Ah Sir khun mai Thai its Farang price for you!

DerekMc

Only legal way to avoid it is to show your work permit or your tax return slip. Both show that you pay taxes and contribute to the nation's welfare. Yes, I know 50% of Thais pay no tax.... Anyway, the prices are not much more expensive for farang, and if you do not have money, you probably are not welcome in Thailand (or anywhere else)

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is old news - we all know farangs pay more - so accept it, show your driver's licence etc to try and get your "little" discount or cough up !

Thailand needs the tourists and have to make the money while they can... one can never tell how long the joy ride will last

We in Austria also charge the Germans and Japanese double, triple than the locals.

Also when those Germans are married to an Australian wife and have Australian children ?

Sorry but he mentioned " Austria " , not "Australia". Leave us poor Aussies out of it, lol!

Their country, their rules. If you don't like it you can always leave.

I think it is some what justified since most westerners don't pay taxes or otherwise contribute to the development of this country.

Got half way through page 2 and though we had a good chance of not seeing the "If you don't like it you can leave" reply, but sadly it wasn't to be.. the forum newbie had to flex his muscles!!!

I'm impressed.

I think it is some what justified since most westerners don't pay taxes or otherwise contribute to the development of this country.

Every Baht spent in this country by a tourist is a contribution to the country and its development, even if it's just locally and no taxes are paid. It's called tourism, and I think it's here to stay.

Edited by Zumteufel
  • Like 1

We in Austria also charge the Germans and Japanese double, triple than the locals.

If my parents ordering a schnaps (some high alcohol drink) they pay less than foreigner and the waiter takes the other bottle which is not watered down.

rip off here rip off there.....same same

No h90...that's far from being the same--- What you are doing is ripping off a customer, & as an Australian I can say that if you--or your employer were found out, then action would be taken. So please do not talk about we in Australia when all your talking about is some hole in the wall joint taking advantage of some tourist that wanders in there for a drink---- What the OP is complaining about, is a state ordered policy to charge another fee because of Race / origin ---No we don't have that in Australia, if you get into a line to enter sea world , go to dive the great barrier reef, you would pay the same amount that a Japanese person next to you pays.

As someone that has worked in the Australian Tourist industry ---the place you are talking about.....If it ever existed...... would be a disgrace to Australia and to any fair minded person that worked there.

Dude....read the post. It's about AUSTRIA - a country in Europe, as opposed to AUSTRALIA, a small island off the west coast of New Zealand in the antipodes.

AUSTRIANS are not overly fond of GERMANS, hence the point of the post.

And there have been half a dozen other posts clarifying this already.

I bet that as an AUSTRALIAN, you'd probably water down the JD of a poor humble Kiwi lad though, wouldn't ya!! whistling.gif

• Like 1

Completely wrong.....! Westerners who live here are all subject to income tax on income. I pay more than most Thais in income tax and VAT, plus myself and many of my friends have contributed much to the development of this country in many ways, including infrastructure, development and institutional reform.

I hope you are not evading tax. Better leave if you don't play by the rules. When did you last submit a tax return in Thailand?

I got around the farang price alreay many times because I do speak Thai. I joke with them and ask them to charge my wife the farang price, because she already stole all my money. Just a little joke in Thai, and all is cleared up. If one day it doesn't work, I'll just show them how sad I am and I'll just won't go in. They'll feel bad about it, because I'll loose face for them, but I will also make them feel they loose face as well... so, loose, loose situation.

It is true foreigners have to pay more as thai citizens, some years ago i wanted to visite the park in Sukhothai, i had to pay

400bath while my wife only pay 40 bath, i egger myself a lot to the woman who sales the ticket, even i showed her my tajibaan

i still had to pay 400bath

An other time i go to Khao Yai, even i had to pay full price also showing them the yellow book, they ask me can you show me your drivers license,

in that time i still not got it, so it means when you can show thai driver license you pai same as thai peoples

:tajibaan?

Maybe you mean "tabien baan" or yelow house registration. I've never thought of using mine and never needed it. To get a driver's license, you need to show proof of residency.

If my parents ordering a schnaps (some high alcohol drink) they pay less than foreigner and the waiter takes the other bottle which is not watered down.

rip off here rip off there.....same same

Not quite same same everywhere, in The UK all visitors are charged the same as UK Citizens,it's against the law to discriminate in this manner!

Unless you're a foreign student where you'll be expected to pay up to £16,000 a year for an undergraduate degree rather than the £9000 that UK and EU students pay.

Ridiculous comparison. Even though our Uni prices seem high they are still subsidized by the government, why should the government subsidize non UK/EU students?

So much for western expats bringing too much money into Thailand, here the OP wants to pay 20 baht.

I bet you can't speak a word of Thai, and you want to pay Thai rates.

so in other words if you speak thai you should pay less as if that's some great accomplishment.

maybe if they started charging more for people that don't speak English in America, more people would

simply learn English rather than complain double standards and not what America is about, equality.

Anywhere there is a double standard in pricing I don't go because submitting to that degrades my integrity.

"I bet you can't speak a word of Thai, and you want to pay Thai rates." by far the most ignorant thing I've heard in a long time bah.gif

Actually, I agree People say they are resident and can't speak the language?? Why not? Is it situations like this that makes it all worth while. Like most countries, Thailand should have a language test before giving certain visas.

Only legal way to avoid it is to show your work permit or your tax return slip. Both show that you pay taxes and contribute to the nation's welfare. Yes, I know 50% of Thais pay no tax.... Anyway, the prices are not much more expensive for farang, and if you do not have money, you probably are not welcome in Thailand (or anywhere else)

At many places the prices are much more for a Western looking person. I believe the difference at Ocean World in Siam Paragon is 500 baht more per person. And like most dual pricing establishments they conveniently put the Thai price in Thai numerals. Funny that.

As for the people who are ok with it because foreigners have more money would they be ok if there were dual pricing in Tesco Lotus or Big C, dual meters in taxis, dual menus in restaurants etc because exactly the same rules apply there. I am sure that if faced with the prospect of paying up to 100% more for EVERYTHING then they would be back in their homelands in a shot.

We call ahead to places before we visit and ask if they will charge a foreigner living and working in Thailand who contributes more a month in income tax than most people earn in several if he will be told he has to pay more even though he lives, works and contributes to society. If they say yes then we just don't go. To be honest most places in Thailand are crap anyway, but still the principal remains.

My wife never used to see why it upset me that foreigners living and working here were discriminated against till we went to Vietnam and she was royally ripped off buying some bananas. They screwed her for about 10 times what they should have cost. Then she had to endure me telling her she is a foreigner so paid the foreigner price 'what's the problem?' repeatedly all day. Being on the receiving end of it changed her outlook on things, thats for sure.

Of course you could always subject the ticket booth staff to the suggestion the OP in this post did when he was recently ignored by the locals and see if that works. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/643387-how-to-embarrass-checkout-staff-messing-around-with-one-customer/

Edited by Kananga
  • Like 1

At many places the prices are much more for a Western looking person. I believe the difference at Ocean World in Siam Paragon is 500 baht more per person. And like most dual pricing establishments they conveniently put the Thai price in Thai numerals. Funny that.

I heard it was more. Not funny but pretty clever. Unless you are a tourist, and can't read the number 1-10, you are really disrespecting your adopted country.

A 2 year old kid can learn 1-10.

I know a TEACHER, been here for 17 years and can't even tell me what month it is!!I must ask him if he can write 1-10. I wouldn't be surprised if he could't.

Edited by Neeranam

tax? you mean tourists paying tax?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Really i have one biggest wish for those who support this double pricing.

I truelly wish that one day you found yourself in an hospital(private or public), and because you are white skin and have a big nose, so you gonna pay 10 times the normal price and no other choice. (luckily i did have a premium insurance)

I wish that the immigration increase 10 times their visa fee.

Wish that anything in 7-eleven will cost double for a farang, triple price if you want to buy a car, 4 times in you want to buy a condo.

Wish they will increase their atm fees to 1000 baht per transaction... why not you have so much to throw away!

dont send the wrong message... we are not the golden goose...

those stupid old monkey who dont even realize that you just digging your own graveswhistling.gif

Where did white skin come in? Dont they overcharge all foreigners including those who are non-white? Or do Africans, Indians and Arabs enter at Thai rates?

Duel pricing for Farang and Thais, plus what is a condo worth in Pattaya.

The OP, poor guy, seems to have befallen many of the traps of being in Thailand ... facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif alt=facepalm.gif width=24 height=18>

And why is that may I ask?

I work in the Oil and gas and was buying a condo near a beach town close to BKK for short trips home to Thailand so where is the trap there?

Got half way through page 2 and though we had a good chance of not seeing the "If you don't like it you can leave" reply, but sadly it wasn't to be.. the forum newbie had to flex his muscles!!!

I'm impressed.

Yes, his sphincter muscles. I am amazed it took so long.

I'm a senior citizens and many times I got the 50% senior reduction while my wife have to pay the full price. She's always surprised when it happend.

and indeed with your TD en Tabian ban in almost 99.9 % you pay the Thai price. The only times they asked me the Farang price was when the venue was under the controle of a local authority(Tessebaan)

I do speak Thai and Isaan I do not speak 100% fluently but I have been learning for a number of years and I teach English to the children in my village every weekend which helped a lot for picking up tones and speaking Thai the way Thai's speak,I at least can hold a conversation with a stranger now and can read and write Thai Script which does make me feel like I am living at home..which Thailand is.

I am glad to see that some people can understand that it is not about the amount in difference that Farangs are charged from Thai's its the fact that there is a different price..

Thanks for your advice I will bring my Thai driving licence next time and see will it work,It's as frustrating for my wife as it is for me as she feels its unfair as well but she still wants me

to come and see everywhere in Thailand and I have to say I dont find the parks and other sites Boring...if I did why live in Thailand..I could just live back in Ireland.

Nope, Thai driving licence ain't worth Jack Shit. Two farang went to a local tourist site and one offered his Thai D.L. and was told in no uncertain terms to pay farang price. The other showed his yellow house book and was greeted with clicked heels and a salute. What I find devious is that the actual Thai prices are shown in Thai script not figures.

Oh, the second farang paid the Thai price of 20 baht.

I have a Thai driving licence, and am finding it more and more difficult to use this and get in for Thai price. At least 4 or 5 national parks have refused to accept my licence in the last 6 months.....with regards though I always try to think of admission costs back in the uk. I'd pay a lot more than I do here. I always think its a good idea that the Thai nationals pay less or often nothing after all it is there country and not ours..I only wish the uk took the same measures.