Importing a tractor

Mobaan

I have a perfectly good used MF 240 (50 HP) in the USA ,which I hardly use anymore ,but could put to good use in LOS.

If I import it as a whole ,entire tractor ,even thou a used one there will be an import tax (# 1 -where can I find out how much that might be ?

If I break the tractor down -take off wheels ,seat , canopy ,fenders etc and send them separately in a second -time delayed container - would that qualify for a "used tractor parts tax rate .

In that second container I would include a riding lawn mower -similar stripped down.

Has anyone done this on a small scale before ? Any idea what the cost might be (taxes ) . I am checking with the freight companies right now to see if this is a realistic way to .Those riding lawn mowers I can buy new here for about $ 2000 , whereas the exact same thing in Thailand is $ 6000 ( over 200 000THB). The shipping cant be that expensive ,not to make this a worthwhile project (I stand to be corrected ,right now I am just guessing )

The usual way is to break the vehicle down and send as parts to save on import duty costs. Also piggy-backing on someone else's operation would help. Don't know about the US though. AFAIK, most tractor "parts" come in from Europe and Japan.

MaizeFarmer used to run an operation. Don't know if he's still around.

Regards.

• 1 month later...

I see you started another thread that's locked so I'll post here.

First, that tractor is 40 HP and isn't worth much. Here's a dandy for US$9500 (300,000 bht.) LINK You know that price is negotiable.

The 40 in 240 is the HP.

By "Not worth much" I mean considering the effort, shipping cost and import duties.

You're also up against resale if it's not a popular brand in Thailand. As someone mentioned, you'll have to import all parts, maybe from a used parts dealer and get ripped on import duties on those too.

I'd be looking for a good used Japanese tractor that's popular in Thailand and that has a dealer network. If your tractor in the States isn't the puff that the linked one is, I could buy them all day long for $6500. (200,000 bht.) LINK

Good luck.

Edited by NeverSure

Then there's the Chinese making lots of affordable tractors that should be half the price of a Kubota and last just as long. Freight from China is way less than freight from U.S.A.

OK, some people say Chinese tractors are junk......but if that was true there would be 10 million farmers in China who wouldn't be happy chappies!

What say you?

Then there's the Chinese making lots of affordable tractors that should be half the price of a Kubota and last just as long. Freight from China is way less than freight from U.S.A.

OK, some people say Chinese tractors are junk......but if that was true there would be 10 million farmers in China who wouldn't be happy chappies!

What say you?

A lot of hopeful small entrepreneurs in the US opened dealerships and imported Chinese tractors. They were junk, top to bottom and I don't know of any dealers who are still in business. As they went out of business, they advertised the tractors for sale for what had to be much less than they paid for them.

I have never seen one working on a farm. Only when they were on dealers' lots.

The same thing happened with Chinese scooters. Dealers opened, displayed stock, sold a few and went broke.

The only attraction to the tractors and scooters was price and you didn't get what you paid for.

i bought my little tractor in thailand,

45,000 with 4 disc plough and deliverd,

i then spent another 20,000 on a complete re build, wheel bearings ect

great bit of kit now, 21 hp just what i wanted

jake

ps my wife just bought me the roto tiller too 20,000

post-32351-0-67582500-1385897093_thumb.j

post-32351-0-31584800-1385897212_thumb.j

• Like 1

jake

Jake, that's a really good tractor.

Please do your family a favor and buy a seat belt and correct roll bar (ROPS) for it. (ROPS = Roll over protection shield)

The #1 killer on farms is tractor roll over.

• Like 2

Not to dispute you figures, but from my personal experience working/traveling China, I doubt you can find 10 million happy people, much less 10 million happy farmers.

555 Yes, I know what you mean! Over the years I have seen 100's of pix's of Chinese farmers and they all look like they been hanging on to a sh1t for a week!

But if the tractors are half decent and you can get spares surely you can get 4 or 5 years out of em.

Up at Sak Lek the Kubota dealer girl was telling me a lot of farmers are turning their tractors in for new ones after 3 or 4 years.

jake

Jake, that's a really good tractor.

Please do your family a favor and buy a seat belt and correct roll bar (ROPS) for it. (ROPS = Roll over protection shield)

The #1 killer on farms is tractor roll over.

hi mate,

yes i agree with you, that will be in hand when i get back,

as you know i was a welder before the inspection supervision, so ive allready told the wife thats what ill be doing when i get back,

thanks mate,,

jake

Because a lot of guys in Isaan are new to farming, I'd like to interject another important point. You NEVER hitch something to the tractor for pulling except to the draw bar.

If you hitch to something higher, the tractor has enough rear weight, traction, and gearing to turn the tractor instead of the wheels and bring the tractor over backwards right on top of you. Look at where this tractor is hitched, causing the nose to come up and over. Fortunately he had a ROPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJK5pT-m_9o

Another one, and look at where they are hitched.

And this is as bad as it gets. With so many "farmers" on site, how could they let this happen?

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

I'm sure you can get something similar to Jake's tractor in most areas. Around us 50-100,000 baht for a good one, usually with some attachments. ....and yes there are bound to be a few secondhand Kubotas around quite soon as the rice pledging scheme falls apart. Sad, but there must be a lot of debt out there. If you live anywhere near Chonburi, I noticed recently a John Deere dealer there with some secondhand tractors in the yard