Malaria

Dirk_brijs

How common is Malaria in Pattaya

I always thought it was not as common in Pattaya

Issue is I just got back to work on the ship and got sick and was diagnosed with Malaria.

I am ok as I was given medicine and so on so feeling much better now but was not aware Malaria was even present in Pattaya?

Maybe back on the rise with this extended rain season?

Anybody else issues with Malaria?

Dengue fever is more common in Pattaya. a little snipet of information Malaria has been diagnosed in people around CDG airport in Paris, due to flights coming in from Africa, so no reason why it is not a possibility in Pattaya. With many offshore workers residing here. Remote but a possibility, a mosi comes in someones bag etc or someone returns home infected with Malaria, Pattaya mosi bite the infected person then same Mosi bites you..

there is masses of info about Malaria on the web check it out worth a read. I work with many guys innAfrica who take no precautions because they believe they will never get malaria because they work offshore definitely not the case

http://www.mmv.org/malaria-medicines?gclid=CNuVn4-wi7oCFcIA4god_zUAfw

A few years back I was friendly with a girl who worked in a bar beer on Walking Street, and she came down with malaria. She had to be treated in Banglamung hospital, I remember it as that was the first time I'd been there. She caught it in Pattaya, not up country, so it is possible but not very common. Dengue is far worse and more common in Pattaya as far as I can see. Last rainy season 6 people in the village where I live (around 160 houses) ended up in hospital with dengue. Avoid those striped daytime biters like the plague.