Bangkok's Don Mueang airport readies for floods

webfact

Bangkok's Don Mueang airport readies for floods
Posted by Arno Maierbrugger

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok’s second largest airport Don Mueang, used by a number of low-cost airlines including Airasia, said on October 5 it has finished building flood walls and strengthening its internal water management system equipped with pumps to be prepared for possible flooding in the coming weeks.

A 13-kilometer flood wall, built with help from the Royal Thai Air Force, would prevent water from outside from entering the site, said Chaturongkapon Sodmanee, the airport’s general manager. If flooding does occur inside the airport, it has 12 pumping stations with 37 pumps that have a combined capacity of pumping 48,000 cubic meters of water per hour.

The Royal Thai Air Force also has another six pumps with a capacity to discharge 26,000 cubic meters per hour. As well, the airport also has an internal pond with capacity to accept up to 1.2 million cubic meters of water.

Officials are confident that with such preparation, the airport will be able to provide services to passengers without any interruption. The airport was hard hit during the great flood in October and November 2011 with water covering the ground and damaging many aircraft. Some had to be retired from service, abandoned or sold for scrap.

Source: http://investvine.com/bangkoks-don-mueang-airport-readies-for-floods/

-- INVESTVINE 2013-10-08

Here we go again, PTP's world-class ineptitude. The locals here in my office (an architecture firm!) told me they're confident BKK would never flood again. I am confident they are extremely naive.

Edited by gemini81
  • Like 1

So if this area floods again like it did in 2011, I would imagine the flood waters would now be even worse to the locals living outside this flood barrier. DM airport was also an emergency shelter for many(hundreds) local residents. Where would they go now in the event of another flood?

So if this area floods again like it did in 2011, I would imagine the flood waters would now be even worse to the locals living outside this flood barrier. DM airport was also an emergency shelter for many(hundreds) local residents. Where would they go now in the event of another flood?

This is Pahonyohthin Road just a bit south of the Ying Charoen Market in Saphan Mai and looking looking south; so the airport would be a less than a kilometer to the viewers right. The road in this area is higher than the sois off of it, so between Pahonyohthin and the airport the water was much deeper. It was a massive flood and it was far worse to our north just at Soi 54/1 and that's where the first gate to Air Force base is located. If there were another flood of the same magnitude I don't the airports walls would matter that much to the surrounding areas. Indeed, a dry Air Force base might provide a place for people to go. I just pray it doesn't happen again.

post-188155-0-51637600-1381199301_thumb.

Edited by Local Drunk

Here we go again, PTP's world-class ineptitude. The locals here in my office (an architecture firm!) told me they're confident BKK would never flood again. I am confident they are extremely naive.

If they are architects I would consider if they are fit for their work.

If someone without technical knowledge is confident that BKK would never flooded again than it is extremely naive.

If an architect believe that, he either never leaves his home and looks around or he is unfit for his job.

• Like 2

The airport was hard hit during the great flood in October and November 2011 with water covering the ground and damaging many aircraft. Some had to be retired from service, abandoned or sold for scrap.

I remember the various jets being parked sitting in the floodwaters at DM at the time. But I never remember hearing that there was sufficient damage to result in the total loss of any planes there????

The airport was hard hit during the great flood in October and November 2011 with water covering the ground and damaging many aircraft. Some had to be retired from service, abandoned or sold for scrap.

I remember the various jets being parked sitting in the floodwaters at DM at the time. But I never remember hearing that there was sufficient damage to result in the total loss of any planes there????

A large number of private light aircraft were submerged up to their engines. Many could not be flown out because they waited too long, or were not permitted to fly for paperwork reasons.

If someone without technical knowledge is confident that BKK would never flooded again than it is extremely naive.

If an architect believe that, he either never leaves his home and looks around or he is unfit for his job.

No coincidence the foreign architects and urban planners we have here are saying "hold on a second" but the 3 local ones just have blind faith in the idea the gov't would save greater BKK, without analyzing it- that is the real point- 'without analyzing it'. Even LPN, with some prodigious engineers, is willing to slap up mass 'pack 'em and stack 'em communities in Rangsit/Pathum right smack in the flood zones. Really makes you wonder how a lesson can never be learned! A normal kid touches a burner, gets hurt, says, "boy, I'll never do that again!" A mentally retarted child may repeat it over and over again, unable to make the connection that the same action would have the same results.

• Like 2

I would label that as Thainess: denial of the obvious. Regardless of the color of the shirt they are wearing.

No administration in the past did anything meaningful and/or effective to abate the effects of floods in Thailand.

The Khmer, back in the 9th. century, built a catchment water system to keep Angkor Wat safe from floods.

Their situation was very critical as the large lake Tonle Sap is only a few kilometers away and it quickly overflowed.

Edited by pisico

This is Pahonyohthin Road just a bit south of the Ying Charoen Market in Saphan Mai and looking looking south; so the airport would be a less than a kilometer to the viewers right. The road in this area is higher than the sois off of it, so between Pahonyohthin and the airport the water was much deeper. It was a massive flood and it was far worse to our north just at Soi 54/1 and that's where the first gate to Air Force base is located. If there were another flood of the same magnitude I don't the airports walls would matter that much to the surrounding areas. Indeed, a dry Air Force base might provide a place for people to go. I just pray it doesn't happen again.

attachicon.gifSaphan Mai Pahonyohtin.jpg

I admit I have little knowledge of this area, I did go to the airport when it was flooded and was amazed at how fast the water was flowing through the gates to the tarmac and around buildings. I can only assume, after seeing this, that if one blocked such a large open area the water flow would slow dramatically and naturally rise due to this large obstruction and its only avenue to flow now is around these walls and down narrow streets.

Of course I could be totally wrong in my thinking, surely the government would have taken this into consideration before building,right? blink.png

No coincidence the foreign architects and urban planners we have here are saying "hold on a second" but the 3 local ones just have blind faith in the idea the gov't would save greater BKK, without analyzing it- that is the real point- 'without analyzing it'. Even LPN, with some prodigious engineers, is willing to slap up mass 'pack 'em and stack 'em communities in Rangsit/Pathum right smack in the flood zones. Really makes you wonder how a lesson can never be learned! A normal kid touches a burner, gets hurt, says, "boy, I'll never do that again!" A mentally retarted child may repeat it over and over again, unable to make the connection that the same action would have the same results.

That is even more scary than the floods.....

attachicon.gifSaphan Mai Pahonyohtin.jpg

I admit I have little knowledge of this area, I did go to the airport when it was flooded and was amazed at how fast the water was flowing through the gates to the tarmac and around buildings. I can only assume, after seeing this, that if one blocked such a large open area the water flow would slow dramatically and naturally rise due to this large obstruction and its only avenue to flow now is around these walls and down narrow streets.

Of course I could be totally wrong in my thinking, surely the government would have taken this into consideration before building,right? blink.png

It's question of elevation, perhaps a little as or less than a meter give or take from the mean from our house. As I recall we planned to move back to our house after the New Year. We decided to go to Surin for the New Year and I remember that the airport was still flooded as we drove on the tollway, and taking the highway through Autthya was like driving across a sea. The real problem for us was the lack of a central authority. You had the PM and the Governor of Bkk at odds. Then there were all the other little political monkeys climbing out of the woodwork and asserting their authority. In the end, and in my opinion the flood was completely mismanaged. If a flood of the same magnitude hits us again the walls around the airport might be the salvation for many. The water that flooded the airport in 2011 would have only raised the flood level a few centimeters when spread out over so many square Kilometers.

Edited by Local Drunk

No floods, never ever again.....I can still clearly recall the promises made by the PM & DPM.

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And next year they're gonna say the same again, the same old fancy nancy mega project plans to delude the public, no actions again, smiley smiley thank you, see you again next year.

itchybum, on 08 Oct 2013 - 10:28, said:
Local Drunk, on 08 Oct 2013 - 08:01, said:

Ok... you can land at the airport, but you can't leave.

Sounds like a song...

Hotel Bangkok wink.png

Never thought of it that way...If I had I'd have said, "You can land but you can never leave."

I have traveled for months in Cambodia and have seen their remarkable mastery in construction and planing. Khmers built everything in stone, not soft clay bricks and wood, as the Thais always have. One prime example is the so called Prasat (since it was built by others Thais call it a fortress, not a temple) Phanom Rung in Buriram. Khmers created the tools to work stone and their water catchment system still exists in nearby Angkor Wat. They could use the water later to irrigate during the harsh Summer months. I stop here lest I am accused of being a Thai basher.

I would label that as Thainess: denial of the obvious. Regardless of the color of the shirt they are wearing.

No administration in the past did anything meaningful and/or effective to abate the effects of floods in Thailand.

The Khmer, back in the 9th. century, built a catchment water system to keep Angkor Wat safe from floods.

Their situation was very critical as the large lake Tonle Sap is only a few kilometers away and it quickly overflowed.

Doesn't that make a statement?!!! I mean, the 9th century, they had the tools and means! While my co workers can't see it, yet build hyatt hotels and sansiri condos. A country unexposed in denial, distracted by materialism, k pop and fashion.

• Like 1

So they have built flood defences to keep DM operational. Since the area surrounding the airport is generally at a lower level than the airport itself, and therefore in the event that the flood barrier is required to keep the water out, has anyone given any thought as to HOW the passengers are going to get to and from the airport, since the roads surrounding it will be impassable?

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal. Do not post using overly large font.

I took this on my return from Bang Pahan on 5 Nov 2011. You can see the engines are partially submerged.

Many of the large aircraft parked at DM during the flood were decommissioned and had already been stripped of their engines before the flood.

nerjaron, on 08 Oct 2013 - 13:58, said:

So they have built flood defences to keep DM operational. Since the area surrounding the airport is generally at a lower level than the airport itself, and therefore in the event that the flood barrier is required to keep the water out, has anyone given any thought as to HOW the passengers are going to get to and from the airport, since the roads surrounding it will be impassable?

Thought implies having a functional brain which unfortunately is a rare asset here.. I am sure they can spare some boats when they are not busy pushing down water..

nerjaron, on 08 Oct 2013 - 13:58, said:

Thought implies having a functional brain which unfortunately is a rare asset here.. I am sure they can spare some boats when they are not busy pushing down water..

DM Airport is located right next to the elevated toll way. Passengers can take the elevated toll way to reach the airport without touching the flooded roads.

• Like 1

sanmyintmaung, on 08 Oct 2013 - 15:12, said:
kotsak, on 08 Oct 2013 - 14:52, said:
nerjaron, on 08 Oct 2013 - 13:58, said:nerjaron, on 08 Oct 2013 - 13:58, said:

DM Airport is located right next to the elevated toll way. Passengers can take the elevated toll way to reach the airport without touching the flooded roads.

Yes but that works only for getting to the airport.. Not when driving out which in this case you have to get to ground street level first before getting up to the elevated toll way..

What about me? I'm scheduled to fly into DM airport later this month and then out to HK. What provisions were taken in 2011 for domestic/intl transfers, all on AirAsia? If any.

Back in 2011, Air Asia was located at the other airport. It moved to DM after the floods.