Have you noticed....the difference between the Chinese tourists and the Japanese?

Bri19000

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Japanese are generally a lot more worldly, they have been travelling a lot more, usually more educated and from what i have seen - quite polite in comparison to the loud, pushing in front of you in lines and travelling in herds and following a stick with a flag on it Chinese. But hey!

A trip to kanchanaburi a few years back made me change my tune about the Japanese, as a walked over the Death Railway respectful and remorseful at how many humans had lost their lives there, and had to endure a pack of Japanese with cameras, laughing, posing, shouting and blocking my way as they were - Very Proud! of the history that they were a part of making.... Meh!

Same attitude when they visit the Arizona Memorial at Pear Harbor.

Few countries choose to face all of the harsher realities in their recent history. Many countries choose to ignore or minimise certain parts of their history as part of formal education. Politics and History are uncomfortable bedfellows.

Edited by bumpkin

The one in the travel advice that made me laugh was "

Don't leave footprints on the toilet seat."

David

I can actually explain this one ...many toilets are still the squating types as it is believed to aid "the process"

Hence when they see the western type sitting ones, they like to squat on top of it as there is old wives tale that you can get piles easily if u sit too long on toilet bowls

The Japanese are generally a lot more worldly, they have been travelling a lot more, usually more educated and from what i have seen - quite polite in comparison to the loud, pushing in front of you in lines and travelling in herds and following a stick with a flag on it Chinese. But hey!

A trip to kanchanaburi a few years back made me change my tune about the Japanese, as a walked over the Death Railway respectful and remorseful at how many humans had lost their lives there, and had to endure a pack of Japanese with cameras, laughing, posing, shouting and blocking my way as they were - Very Proud! of the history that they were a part of making.... Meh!

We're these tourists from Japan in their 80s or older? If not, they most likely did not have any part in the history making. I don't associate any people for acts of their country, but rather their governments as a body.

The one in the travel advice that made me laugh was "

Don't leave footprints on the toilet seat."

David

I can actually explain this one ...many toilets are still the squating types as it is believed to aid "the process"

Hence when they see the western type sitting ones, they like to squat on top of it as there is old wives tale that you can get piles easily if u sit too long on toilet bowls

Yep. Chinese know this. Japanese don't.

Give me a nose picking Chinese over a loud mouth ethnocentric farang any day.

As long as they don't flick it at me or try to shake my hand.

Had two Chinese lesbians ask me the other day - " Where is curry crab, we want eat curry crab" pointed them in the right direction and they just walked off. blink.png

Go on, I'll bite. How did you know they were lesbians?

Japanese and Chinese are very different - physically and well as in behaviour and attitude.

The Japanese do not generally ride around in large groups on bicycles ignoring the laws of self preservation and common sense.

The Chinese are the ones who 'troop' along behind a flag !

You've never seen a Japanese tour party then? Tour guides have flags and whistles. Used to see lots all over Asia in the early 90's. Mainly retired Japanese couples in groups of 20-30.

• Like 2

The Japanese do not generally ride around in large groups on bicycles ignoring the laws of self preservation and common sense.

The Chinese are the ones who 'troop' along behind a flag !

You've never seen a Japanese tour party then? Tour guides have flags and whistles. Used to see lots all over Asia in the early 90's. Mainly retired Japanese couples in groups of 20-30.

Many have selective memories as this is the season of Chinese bashing on TV

• Like 1

I feel bad for the TV negativity and xenophobia that runs rampant on this site.. It's ironic they, well some, come to Thailand to open their minds; however, they remain tightly closed. So much easier to be negative, as dragging someone down is easier than doing something good yourself. Seriously, before you post........think. Am I actually adding something good?

How did this topic even get this far? Absolute drivel.

• Like 2

I feel bad for the TV negativity and xenophobia that runs rampant on this site.. It's ironic they, well some, come to Thailand to open their minds; however, they remain tightly closed. So much easier to be negative, as dragging someone down is easier than doing something good yourself. Seriously, before you post........think. Am I actually adding something good?

How did this topic even get this far? Absolute drivel.

By people who are *completely* clueless, too. Stuck in old stereotypes. Comments like they're tourist cattle following a flag.. Maybe as little as 5 years ago, and for sure there are some of those tours around, but just look at the change..

It doesn't even make logical sense: on the very same day there is a topic about better checking drivers licenses of (Chinese) tourists. How blind do you have to be to not see a change towards independent travel, people going their own way as a couple, a family and exploring on their own.

BTW, wait for December/January, and then Chinese New Year. Winter in China and the number of visitors will be nothing you've ever seen in your life, mark my words. thumbsup.gif

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

China has just standing by own feet and independent , growing up so fast. Chinese ppl today can afford to travel abroad. But Chinese and Japanese have different manner, if you could recognise how different. Japanese are respectful, dont speak loud in public and standing in line waiting on their turn, modish styling. Chinese, speak normally louder than Japanese in the public. Like to do things in a big group and dont really much care of the surrounding where they are. They know little about making a line , they would break the line, if possible, the faster you get , the best and faster you are....

We have a funny talk like , if you are on crowded bus and searching for a seat, before you think, u will see a chinese ran from back of the bus to sit your seat that is at the front like rocket. cheesy.gif

Complaints much from Europe about Chinese tourist, now China shall bring a new law, we may call a zivilisation law how to be a good manner Chinese tourist. If you dont do it, you might get no allowance to make a trip out of the country. For example, Chinese tourist should not spit up in public, etc...

Let's see in the near future.

BS to both negative comments. I have been to both sites and Japanese tourists were quiet, polite, and very humble. The younger generation, as in our kids and grandkids era, were the most shy, almost personifying shame in what their country did. You, I think misread the reason for their excitement, zeal, or happiness. More likely excited to just be on a foreign vacation with friends, something they may not do often, or rarely do. At the Memorial in Hawaii,1984, a young married couple singled me out of the crowd, bowed 3 times as he approached me with a camera, offering it to me, to take their picture. I was at that moment wrapped up in my own self with my own anger,resentment... I was there to honor my father, who had just passed away. He was on board the U.S.Curtiss the morning of Dec.7. I learned that day that the Curtiss had the highest number of planes that were shot down that morning, due to he and his mates being on deck at 6am.

I looked at the young Japanese man, eye to eye, I had a rapid choice to make, hate, or forgive. I thought at that moment, ''I.m looking a kid, not responsible for his father, or grandfather's actions, or that of an emperor before they were born. I took his camera, he bowed 3 times, as he backed to where his wife was sitting. I took 2 pictures of him and his bride, nodded to him, he bowed 3 times as he walked to me, bowed again, with a thank you, and never turned from me, as he backed back to the seat they occupied, bowing 3 times again. A suggestion; don't hate or discriminate, or hold responsible any nationality, or people from any nation. Hate the governments that come and go that do the atrocities. I agree with the other posts in that Japanese are the most polite, but I raise an eyebrow to the thought that Chinese are any more impolite than Thai.

Edited by featography
  • Like 2

Japanese don't:

-talk all at once and loudly

-hack or spit

-queue-jump

-push you out of the way

-drop food on the table and leave it there

-pick at their nose

-snarl at you

-encroach on your private space

-demand bargaining for everything

-snub you if they don't get what they want

-publicly fight amongst each other

As a westerner, I've been observing the differences for years. It is fascinating and illuminating.

• Like 2

My understanding is that WW2 is not taught as a part of history in Japanese schools, so many probably wouldn't even know they were the perpetrators of such atrocities. When I lived there some years ago, there were moves by activists to have the Japanese government acknowledge their part. They'll be waiting a long time!

The knowledge of many Australians of that chapter is also lacking.

It's unfortunate that people are caught up in the hype of an occasion, e.g., Anzac Day, and want to be seen at Gallipoli, or Hellfire Pass, on Anzac Day without having any real knowledge of why they're there, other than they can tell their friends they attended. Another place to get pi$$ed after the service also?? I've seen people take their dogs to an Anzac Day service in Melbourne, pre dawn, and wonder why the mutt is stood on in the crowd.

In short, the Chinese are the 'new rich', and feel the need to show that they are now traveling. The Japanese have been travelers for years, and that has passed with them.

Flight attendants complain of Chinese just poking them with a finger, anywhere, to gain their attention.

Edited by F4UCorsair

My understanding is that WW2 is not taught as a part of history in Japanese schools, so many probably wouldn't even know they were the perpetrators of such atrocities. When I lived there some years ago, there were moves by activists to have the Japanese government acknowledge their part. They'll be waiting a long time!

The knowledge of many Australians of that chapter is also lacking.

It's unfortunate that people are caught up in the hype of an occasion, e.g., Anzac Day, and want to be seen at Gallipoli, or Hellfire Pass, on Anzac Day without having any real knowledge of why they're there, other than they can tell their friends they attended. Another place to get pi$$ed after the service also?? I've seen people take their dogs to an Anzac Day service in Melbourne, pre dawn, and wonder why the mutt is stood on in the crowd.

In short, the Chinese are the 'new rich', and feel the need to show that they are now traveling. The Japanese have been travelers for years, and that has passed with them.

Flight attendants complain of Chinese just poking them with a finger, anywhere, to gain their attention.

Which part of the above has anything at all to do with Chiang Mai?

• Like 1

Japanese don't:

-talk all at once and loudly

-hack or spit

-queue-jump

-push you out of the way

-drop food on the table and leave it there

-pick at their nose

-snarl at you

-encroach on your private space

-demand bargaining for everything

-snub you if they don't get what they want

-publicly fight amongst each other

As a westerner, I've been observing the differences for years. It is fascinating and illuminating.

Quite correct.Seen many a Farang doing all of the above,that is what you mean is it not?

• Like 2

Not so many Japanese people who actually went to war are even alive.

Like I'm responsible for what my great great great great so great grandfather did. Still, everyone should pay respect to historical locations. I'm sorry if those Japanese in the past made you feel uncomfortable on your trip, and i hope you don't feel the same way to the rest of Japanese people. smile.png

• Like 1