a robinsons on the way down from your place about 40 km from BKK which could be worth checking out to save wasting time in BKK.

THey are online today at Central for 4890 http://www.central.co.th/th/products.php?bybrand=y&l1=&brand=13540&brandname=FAGOR%20SMALL

They have a nice wine cooler there on the same page so with a bit of cheese what more do you need.

Edited by harrry

Just brought a Breville Custom Loaf back from Oz. About 230 dollars online and the place was 10minutes from SYD airport. Can highly recommend this machine as it has about 60 programs and you can customise the bread making programs to suit what you need. Can even design and program your own process then save it in the machine memory. Recipes that come with it are also good with lots of hints. Followed a recipe for Chelsea buns on the weekend (cooked in the oven). Went down a treat with the Thais at work.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sounds OK but you may well have a problem getting spare blades etc in Thailand.

Also SYD seems a long way to go just to get a breadmaker. It's OK if you live there or have family/friends but for the likes of me it is not so easy.

Not a special trip, that would be crazy. I'm usually in Australia 3 or 4 times a year for business and usually buy any small appliances or for that matter anything else we need while I am there... We Aussies can't live without our vegemite you know and $10 a jar in Villa is just silly money.

Just brought a Breville Custom Loaf back from Oz. About 230 dollars online and the place was 10minutes from SYD airport. Can highly recommend this machine as it has about 60 programs and you can customise the bread making programs to suit what you need. Can even design and program your own process then save it in the machine memory. Recipes that come with it are also good with lots of hints. Followed a recipe for Chelsea buns on the weekend (cooked in the oven). Went down a treat with the Thais at work.

Also SYD seems a long way to go just to get a breadmaker. It's OK if you live there or have family/friends but for the likes of me it is not so easy.

Not a special trip, that would be crazy. I'm usually in Australia 3 or 4 times a year for business and usually buy any small appliances or for that matter anything else we need while I am there... We Aussies can't live without our vegemite you know and $10 a jar in Villa is just silly money.

I have never been to Australia other than routing through to either PNG when the pilot was unable to land at Moresby or on route to Enn Zed.

I am a Brit and I hate Vegemite, also Marmite and Bovril but cheese, pork pies, HP sauce, Branston pickle are things I drool over.

I just put my used blade in this evening and am running a test batch which looks OK so far so I may have an extension of life on my Breville.

It works pretty much OK but it it seems to have a shoter life than I hoped. About 4 years so far and 3 blades and the fact that spares are not available here puts me off buying another one.

Not a special trip, that would be crazy. I'm usually in Australia 3 or 4 times a year for business and usually buy any small appliances or for that matter anything else  we need while I am there... We Aussies can't live without our vegemite you know and $10 a jar in Villa is just silly money.

I have never been to Australia other than routing through to either PNG when the pilot was unable to land at Moresby or on route to Enn Zed.

I am a Brit and I hate Vegemite, also Marmite and Bovril but cheese, pork pies, HP sauce, Branston pickle are things I drool over.

I just put my used blade in this evening and am running a test batch which looks OK so far so I may have an extension of life on my Breville.

It works pretty much OK but it it seems to have a shoter life than I hoped. About 4 years so far and 3 blades and the fact that spares are not available here puts me off buying another one.

Pork pie with some Branston pickle sounds good, I did work and live in Hull for two years.

Hello All, bunnydrops what size bag are you looking for?

The Mall has 1/2K. bags, I don't know if this place has

small bags or not,(see pic) two blocks in off 224 going E.,

two blocks before the RR overpass. Thats the New hospital

that just opened that you can see from 224.

rice555

post-37242-0-34131500-1381390261_thumb.j

Hello All, bunnydrops, on 224 you turn R before the road turns at the corner

of the moat headed towards Surin/Korat Immigrations/DoHome. Go straight

for 3 soi's, the third soi is Assadang(stop light), 60M up on the L is the shop.

By google maps(green arrow pic2) it's the near side of the seafood restaurant

now a music school. You should see the hospital up 2 soi's on the R like in my

first post. So between Assadang and Chomphon on Wat Bun.

rice555

post-37242-0-58048100-1381473824_thumb.p

post-37242-0-47096100-1381473859_thumb.p

• 4 weeks later...

Just brought back a Kenwood BM whatever from UK and have yet to try in Thailand. Didn't realise you could buy in Central DOH.

My only tip is make sure you set your scales to the right units. 3 attempts before I noticed they were set to oz. instead of gms.

A couple of weeks ago my bread machine finally died after making a secon batch of pizza dough in the same day.

The blade mounting had in the bottom of the tin had cracked and when I pulled it clear 2 of the three rivets had broken.

It is now BER (beyond economical repair) and will be junked.

Since then I have made 2 batches of bread rolls by hand and in the mixing stage they need some vigorous wok on them so I just think of how my ex-got the house in the divorce and the power of thouse thoughts are truly amazing.

This is the recipe I use.

The 500g was OK but the 625g made bigger and better rolls. I did the basic mixing with a cheap 1,395 baht food mixer and when I poured the mix out on to the slab the hard work started.

Handmade bread v01A.doc

• 3 weeks later...

I've said this before in other threads related to bread machines. Not sure why some of you guys are so obsessed with the idea of a bread machine. Buy yourself a decent stand mixer with a dough hook. It's more flexible and the only thing is you have go to the trouble of taking it out of the bowl and putting it in the oven. Gives you a lot more flexibility in the types of bread you can make, and generally you can get grinders, liquidizers, food processor attachments to make them even more useful.

• Like 1

I've said this before in other threads related to bread machines. Not sure why some of you guys are so obsessed with the idea of a bread machine. Buy yourself a decent stand mixer with a dough hook. It's more flexible and the only thing is you have go to the trouble of taking it out of the bowl and putting it in the oven. Gives you a lot more flexibility in the types of bread you can make, and generally you can get grinders, liquidizers, food processor attachments to make them even more useful.

One reason I suppose is that not everybody has a proper western kitchen with a good quality oven in their house/condo and also not everybody would need a stand mixer.

My oven is a table top model from Makro and my stand mixer cost about 1400 baht from the local electrical shop. I would love a really good oven but I can't justify the high price tag to myself. The same for a top quality stand mixer like a Kenwood that my ex wife used coming in at over 30k baht.

There is only me really who eats western food so I make what I want and need in small quantities.

I agree with GinBoy2, an oven is the way to go, and it shouldn't be a Siemens. I use for years a Minoya (I believe less as thb 5000) and it not only makes me bread, but also nice pizza's, grilled chicken and everything else you can make in an oven.

Shame on me, but once I also absolutely needed a breadmaker, so I friend smuggled from Europe a top Kenwood model which is not for sale in Thailand (would be too expensive I suppose). And as with so many others, after one month it ended up as a very expensive mixer. The bread it makes is only average at best, has a stupid shape not to mention the 'hole' on the bottom...

As for the mixer, these cheap local brands are really not good, better try a well know brand (something in the 5000 thb range), that should do it if you cook only for one person. And of course, you can go artisanal and kneed the bread by hand, probably the best and cheapest way ;-) Takes approx 20 mins ;-)

Edited by U235

I agree with GinBoy2, an oven is the way to go, and it shouldn't be a Siemens. I use for years a Minoya (I believe less as thb 5000) and it not only makes me bread, but also nice pizza's, grilled chicken and everything else you can make in an oven.

Shame on me, but once I also absolutely needed a breadmaker, so I friend smuggled from Europe a top Kenwood model which is not for sale in Thailand (would be too expensive I suppose). And as with so many others, after one month it ended up as a very expensive mixer. The bread it makes is only average at best, has a stupid shape not to mention the 'hole' on the bottom...

As for the mixer, these cheap local brands are really not good, better try a well know brand (something in the 5000 thb range), that should do it if you cook only for one person. And of course, you can go artisanal and kneed the bread by hand, probably the best and cheapest way ;-) Takes approx 20 mins ;-)

Well I guess it all depends on what you use an oven for as my Minoya from Makro at about 3,000 baht does my bread and rolls, does pizzas, roasts, and everything I need an oven for.

The mixer is a Sharp, cheap and OK at 1,400 baht and it does the things I need such as bread, biscuit and cake mixes and as there is only me eating what I make (mistakes go to the chickens and ducks so not wasted) my system works for me.

For sure if I paid a lot more money for equipment I would get better results but only up to a point after wich I would have to perhaps rebuild my kitchen, put in better lighting and an aircon and that negates the cost and fun of it all.

I live in rural Thailand and a really good supermarket for better quality food is either Phitsanulok, 180 km each way, Bangkok or Chiang Mai, both about 400 km each way and the money I would save and the extra quality woul be negated by the cost of travel and overnight hotel bills though Pit'Lok is a day return.

Edited by billd766

Hello All, bunnydrops, on 224 you turn R before the road turns at the corner

of the moat headed towards Surin/Korat Immigrations/DoHome. Go straight

for 3 soi's, the third soi is Assadang(stop light), 60M up on the L is the shop.

By google maps(green arrow pic2) it's the near side of the seafood restaurant

now a music school. You should see the hospital up 2 soi's on the R like in my

first post. So between Assadang and Chomphon on Wat Bun.

rice555

i am still waiting for korat electric shops to discover the breadmaker,we was shown one in the mall ha ha it was a toaster.

if anyone does a lot of baking there is a shop that sells almost everything,we buy all the mixed fruits for cake making,

cherries,sultanna's,raisons,almonds in kilo bags a lot cheaper than you get in the supermarkets.

to get there,go to korat train station,opposite there is an entrace to a small square where k.c.t.v.office is its next door.

Is there a Central department store in Korat? Sorry to ask but I live on the other side of the country to you and I haven't been to Korat in years.

If not then try these two sites as they will send the stuff to you.

http://www.verasu.com/search.php?keyword2=bread%20makers&idPage=1

This is Verasu. Go to the bottom right corner and then to page 2 or more.

Try Googling Cental online shopping. I was in Central Chidlom a couple of weeks ago and they had at least 3 different brands in stock.

The one I liked was the Fagor, see attachment.

Fagor Bread Maker PAN 850.doc