Bangkok police want cars older than 10 years off the streets

webfact

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why don't they have a yearly safety inspection on any vehicle over 5 years old and make a reasonable decision if the vehicle is safe for the road or not. Oh wait this is Thailand and this is too simple of a solution

Actually there is already a required safety inspection for older cars (I forget the # years cut-off, but my cars have always needed it) in order to renew registration.

There is already a required inspection at road tax renewal time for vehicles over 7 years old that in theory forces the owner to keep them in proper condition. Proper enforcement of that requirement should get the clunkers off the road.

Perhaps Pol Maj Gen Adul Narongsak, deputy commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, is trying to prove his worth by showing his understanding and solutions to Thailand's problems so that he can be appointed as a fully qualified deputy prime minister in the Shinawatra dynasty. Maybe his office can be next to Chalerm's.

Edited by aguy30

Owners of such cars should be required to pay a yearly vehicle tax at the rate of a new car if they want to continue driving in Bangkok, Adul added.

Another Thai solution to a major problem. Your car isn't road worthy anymore because it has no lights, insufficient brakes and is bad for the environment, but if you pay us another 2000 baht a year we will close eyes.

• Like 1

Now just hold-on a moment. Are these highly enlightened folk suggesting they send all the "Heaps of SH*T" to the country?

What a pack of Loony-Toons. In any case, there are thousands of very well maintained older cars on the roads. Just crack-down of the "Stinkers" and let everyone else get on with their lives.

I totally disagree because only poor people own old cars, let make new tax for those family owns more then 2 cars that will be fair as some rich family have 4-6 cars parking in front of their house.

Removed taxi and public vans from bus stop or main entry of shopping mall. In Thailand taxi don't stop at bus lane only when see a police the rest blocking the whole traffic .

Make smart traffic lights you can see counting on empty side the other side pack with cars, counting not so important only have smart traffic light which can sense which side are longer given more time to access.The government should invest these technology to reduce traffic congestion not by apply laws to bullies the poor.

People driving 10 YO cars will also not be so keen to pay tea money at a Police check point / Money collection Point so eliminating them will get rid of the cheap Charlie’s more space for better class of cash payers.

This has to be the dumbest law I've ever seen proposed. Older cars are not the problem here in Bangkok.

The city still needs to build more highways and add right turn lanes instead of having to drive 2kms to make a U-turn.

Bangkok is a growing city and the cars are going to keep coming. I fully understand why people buy cars. The taxis drivers can be arrogant and downright dangerous.

BTS and MRT have LONG way to go before it actually works for ALL of Bangkok. So many areas of Bangkok not served by BTS and MRT. The car is the most logical choice.

Well who the hell thought it was smart to licence cars on a sliding scale anyway?????

Typical Thai money grabbing solution. A better scheme is one that is used in many other countries.Old vehicles are put through a rigorous testing at a proper testing station.EVERYTHING is checked thoroughly------ not just lights and brakes.But hey!!!! lets just charge them more money for being on the road.The fact that they are a hazard in their condition,and goodness knows what would happen if you ran into one of them------- they would probably disintergrate!!!! If the bodywork does not worry the owner ,why would he worry about silly things like brakes etc. No the sensible thing to do is get them to give us a bit more money---------- problem of old vehicles on the roads solved !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't they have a yearly safety inspection on any vehicle over 5 years old and make a reasonable decision if the vehicle is safe for the road or not. Oh wait this is Thailand and this is too simple of a solution

Actually there is already a required safety inspection for older cars (I forget the # years cut-off, but my cars have always needed it) in order to renew registration.

I think its 7 years. But there is a fundamental flaw in this system... It's easily corruptible !

Thailand already has good traffic laws - Enforcing them correctly would help reduce Bangkok's congestion.

Instead of building condo's providing plentiful and free parking at the BTS terminus would present a significant movement towards reducing congestion.

The Busses and Taxi's are also a major source of congestion - When numerous busses are stopping in the middle lane congestion is created.

Food carts etc also clog up the streets and create both pavement (sidewalk) and road congestion.

There are many many possible solutions towards reducing congestion not just in Bangkok but in many of Thailand's towns and cities - It all starts not being so lazy !!! Instead of creating yet another 'crack down' The government should encourage the BiB to simply enforce existing laws properly.

There is such yearly inspection on all vehicles over 7 years I believe, whereby the vehicle is inspected for all safety and mechanical roadworthiness,

Yea and what a wonderful job they make of it--------- how come so many old cars,trucks etc are driving around looking as though they are going to fold up any minute----- or is that not part of the test ??????????

First of all since when is a Policeman (regardless of rank) authorised to pass into local or general legislation laws that HE thinks fit. I thought that was what Thailand had Government and Local Authority politicians for? Secondly, he clearly does not have the first clue of what he is talking about. If every vehicle (and I say vehicle to include buses, trucks et al) was obliged to do a Ministry of Transport Vehicle Inspection at a recognised and approved Inspection Station, three years after initial registration and annually thereafter.. They would then be obliged to display a large sticker in their windscreen to say when the next test is due. Out of date stickers should attract either a large fine of say 10,000 baht for first offence or confiscation of vehicle, which would be mandatory for second offence (data should be available in a national computer system). I do not agree that all vehicles should pay the same tax. The lower the cc, the lower the tax band, regardless of age. Incidentally I own a Honda CRV coming eight years old and a Jeep that is now a wonderful 37 years old. Both are kept in top road worthy condition because they are serviced/repaired at three monthly intervals. Would put many of the dangerous, belching so called internal combustion conveyances that masquerade as transport on Thai roads to shame. Feel better nowcoffee1.gif

• Like 1

Feel sure would be better the other way around.... ?

New cars No Road Tax payment for 1st 2 years, then go up in steps each year the older it gets....

at what point is the old car value less then the yearly road tax ?

Owners of such cars should be required to pay a yearly vehicle tax at the rate of a new car if they want to continue driving in Bangkok, Adul added.

Another Thai solution to a major problem. Your car isn't road worthy anymore because it has no lights, insufficient brakes and is bad for the environment, but if you pay us another 2000 baht a year we will close eyes.

Yep---- that's exactly what I said------ a profitable idea and PROBLEM SOLVED

I'm sorry but they already do - at least for cars that want to be taxed and insured. I have a nine year-old Honda CRV in excellent condition which must run the gamut of safety inspection every year. After leaving the test station however, I pass and am passed by cars with bald tyres, no lights and other misdemeanours which are impervious to the apparent law...?? Makes you wonder...

Most ALL new car dealer's sales are in the deep ditch big time and as a result of the first time car buyer program. I wonder if this is a program to assist the new car dealers (again)? I think it's payback/support to the big taxpayers, Toyota, Honda etc.. It has sod all to do with old vehicles.

Put the tax on the fuel, them that do more miles should pay more. It's not how old the car is BUT how many miles you do in a year. Why should a car that covers 5k a year pay the same as a car that does 150k in a year.

Both I think.

What both should pay the same in tax, when one does 30 times more mile's. that's like saying when you are in Tesco and have 3 items in your basket, you should pay the same as the man next to you that has a full basket.

Huh? You think there is no tax in the pump prices of fuel?

Of-course we all know that fuel is taxed. We are talking about the extra tax we pay to have the car on the road. This is taxed per car if you drive it once or 10 times a week. If this tax was added to the fuel cost (about 25 stang per litre) them that use the roads more, pay more. Why should someone pay the same tax as someone that uses the roads 10, 15, 20 times more. The car tax is to help pay towards the upkeep off the roads, so the more you use it the more you should pay. It would also make people think twice about taking the car when they could walk.

Is the Toyota that was running on 3 cylinders the economy model?

If I can remember it was a 70's thing/idea

Mitz did on a small 4 cylinder you could shut it down to 2 cylinders... vibration problems.. + buyers problems

believe all the other make that did this were above 6 cylinders, eg: a V12 you could shut down and use just 10,8 or 6 cylinders, others also V8's, and V16's, as with most things, it was something new at the time and buyer did not understand them so did not buy....

So your car does 8 - 10 miles to the gallon, shut down 1/2 the cylinders you could get 25 MPG [Cadillac 70's or early 80's, if I can remember, I am not from the US]........

GM Cadillac started it I believe, but had problems, many of the big Benz, still some big old Benz about with this engine

Edited by ignis

i think taking cars off the road that are spewing out black smoke and are a danger to everyone around them is a great idea!

But this is not really about this is it?

Its just a deflective move to announce that the new car policy was a success because the second hand car price has fallen through the floor, and there are too many new cars on the market they cant get rid of.

a 10 year old Honda has plenty of life left in it - so whatever the 10 year plan is it sounds like garbage. 20 years okay!

• Like 1