Choice of Mobile packages.

ESCAPIS

I have subscribed to True-H ฿599 per month. This post-pay package entitles me to:

300 minutes

300 sms

50 mms

Unlimited wifi

3gb of, would-be, quality internet.

I did some calculations over a 6 months period, starting from jan 13-jun 13 and have found that My average use is:

80 minutes

10 sms

1 mms

750 mb data of hernia inducing speed.

Does anyone know of a package that offers something that would accommodate my use at a cheaper price?

Better still, is there a way I can pay for what I use without committing to any pre-tailored package?

Sent from an Apple gadget.

My wife has two mobiles and seems happy with whatever she is paying. It is now 1.15am, I have insomnia and if I wake her up to ask her, I'll be in the dog house so I'll check in the morning and let you know what she suggests.

You would probably be better off with a pre-paid plan, either bundled, or un-bundled?

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/packages/ismart/entry/594

iSmart/399: 150 min/750 MB, pre-paid/bundled/

What is "hernia-inducing" speed? Is your phone particularly heavy? If that's bad, then suspect you have problems with your plan or configuration?

iSmart is a good choice - also note that True is running a welcome package right now. It's cited somewhere else in this forum. You get 2GB free for the first month and 200MB free each month for 10 months thereafter. You have to enter a USSD code for this.

What is "hernia-inducing" speed? Is your phone particularly heavy? If that's bad, then suspect you have problems with your plan or configuration?

It is just an iPhone 4s with a battery backpack cover.

The hernia is caused when I try to suppress my frustration over the 3G speed and containing my aggression when I try to call CallCentre to complain about the speed. It is all figurative speech.

Of course after living in Thailand for 5 years and being enlightened by ThaiVisa fora I came to the conclusion that it is all pointless:)

DTAC seems to be offering a starter kit that suits my usage requirements:

post-182597-13811282935015_thumb.jpg

I would add a wifi package from True, since they have the highest number of hotspots, for 100baht.

Has anyone had a positive or otherwise experience with DTAC trinet?

I find it very difficult to get sense when I go into a Dtac store to ask about plans. (Ok I should learn to speak Thai)

I read on their website: "3 G Max speed for 5 GB unlimited master."

But what is unlimited if you only get 5 gig of data?

I do not ring that often and want my HTC smartphone to be used as a wifi modem for my laptop as I travel Thailand.

Can someone pls advise the best plan if there is one at about 10 gig data per month.

I think you will find the 5gb are for 3g after which, you will be confine to Edge, which is much slower, and that is the Thai way of saying unlimited.

Try and go to a branch frequented by international customers, where English is decently spoken and understood. Paragon in Siam square comes to mind, if you live in Bangkok or a surrounding area or province.

But before you do go to the major providers' sites i.e. DTAC, TRUE, AIS and compare prices. Other threads on this forum talk extensively about the quality and coverage, if you care to search and red through. You will find your requirements might fall in the ฿900-1300 bracket.

Warning! Don't expect quality internet if you are outside a major city or off the beaten track, no matter how much the provider promises, and whatever package you end up with.

Hope

i got the package from Dtac that is shown in that image from ESCAPIS. that deal is for a contract, but they do a pay as you go for 220B for a month

it is one gig 3G and unlimited EDGE internet. no free mins though

the coverage has been good for me. travelled from bangkok to hua hin today in the mini van and the coverage was decent all the way down

ok for a light user like me when i am out of the bar's wifi zone smile.png

i would be interested to hear if there are many other deals in this sort of price range < 300B

I always recommend that you first identify the service provide that meets all you requirements re: coverage, call completion/quality, 3G performance, customer service, web/mobile account management, etc., by using pre-paid SIMs (50 baht each) and daily/weekly/monthly plans. Once you've identified a service provider which meets your requirements, and armed with a knowledge of your usage patterns/requirements, go with a pre-paid bundled/un-bundled plan - most of the major service providers now offer pre-paid bundles, while un-bundled means you pay by the minute/SMS and for a 30-day mobile data plan, or go with a post-paid plan. There can be some "deals" with post-paid,especially if you bundle in a new phone purchase, where the monthly service discount can reach 50% over 18 - 24 months.

CAT/TrueMove H have the most coverage, and the fewest customers, so they would generally be the first choice/option. After that, considering all the variables, including roll-out of 2100 MHz, coverage, no. of customers and available spectrum, DTAC/Happy might be the next best option, then AIS. I only place AIS here because they have the most customers, and the least amount of spectrum. But again, this really would depends on your exact locations and requirements.

Based on you advice, I have purchased a prepaid DTAC SIM card for ฿149 that includes a week worth of data on 3g, enough for gauging.

After a bit of a muddle, the girl was able to give me the appropriate card that finally put me on Trinet.

I live in in Muaeng Chonburi and off the beaten track. The reception is full bar and seemed to switch flawlessly from dtac to DTAC to TH-DTAC as I moved around from home, to work, to mall and to market.

The data was quite fast compared to my existing True 3g. I still have to test it on my weekly visits to bkk, possibly in a couple of days, but I expect it to be equally if not better, as bkk coverage is superior.

The package of ฿199 seems to fit my needs and usage, as I outlined in my initial post. I shall wait till my billing cycle is over and migrate from True to DTAC and hopefully, start saving on my tel bill.

Thank you all for you advice and contribution.