Car Insurance

murni

We have just had renewal notice for our car ins. from AIG. It has gone from 11,000baht to

17,000 baht, which we feel is too much. Can anyone suggest another company? We are both English & over 65 which seems to be a bit of a problem, well it is with AIG. We both have Thai driving licences.

Thanks in advance

Apparently there are new regulations that increase first class insurance cost. I'd just shop around a bit. Like visit other companies (I like Aviva), showing your current insurance policy and how much it cost and see what they can offer. Then of course take the best offer back to your current company and give them a chance to keep your business. (Assuming you're generally happy with their service)

CHeers,

Chanchao

Apparently there are new regulations that increase first class insurance cost. I'd just shop around a bit. Like visit other companies (I like Aviva), showing your current insurance policy and how much it cost and see what they can offer. Then of course take the best offer back to your current company and give them a chance to keep your business. (Assuming you're generally happy with their service)

CHeers,

Chanchao

Can you give me a web address for your insurance company? I need to get some. My wife just bought us a new truck and I'm the only one that drives. I don't know that she understands when I ask her about insurance, she says we have it, but I know that I haven't made any copies of my drivers license or anything else. I want to make sure that we have it myself. We live in Buri-ram province and I'll be driving from BKK to Bur-ram when I arrive back in Thailand on the 8th of June.

Thanks!!!

http://www.aviva-thai.com/personal/private.htm

THere's of course several kinds of insurance. Your wife could be talking about the compulsory insurance which your car would obviously have. But first class insurance is a very good thing to have, especially for new cars, and especially if your Thai language skills aren't that stellar in case of an accident that involves another party.

Cheers,

Chanchao

THere's of course several kinds of insurance. Your wife could be talking about the compulsory insurance which your car would obviously have. But first class insurance is a very good thing to have, especially for new cars, and especially if your Thai language skills aren't that stellar in case of an accident that involves another party.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Thank you!!!!

Like Chanchao, I too use AVIVA, I have absolutely no complaints......

Last December, I was taking the wife and kids to the beach and had left Chiangmai rather early. We hit (Liquified) a large dog between Chiangmai and Lampang, causing an appreciable amount of damage to the front end bodywork.

After our vacation (Week), we brought the car into the Chiangmai office of AVIVA and left 20 minutes later with all the vouchers to repair the car with no cost to us.

• 1 year later...

Cheers,

Chanchao

Does anyone have an update on this thread about car insurance, or other recommendations since it was posted? I phoned one major company and they would not insure a car over 7 years old. Thanks.

First class insurance is usually zero deductible. Ask for prices for 5,000 baht deductible, they have it but do not sell it often and you will find it reduces the premium a lot, probably about 4,000 baht per year. Call Khun Chartchai 053 801 881-5 or 089 850 5293 and see what he can offer, his English is ok.

First class insurance is usually zero deductible. Ask for prices for 5,000 baht deductible, they have it but do not sell it often and you will find it reduces the premium a lot, probably about 4,000 baht per year. Call Khun Chartchai 053 801 881-5 or 089 850 5293 and see what he can offer, his English is ok.

Thank you, Bill97. Which company is Khun Chartchai with?

Try Allianz ask to speak to Chai mobile no. 089 433 0567. He speaks good english and is very helpful. He previously worked for QBE. I have used him for my car and household insurance for 4 years and have had no problems when making claims.

Cheers.

Viriyah is one of the most widely used had no problems

Viriyah

Aviva has been good but I think they have changed their name yet again. Have to look at my policy to see what they call themselves now.

Viriyah is the biggest car insurer in Thailand, has a very good reputation and a mature manageress in CM with fluent English. As you come into CM from Lamphun on the Superhighway their HQ is on the left, just before the left slip road to take you off towards the airport.

ThaiSri is also recommended and they are on Superhighway next door to BUPA, on the left as you approach the Rincome cross roads, but about 0.5km before the Esso station. Limited English too on my one visit.

If anyone wants insurance on a car aged 20 years or more it would be worth contacting Classic Cars of Lanna via their new website. Just Google it or PM me.