never reported 90 days

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a bit the same issue - I am here since five years, never reported anything for four years.
Then on a trip home the laundry ate my passport, I had to made everything new and had for the first time this year a notification notice in my passport. Well, I left Thailand before the due date, they left it in my passport, I asked the embassy in Germany which said very clearly it is supposed to be 90 days from your last entry, no matter what is written on the notification.

Somehow I "forgot" the notification again, but no problem at the last extension. It seems to me that it is a complete separate system, so as long as I dont go to the notification people, I am just out.
In the end I will just keep not reporting until they might fine me.
I would not worry if it seems like someone is out of the notification thingie (thats actually also what the immigration officer at the airport told me when I entered with the old, over-due, notification slip)

Yes that was what I told him, but we were wondering where would they notice? He said he has never been asked for it when leaving the country, nor when the school renews the visa ever 90-days.

If the school is arranging the extension, he won't have a problem because of the 'tea money' the school pay the immigration officer.

Guest Gandtee

It was only about ten years ago, I think, that Immigration began to enforce the 90 day requirement. I had never done it for many years prior to that. Once when I did the 90days, which only takes less than five minutes, I asked why it was necessary? The sweet young officer said "Don't you like to come and see us"? Can't argue with that.

Yes that was what I told him, but we were wondering where would they notice? He said he has never been asked for it when leaving the country, nor when the school renews the visa ever 90-days.

If the school is arranging the extension, he won't have a problem because of the 'tea money' the school pay the immigration officer.

That's good to hear. Anyone know how that works with the language schools, are there the 'clean' operations and the ones that pay under the table, or do they all just pay the extra stuff?

If they notice he has never reported he could be fined 4000 baht. Doing a report with his next extension could mean a fine of 2000 baht.

It is his choice what to do.

I have a friend who stayed 2 years without a report. He has been back and forth a few times since and Immigration has never said a word.

rolleyes.gif I am on a retirement extension .... just did my 3rd extension yesterday and am now here until 15 October 2014.

yes, I refer to it as a retirement extension, not a retirement visa .... because that's what it is.

Other people may chose to call it a retirement visa ..... that's not my problem .... just as long as they don't get caught in that visa not extension trap and make a mistake on what they have to do.

Just as long as they know what to do, I don't really much care about the terminology they use.

Now 90 day reporting is a different thing from a retirement extension/visa.

As an example my annual retirement extension is due October 15th each year. As I said I just did that renewal and am good now until October 2014.

But my next 90 day report has got out of sync with my annual renewals. My next 90 day report is due on 18 December. The difference of dates is due to the fact that I made some trips to Vietnam , and that reset my 90 day reporting "clock" because 90 day reporting need not be done when your not physically residing in the country. So my 90 day reporting clock stopped while I was out of the country, and was reset when I reentered the country.

You see the logic? It really is simple if you just grasp the ideas that:

• Aliens (foreigners) living 'long stay" in Thailand must report their address if they stay longer than 90 days at a time in Thailand.
  • That's why it's called 90 day reporting.
  • It's a Thai law, so you've got to obey it to stay here.
  • If you leave Thailand for a holiday (as I did by spending time in Vietnam) you don't have to do 90 day reporting because you re not residing in Thailand during that time. When you reenter Thailand your clock starts again.

As to why we have to do it, all I can say again is that it's a Thai law, and being in Thailand we have to obey it.

This is Thailand.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Posted Image I am on a retirement extension .... just did my 3rd extension yesterday and am now here until 15 October 2014.

yes, I refer to it as a retirement extension, not a retirement visa .... because that's what it is.

Other people may chose to call it a retirement visa ..... that's not my problem .... just as long as they don't get caught in that visa not extension trap and make a mistake on what they have to do.

Just as long as they know what to do, I don't really much care about the terminology they use.

Now 90 day reporting is a different thing from a retirement extension/visa.

As an example my annual retirement extension is due October 15th each year. As I said I just did that renewal and am good now until October 2014.

But my next 90 day report has got out of sync with my annual renewals. My next 90 day report is due on 18 December. The difference of dates is due to the fact that I made some trips to Vietnam , and that reset my 90 day reporting "clock" because 90 day reporting need not be done when your not physically residing in the country. So my 90 day reporting clock stopped while I was out of the country, and was reset when I reentered the country.

You see the logic? It really is simple if you just grasp the ideas that:

• Aliens (foreigners) living 'long stay" in Thailand must report their address if they stay longer than 90 days at a time in Thailand.
  • That's why it's called 90 day reporting.
  • It's a Thai law, so you've got to obey it to stay here.
  • If you leave Thailand for a holiday (as I did by spending time in Vietnam) you don't have to do 90 day reporting because you re not residing in Thailand during that time. When you reenter Thailand your clock starts again.
As to why we have to do it, all I can say again is that it's a Thai law, and being in Thailand we have to obey it.

This is Thailand.

Posted Image

I don't have to follow the law in Thailand because I have money. See? I am more Thai than you lol.

• Like 1