Being religious: thai vs farang

snake24

Firstly this affected me when i observed how religious my thai friends were. They would make going to temples and praying to buddha as important.

More information about me: I was born catholic that is i was born in a catholic family so yes i suppose my family is pretty religious. My siblings stopped being catholic years ago and followed a non traditional denominational christian church and if you are catholic you would know joining a different denomination might as well be the same as becoming a satanic worshipper.

I know how ppl in the west look at religion. They think it's hogwash. That is why church attendance in western nations is falling. Now many non western ppl still think that christianity has a strong hold on the western world in today's world but that isn't the case in reality. It certainly isn't like middle eastern countries where islam reigns supreme for example.

In short the hold christainity has on western aka farang countries isn't that big anymore.

Anyway seeing how religious my thai friends were actually made me curious about my own family religion. You see to me yes i was born in a catholic family and attended cathecism or school for young catholic children before they attended confirmation at 16 where they would be confirmed catholics in the church but it just turned me off. Anyway after observing my thai friends being so religious i decided to attend church again. I attended all sorts of churches from catholic ones to non traditional ones and these were the churches that were growing in power in my home country of singapore.

The point of this thread is don't you think how thai ppl being religious has sort of awakened your curiousity about religion? Don't you yourself as a farang that thinks your christian religion as plain 100% BS somehow find it odd that your thai partner is like the opposite of you?

Sure she/he probably isn't a christian so does not believe in some figure on a cross but she/he believes in some supernatural personanality , buddha or otherwise and doesn't that awaken your own curiousity on your own religion which would i suppose be christinaity.

• Like 1

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than being able to spout a whole bunch of mythological claptrap that got attached to Buddhism. Most Thais couldn't speak for 5 minutes on what the Buddha taught.

OK but then again it isn't even about being intellectual about it. The fact of the matter is they are still very religious about it.

I am just wondering how does it affect society as a whole. Now buddism might be a big joke to you but what about islam?

I doubt a terrorist knows much about islam as much as any ordinary westerner knows about christainity but the fact of the matter is he's willing to die for it.

Is religion even important in today's world?

Here's the sickening double standards that i bet some western ppl have. Islamic religious ppl will kill for their religion. Respect islam.

Other religions won't kill you for disrespecting their religion, disrespect all of them.

You think that religion is no longer important to the average farang? Just watch how many TV farangs voice an opinion on your thread Snake and which will, inevitably, degenerate to Thai/Buddhist/Islam bashing - not necessarily in that order!

In answer to your question however: Has the fact that Thais appear to be so religious, awoken any interest in religion in myself?

No

The main thing that Buddhism has going for it: is that it is more effective as a way of life,instead of a Religion. which it was never designed to be a religeon.

Recent happenings,that show up the corruption and greed,from those that would have us believe,in austerity,a simple life,and,poverty,is hard to believe,considering a relatively poor country has enough wealth to produce more than 15,000 Temples! which then gather in enough finances to continue to produce even more Temples. Compared with new Farang,Churches,Chapels, which are struggling to survive,how does it really compare?

Edit Apologies for under estimate of Temples in Thailand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Buddhist_temples_in_Thailand

Edited by MAJIC

I agree with the OP western religions have to provide something extra to hold the congregation together, i.e Schools for the Children,extracuricular events/activities , councelling services,etc their power base has been eroding for decades,who would now believe in Heaven and Hell ? only poor countries,and the uneducated,and believers in ridiculous doctrines.

The main thing that Buddhism has going for it: is that it is more effective as a way of life,instead of a Religion. which it was never designed to be a religeon.

Recent happenings,that show up the corruption and greed,from those that would have us believe,in austerity,a simple life,and,poverty,is hard to believe,considering a relatively poor country has enough wealth to produce more than 15,000 Temples! which then gather in enough finances to continue to produce even more Temples. Compared with new Farang,Churches,Chapels, which are struggling to survive,how does it really compare?

You are correct but thai buddhism well isn't "pure" buddhism in the sense that they believe that the buddha is a supernatural being.

The minute you see "supernatural" well those farangs with their more advanced science think it's BS or at least a portion but growing portion of them think so.

Yet at the end of the day there are more ppl that believe in a religion than those that don't believe in one.

Don't you feel it's well fascinating that we have a nation of ppl that believe in a religion that isn't abramhamic in nature.

I agree with the OP western religions have to provide something extra to hold the congregation together, i.e Schools for the Children,extracuricular events/activities , councelling services,etc their power base has been eroding for decades,who would now believe in Heaven and Hell ? only poor countries,and the uneducated,and believers in ridiculous doctrines.

So you feel that the more educated and the richer a country becomes the less religious it becomes? Let's ignore countries that just had waelth shoved unto them like the oil rich middle eastern countries but let's talk about another technocially advanced and rich country maybe japan and they are well pretty religious in their shinto beliefs.

You are correct but thai buddhism well isn't "pure" buddhism in the sense that they believe that the buddha is a supernatural being.

The minute you see "supernatural" well those farangs with their more advanced science think it's BS or at least a portion but growing portion of them think so.

Yet at the end of the day there are more ppl that believe in a religion than those that don't believe in one.

Don't you feel it's well fascinating that we have a nation of ppl that believe in a religion that isn't abramhamic in nature.

It's a Universal fact,the poorer and uneducated the people,the more they believe in Religeon, Worship,Magic,the Supernatural,Ghosts,Reincarnation,Soothsayers,etc etc. Gods gift to Crooks, Conmen,and Shysters. believe it or not I favour, Karma,not for any mystical reason,but it seems to have very good results without the help of anyone!

Once anyone starts to realise that religions can be manipulated and corrupted to gain power and wealth, the con of organised religion is there for all to see.

It will happen in Thailand also.. I don't need a church or a temple to commune with my special friends.

Buddhism in Thailand is predominately about superstition and money just like the Church in the West.

A bit harsh?

I kinda of like it.

Lovely Temples ... thumbsup.gif

Just not enough hotties in the attending masses.

• Like 1

The only reason people in the West, are less religious now - are because of a increasing level of education.

Give the Thai's a better education, and they will call the BS.

What's BS about treating other people with respect?

What's BS about minding your speech?

What's BS about not killing other living beings?

Buddhism can teach most of us a lot of things that would probably help us live a better life. I can't actually see ONE thing about that I can call BS.

wai.gif

• Like 1

I agree with the OP that people in the west generally regard religion as hogwash, BUT, christianity still seems to have a huge hold in the good old USA. Is it a measure of lack of true development? ;-)

The belief in sky gods is now very minimal in the UK, with the Church of the Latter-Day Dude being one of the few to be expanding. Go Google Dudeism - funny...

Snake, I was dating a Singaporean girl for quite a while when I was working there. Her Mother was extremely catholic. I felt so sorry for her as her Husband had divorced her the catholic church had her convinced she was going to hell.

That poor woman had no life, no friends, no future. All because some bloke in a white sheet had her convinced that an imaginary being has condemned her to hellfire and damnation.

Stick your religion where the sun don't shine pal.

• Like 2

The only reason people in the West, are less religious now - are because of a increasing level of education.

Buddhism can teach most of us a lot of things that would probably help us live a better life. I can't actually see ONE thing about that I can call BS.

wai.gif

Though not part of Buddhism, certainly part of Thai religion and culture

I would call ghosts and spirits BS, what do you call it?

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

wai.gif

Are any of these things the preserve of Buddhism?

Respect for people is not a religious Buddhist trait. You are confusing good manners and a bit of awareness for Buddhism.

Don't believe that only Buddhists are good people around. There are plenty of polite, vegetarian, kind considerate atheists around too.

• Like 1

Religion is inself a good thing except for the proclaimed believers who are not able to practice it.

So......most of them are like that.

In another thread about thainess is stated that buddhism is as well about promise a little and give more so 1 can keep at least its promise (ongoing).

If only human nature.........

Dear Ms Farmgirl,

based on certain indications i deem it necessary that you tighten the reigns of one of your acquaintances.

i will submit relevant details in a private message.

with best regards,

Naam

• Like 1

Dear Ms Farmgirl,

based on certain indications i deem it necessary that you tighten the reigns of one of your acquaintances.

i will submit relevant details in a private message.

with best regards,

Naam

... cheesy.gif

go for it Naam ... I do a few more indiscretions to make it worthwhile.

Love your style ... clap2.gif