Being religious: thai vs farang

snake24

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing strange at all, here they believe in ghosts, voodoo, black magic or any bullshit, if you understand this none sense is promulgated by brainwashed illiterates to a uneducated society who will believe anything if as they think it will improve their lot in life , ie good luck and free money, which most people here go to the temple to ask for and happily pay for the privilege , hence the zillions of. Temples, he'll I could go on but I am sure you get the drift

A lot of people in Thailand would say they are Buddhists, I do think a hell of a lot are very casual/superstitious on their beliefs and followings of the religion, which is fine, I am not judging. As a matter of fact I think after myself only reading two books from the Dalai Lama I could probably spout more knowledge on the religion than a lot of Thais lol.

I do like to read some books on certain religions, Buddism offers a lot of interesting philosophy and worth studying up on especially if you live/visit a buddhist country.

• Like 1

I was born in catholic country, yet my parents weren't devoutly religious and I pretty much got over it at a young age, therefore god was in the same category as the easter bunny, santa claus or unicorns. I still loved fairy tales as a child, and religion to me was yet another fairy tale for adults. It took me years to realize, that belief meant that people would be convinced of the existence of their chosen deity, just like a part of the natural world. It seems odd to me, but if others need that kind of stuff for whatever reason, fine, I couldn't care less. My tolerance stops at the moment when someone tries to push their views on me or intervene otherwise in education or government.

• Like 1