Thai plane slips off runway, no injuries

Lite Beer

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went off the runway "and had engine troubles"...probably more to this story than we will ever hear about.

Loss of strait line braking due to engine problems is usually a reverse thrust defect with one of the props, if an engine is playing up before engaging reverse thrust it shouldn't be selected (you'd think!). The pilots in this scenario should rely on their wheel brakes.

Maybe not enough runway to do it though I don't know Udon.

Engine problems and landing gear problem? Whichever, it sounds like a maintenance problem yet again.

Edited by Bpuumike
  • Like 1

Part owned subsidiary of Thai Airways.I cant quote the exact figure but it is less than 50 %.

Last figure I heard was around 40%. In any case Thai Airways is a minority shareholder, and in recent years Nok has operated almost entirely independently of it, much to THAI's irritation. No point in trying to tar THAI with this brush, excuse the metaphor.

No point either in speculation at this stage on the basis of a few garbled newspaper reports. Anyone seriously interested in following up incidents like this can do so on Pprune or other professional forums.

Part owned subsidiary of Thai Airways.I cant quote the exact figure but it is less than 50 %.

Last figure I heard was around 40%. In any case Thai Airways is a minority shareholder, and in recent years Nok has operated almost entirely independently of it, much to THAI's irritation. No point in trying to tar THAI with this brush, excuse the metaphor.

No point either in speculation at this stage on the basis of a few garbled newspaper reports. Anyone seriously interested in following up incidents like this can do so on Pprune or other professional forums.

" Thai Airways is a minority shareholder, and in recent years Nok has operated almost entirely independently of it, much to THAI's irritation. No point in trying to tar THAI with this brush."

My thoughts exactly and that why I posted the correction.

I used to love their take off announcement:

"Thank you for flying Nok Air....... We wish you a very present fright"

I sent this in to my local radio station in the UK. When the DJ read it out on air she made it even funnier by pronouncing Nokair "No Care"!

Im sorry but for me Nok Air will now be known forever as 'No Care'!

Having said that, I do like them...............They are my preferred budget Thai airline..........When the price is right.

Lets get the facts first this time before jumping to any conclusions. And you WONT get the facts or reasons for this incident from any media or passenger comments. The official incident report will be the only document which will contain fact.

The official report is the only document which can be guaranteed to contain no fact whatsoever! The Thai DCA has no culture of safety, no knowledge of safety matters, and is concerned only with paper pushing and lip service to ICAO standards. Their primary concern in any incident is to assign blame ( preferably to a foreigner - any foreigner )and prosecute to the limit of the law, to cover up any shortcomings in their own systems, and to generate as much revenue - of which they get 30% - by way of fines as they can. Their investigators know nothing about aviation and would never call on outside experienced help - face must not be lost!

Lets get the facts first this time before jumping to any conclusions. And you WONT get the facts or reasons for this incident from any media or passenger comments. The official incident report will be the only document which will contain fact.

An official report in Thailand containing facts - sure!

Yep - was about to post the same, it is a minority owner now

Not wanting to come to the defense of Thai Airways it would have been better to name Nok Air in the header - which by the way is a subsidiary of Thai Air.

Also technically speaking it is not a Thai plane but a plane operated by a Thai airline company....

......and as the plane approached the runway the Pilot was heard to exclaim that the runway was rather short. The Co-Pilot looked left and right and agreed it was the shortest runway he'd ever seen, and also the widest. blink.png

• Like 2

'official incident report will be the only document which will contain fact' you have gotta be joking.

15 years ago there was a crash, more than a hundred fatalities and the official investigation was never released "reason being that if it were, peoples feelings would be hurt"

This is in case you have forgotten, 'TIT' coffee1.gif

I'm working on a turbo prop design with 4 x 4 off road capability. Do you think it might sell?

Nah, they are going to start flying over the grass without landing and have the passengers jump out in order to save face.

Do you mean like the dam busters bouncing bombs but on grass?

Vans sliding off highway, planes slipping off runways, trains skipping off tracks..... Do I detect a connection here? The gods truly must be angry. This all cannot be happening in the space of a few months.... ?

If you've ever followed locals through a grocery store you know that abrupt unexpected deviations from their heading are the rule rather than the exception.

ACCIDENT

Nok Air blames broken landing gear

The Nation

30216434-01_big.jpg

UDON THANI: -- A Nok Air flight from Chiang Mai on Sunday skidded off the runway on landing in Udon Thani, presumably because of the broken landing gear.

Narong Ponlaiard, vice governor of Udon Thani, was at the scene. He was briefed by a Nok Air officer who attributed the accident to the broken landing gear. Unable to turn right while on the taxi way, the pilot decided to hit the earthen wall on the side. The front wheel was broken.

The plane stopped about 600 metres off the passenger terminal.

No injury is reported.

The Flight DD8610 left Chiang Mai at 7.25am and landed in Udon Thani at 8.45am. Boarding the small plane were 26 passengers.

On August 7, the airline also reported an accident in Trang. Its Bangkok-bound flight slid off the runway at Trang airport while preparing for takeoff in heavy rain. All 142 passengers on Flight DD 7411, many of them foreign tourists, and crew were uninjured.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-10-09

Power steering, more power on the right prop needed to give it some steering to the left.