7-Eleven Thailand: employees are "off the books"?

The majority of 7-Elevens in Thailand are franchises, with CP-All (one of the CP group of companies) as head franchisee in Thailand, and also the operator of some of the stores. The ultimate head company , and owner of the brand is US/Japanese. I don't know what your friend meant but ,in a sense, most 7-Elevens are "off the the books".

Edited by wordchild
  • Like 1

Such business minded peeple here........lol. Usually off the books means employee is paid in cash- no paper trail .

Or maybe employee meant managers suck so they learn their job OFF THE BOOKS...............lol.

Mayeb that one store is ROGUE. Hard to believ 7-11 operates off the books. Makes sense for bargirls but 7-11?

7-11 employees are better-trained and are better-paid than their equivalents in Lotus Express, Big C Mini (can't remember the name) and Family Mart.This is demonstrated by 7-11 having a far lower turnover of staff in their shops.

• Like 2

7-11 employees are better-trained and are better-paid than their equivalents in Lotus Express, Big C Mini (can't remember the name) and Family Mart.This is demonstrated by 7-11 having a far lower turnover of staff in their shops.

"With more than 3,000 new staff required each month to maintain its target of opening 500 new stores annually for a total of 10,000 stores by 2016, the company pays close attention to labour issues from recruitment through to day-to-day operations. Staff turnover is now down to a much more acceptable three to four per cent a month"

Source: 7-Eleven Thailand Minimises Labour Shortage With Love

at 31 december, they had 6,822 stores and 26,455 full-time store employees (they footnote these are permanent staff only) implying 4 full-time permanent staff per store

there will obviously also be some casual labour and I assume some of the 3,320 franchise holders also work in their store, without being classed as full-time store employees

"Off the books" usually means when a worker is not classified an employee, being paid cash under the table, classifying them as independent contractors, not having taxes withheld such as income tax, social security tax, etc., and they also wouldn't have access to govt benefits or protection under labor laws if laid off/fired. With all the 7-11 stores directly owned by the 7-11 company or its franchise stores (they are literally springing up all over the place...sometimes within a 100 meters of each other), I doubt they would risk going afoul of Thai law....would be very bad publicity. Maybe that 7-11 employee that made the "off the books" statement just thought they didn't get as many benefits as desired, but who knows.

the figure in the annual report (26,455 full-time store employees) excludes the franchise/license stores (i.e. it is only staff directly employed by 7-11/CP) so there are about ~8 full-time permanent staff per store on the books, which sounds about the right number with a few casual staff added - as implied by wordchild, i think the op's friend works in a franchise store and by "off the books", she just meant that they are not employees of 7-11/CP

the 7-eleven "employee" in question get salary in cash (monthly) at minimum wage 300B per day (not less than 10 hour at the shop), a day-off once a week;

the same situation for her colleagues, no one has contract of any kind: as i understood, ask to lay it down in black an white = get the boot

Depends on branch....you have very bad one and you have very good one.

the 7-eleven "employee" in question get salary in cash (monthly) at minimum wage 300B per day (not less than 10 hour at the shop), a day-off once a week;
the same situation for her colleagues, no one has contract of any kind: as i understood, ask to lay it down in black an white = get the boot

she must be working for a franchisee who wants to avoid paying employer contributions to social security and/or doesn't want their employees to be protected by the normal labour laws - if it is important to your friend to have a contract she could work in one of the other 7000 stores - her skills/experience should be fairly transferable

• Like 1

7 11 rocks... Normal, it s a USA company.... Go USA go....

Well just gave up my us citizenship.... I wanted to tell you but you are all so brainwashed... Now I M a free man. Not a Sucker any more. Really this USA thing is so horrible. Have you see the number of paperwork I had to fill. Money spent in expert. And risk to loose all through lawyers, court orders,... Now I can keep the money and live my dream life. If you like so much these USA, what the hell are you doing in Thailand? . Go back where you come from..... Jeez,! Murdock pay practically no tax... All his cash is in caiman island. But you need at least 50millions$ to open a society there.

Strange fellow.

Edited by kblaze
  • Like 1