At 65, can you take your 800,000 baht back?

I have looked over a while and being a few years from aged 65, have never seen if at that age, whether you can recover your money left before 65 to stay in Thailand. As I feel it is important to have an income plus a lump sum back up in my Thailand retirement, can I include that tied up money back into the calculation from the age of 65? I will have state and private pensions paying out after 65, less than 65,000 baht a month but near, will that alone allow me to stay? If the 800,000 baht was not needed to keep retirement visa renewed from the age of 65, it would give me about 3 million baht as back up.But if still tied up, just over 2 million baht, which could be a bit low. So if anyone could answer my query it would help my planning. Thanks.

You not need to keep all of the 800K baht. You would meet the 800K number by combining your income for a year with money in the bank. For an example income of 60k baht equals an income of 720k and only 80k baht in the bank would be needed.

You not need to keep all of the 800K baht. You would meet the 800K number by combining your income for a year with money in the bank. For an example income of 60k baht equals an income of 720k and only 80k baht in the bank would be needed.

If that path was taken an Embassy letter would be needed which evidenced "income" as well as a letter from the bank.

Believe you have been reading the supposed requirements for multi entry non immigrant visas from Hull - that has nothing to do with immigration extensions of stay which are allowed for retirement from age 50 up. Each year you must show 800k in bank account for 3 months prior to new one year extension, or obtain Embassy letter of pension/income of 65k per month or have both for a total of 800k per year. This is an ongoing yearly requirement. You do not have to keep money in any account at other times. So if your pensions equal 60k per month x 12 = 720k you would have to keep 80 or more in account for those 3 months each year (at worst) - currently most offices do not require any period of seasoning when combined with pension.

• Like 1

Believe you have been reading the supposed requirements for multi entry non immigrant visas from Hull - that has nothing to do with immigration extensions of stay which are allowed for retirement from age 50 up. Each year you must show 800k in bank account for 3 months prior to new one year extension, or obtain Embassy letter of pension/income of 65k per month or have both for a total of 800k per year. This is an ongoing yearly requirement. You do not have to keep money in any account at other times. So if your pensions equal 60k per month x 12 = 720k you would have to keep 80 or more in account for those 3 months each year (at worst) - currently most offices do not require any period of seasoning when combined with pension.

Of course if you are Married to a Thai National and get a Spouse Visa, you only need to have 400K in the bank ahead of the annual application.

I thought I read somewhere that if you were in receipt a state old aged pension of any value you could retire here and the 800k requirement no longer needed. I believe that was from the UK pension thread. Interested to know if this is true?

I thought I read somewhere that if you were in receipt a state old aged pension of any value you could retire here and the 800k requirement no longer needed. I believe that was from the UK pension thread. Interested to know if this is true?

That does not apply to extensions of stay. It is for getting a non-o visa from the Hull consulate.
  • Like 1