Any flooding in Pattaya now or expected in the next day?

yougivemebaby

You are correct that it was the condo buildings behind the Avenue., but would you have considered one year prior to the flooding that those particular condo buildings would be flooded ?

I also have a feeling that you bought your condo shortly after the 2011 flooding, and had the condo's I mention in your mind when you made your choice.

I only rent my condo but my requirements for building selection were the same as they would have been if I had bought it. In fact I would probably buy the unit I live in if the owner didnt have such an absurdly over-inflated idea of what it is worth.

I have long wondered about the various underground car parks around town. To me they have always seemed to be asking for trouble as without pumps and power they would be bound to fill up pretty fast in a good storm. As far as I know the condo building that had the most trouble in 2011 did indeed have some blown out transformers and hence no power for the pumps, but there were several other underground car parks that got flooded at the same time.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...and further to that, unless you're a shop owner, flash floods are a day of fun and curiosity for most tourists.

i have friends (tourists) here now from Uraguay since last Monday

30 hours+ in Transit to get here

i can tell you that their feelings on the current weather in Pattaya are not remotely associated to fun and curiosity

i suspect they will not be alone either, i expect most tourists feel exactly the same

i mean who goes on holiday and has fun in constant rain?

Utter nonsense Tropo

Constant rain isn't fun indeed, but the flush floods in a middle of a hot and sunny week are fun. It's not the case at the moment unfortunately, I have a brother and a buddy came to visit, the first time in Thailand and it's pouring all the time, on top of that it was me who suggested they come in October as it's still a low season with not too many tourists... sad.png

i sympathize with you shurup

it was the last night here for my friends, they are off to UK for 3 weeks where the weather is probably better than here right now

i know the weather anywhere is unpredictable but it does taint your memory of a place and i can tell you they won't be back anytime soon

The rainy season was far too dry until the last 2 days of September, the last flash floods were as far back as in June. What a turnaround, though, 2 days with rain in excess of 100 mm per day, and 1 more with even more than 200 mm. Worse than the floods in September 2011. The Thai meteo website is good for nothing anymore, better go to the Weather Underground. It has 2 stations in Pattaya independent from the Thai one, 1 on Jomtien Beach next to the police building, 1 on the dark side. Updates every ten minutes of temperature, wind direction and speed, pressure, rainfall, and weather maps. Also detailed statistics. When you compare the records of Jomtien and the dark side, it's surprising by how much the weather differs for locations just a few miles apart. The dark side is hotter and has less wind, but gets twice as much rain in the year.

Do you have a link please?

• Like 1

The rainy season was far too dry until the last 2 days of September, the last flash floods were as far back as in June. What a turnaround, though, 2 days with rain in excess of 100 mm per day, and 1 more with even more than 200 mm. Worse than the floods in September 2011. The Thai meteo website is good for nothing anymore, better go to the Weather Underground. It has 2 stations in Pattaya independent from the Thai one, 1 on Jomtien Beach next to the police building, 1 on the dark side. Updates every ten minutes of temperature, wind direction and speed, pressure, rainfall, and weather maps. Also detailed statistics. When you compare the records of Jomtien and the dark side, it's surprising by how much the weather differs for locations just a few miles apart. The dark side is hotter and has less wind, but gets twice as much rain in the year.

Do you have a link please?

+1

When you compare the records of Jomtien and the dark side, it's surprising by how much the weather differs for locations just a few miles apart. The dark side is hotter and has less wind, but gets twice as much rain in the year.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=pattaya

Very true.

I've often been in rain over by the lake yet on returning to Jomtien I found that it has remained bone dry.

I would also say that the air humidity usually appears to be higher near the sea, though of course this may only be an impression.

• Like 1

An online weather forecast is NOT going to tell your where a Pattaya FLASH flood will happen.

Pattaya has it's well-known low spots. What Pattaya sees is flash-flooding. The length of time it takes for the flash flood to dissipate varies between different low spots.

Pattaya flash-flooding 101

• Like 1

An online weather forecast is NOT going to tell your where a Pattaya FLASH flood will happen.

Did anyone suggest that it would? If so I didn't see it.

The very subject matter of the OP and the ensuing recommendation of several online weather forecasting sites, including one from yourself.

Apart from that, no, not really.

Pattaya DOES NOT FLOOD.

Pattaya has FLASH FLOODS.

It's the arse end of rainy season so avoid the low bits.

Gettit?

Edited by NanLaew

Did anyone suggest that it would? If so I didn't see it.

The very subject matter of the OP and the ensuing recommendation of several online weather forecasting sites, including one from yourself.

Apart from that, no, not really.

Pattaya DOES NOT FLOOD.

Pattaya has FLASH FLOODS.

It's the arse end of rainy season so avoid the low bits.

Gettit?

Calm down dear, it's only a rain cloud.

I still dont see how you link that weather site (which is rather good) and the current flooding. No one else is linking them at all.

And by the way my place in Pattaya 2nd road was flooded for 2 whole days 2 years ago. Nothing very "flash" about that, I think.

When you compare the records of Jomtien and the dark side, it's surprising by how much the weather differs for locations just a few miles apart. The dark side is hotter and has less wind, but gets twice as much rain in the year.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=pattaya

Very true.

I've often been in rain over by the lake yet on returning to Jomtien I found that it has remained bone dry.

I would also say that the air humidity usually appears to be higher near the sea, though of course this may only be an impression.

Interesting science... A relatively flat area a few km east of Sukhumvit gets twice as much rain and this could be due to humidity?

I'd take a bet that the annual rainfall and humidity are identical. Of course the flood water won't sit long near the beach as it quickly runs out to sea.

Also a chilly 24C tonight

Yeah, it's super chilly in Cosy Beach this morning too... at 4:45 am the mercury dropped down to a super low 26.3C at 97% humidity in my lounge with the doors and windows wide open.

I can't wait for it to get back to it's usual 29 - 30C.

Interesting science... A relatively flat area a few km east of Sukhumvit gets twice as much rain and this could be due to humidity?

I'd take a bet that the annual rainfall and humidity are identical.

No science involved at all: just personal observation as I mentioned very clearly. Also at no point did I suggest in any way that the rainfall and the humidity were at all related (though it is a fact that air humidity is often higher very near the coast in places that have an onshore breeze).

Maybe you have never heard of micro-climates but it is indeed common for two places just a few km apart to get very different weather patterns. Where I used to live in Europe a village about 10km from us got more than double the annual rainfall that we got. We got clouds and they got storms. This was well documented by the national weather bureau and everyone knew about it locally.

I'd take a bet that the annual rainfall and humidity are identical.

No science involved at all: just personal observation as I mentioned very clearly. Also at no point did I suggest in any way that the rainfall and the humidity were at all related (though it is a fact that air humidity is often higher very near the coast in places that have an onshore breeze).

Maybe you have never heard of micro-climates but it is indeed common for two places just a few km apart to get very different weather patterns. Where I used to live in Europe a village about 10km from us got more than double the annual rainfall that we got. We got clouds and they got storms. This was well documented by the national weather bureau and everyone knew about it locally.

Just out of interest, what is the humidity on the darkside where you live? Here on the coast it has been over 90% all week. On some days the hygrometer has been stuck on 99%.

Yeah, it's super chilly in Cosy Beach this morning too... at 4:45 am the mercury dropped down to a super low 26.3C at 97% humidity in my lounge with the doors and windows wide open.

That would be great. I'm loving the cooler temps.

Huh ?

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

Huh ?

You're confused? Do I really have to explain it?

I love 26.3C, but it's not "super chilly", but merely comfortable.... I don't like 29 - 30C.

Just out of interest, what is the humidity on the darkside where you live? Here on the coast it has been over 90% all week. On some days the hygrometer has been stuck on 99%.

I dont live on the darkside. I live in a high-rise a couple of minutes walk from the beach in Jomtien.

So I experience the onshore breeze and the humidity from the sea daily but I also often drive up to the lake or to various places on the darkside (usually to eat) and when I do I have the occasion to compare the local weather conditions.

I dont live on the darkside. I live in a high-rise a couple of minutes walk from the beach in Jomtien.

So I experience the onshore breeze and the humidity from the sea daily but I also often drive up to the lake or to various places on the darkside (usually to eat) and when I do I have the occasion to compare the local weather conditions.

can someone explain to me what the dark side is ?

Huh ?

You're confused? Do I really have to explain it?

I love 26.3C, but it's not "super chilly", but merely comfortable.... I don't like 29 - 30C.

So " I can't wait for it to get back to it's usual 29 - 30C " now means I don't like 29 - 30 C ?

Makes me even more confused, because however I admit not being a native English speaker, I always thought it just means the opposite .

May be some other native English member can explain what is the exact meaning of " I can't wait for it to get back to it's usual 29 - 30C " smile.png

In case I'm wrong, I'm more than happy to apologize for the confusion caused.

So " I can't wait for it to get back to it's usual 29 - 30C " now means I don't like 29 - 30 C ?

Makes me even more confused, because however I admit not being a native English speaker, I always thought it just means the opposite .

May be some other native English member can explain what is the exact meaning of " I can't wait for it to get back to it's usual 29 - 30C " smile.png

I didn't want to come out and say it - but I was being facetious - saying the opposite of what I really meant... or more accurately "ironic". Some would say "sarcastic".

Lesson learnt - this being an international forum, I should be more careful.

I didn't want to come out and say it - but I was being facetious - saying the opposite of what I really meant... or more accurately "ironic". Some would say "sarcastic".

So you agree that we desperately are in need of a sarcasm emoticon ? biggrin.png

So you agree that we desperately are in need of a sarcasm emoticon ? biggrin.png

I agree.

... but I also often drive up to the lake or to various places on the darkside (usually to eat) ...

nudge, nudge, wink, wink...