Where can I learn Thai in Kalasin province?

Namon Neil

Hi All,

I have been a lurker on this website for a while and appreciate the generally positive attitude and helpful advice. This contrasts starkly against the overwhelmingly negative attitude towards Isaan from the Southern Pattaya/Bankok based forums.

After a couple of years deliberations I now have commenced planning to move full time to rural Kalasin next year. I'm in my late 50's, have absolutely no need for any Thai Income. More for interest than anything, my Thai partner and I are involved in a micro local business and have recently ventured into farming in a small way (growing man, and intending to grow rice and rubber in the future).

I acknowledge that for my sanity following the move I have to, and am keen to learn Thai (including reading/writing). Not just at the village level, but also in a more structured manner. As for Isaan, I am sure I am able to pick up a fair bit at the village level.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction for learning Thai in Kalasin?

Regards

Neil

?? Not sure if this should be in the Isaan or Thai Language part of the forum??

• Like 1

The best way for me was to speak Thai with my wife, but if you have settled on English together it may be difficult to switch.

I'm not familiar with Kalasin, but in many other places in Isaan you may find it difficult to communicate in Thai and would be better of with the local version of Isaan / Lao language or dialect. Many locals only speak their own dialect. The dialects differ a lot per province too. I speak Thai and it's been very helpful for me at work and many other situations, but if my wife speaks with her family I only pick up a little of the conversation although I do know many words in Isaan.

If you want to be able to communicate all over Thailand than you have to learn Thai like it's spoken in the central or Bangkok area.

If you are really serious it helps to learn to read too.

This is how I did it, when was up country.

Study it by making a plan. Mine was this:

Buy the AUA books and start studying the alphabet. When you know 44 characters you will know 44 words already.

Use an online source with audio support.

Choose a few Thai songs you like and learn to sing along without wondering what the word are. When you have mastered this, you now have something to do at karaoke and then get someone to write the words and learn what they mean. You will get some choice phrases, common phrases, that will make people smile. Songs are great cause you learn tones naturally and intonation. The single most important thing about Thai is not tones, it is length of vowel. You can screw up tones more often and people will usually understand you. But screw up the vowel length and they wont get it at all.

Do something positive with kids. Coach soccer/football or basketball or the like. Teach a drawing class or origami or something. The younger the better. During the off time, while having a cold drink or snack they will speak Thai to you after a while. Or make friends with a neighbor who has kids. Kids are great cause they just talk to you. If they are not shy, they will treat you like you understand what they are saying.

Get a friend to write words for things and fill your house with post it notes with the Thai word for Fridge on the front door. Window, bottle, can, shirt, pants. Fill the <deleted> place. You will be shaving in the mirror learning words.

It is easier to learn Thai up country than it is in Bangkok school. But if you do go to a school of any kind, my opinion is that the 'immersion' technique is best. That is where they just speak to you in Thai all the time and you get to figure it out.

Lastly, DO NOT EXPECT THE GF TO TEACH YOU ANYTHING. THAIS ARE INCAPABLE OF THIS. IN 20 YEARS I HAVE SEEN THIS PROVEN TIME AND AGAIN. They will just quickly revert to English rather than explaining the vocab using more Thai. The concept is impossible to get them to understand. I am fluent in Thai and read it as well. My wife is more fluent in English. We use both, depending on situation, but mostly English. She is well educated but remains incapable of explaining a word by giving a definition rather than just translating it to English. Strange, but true.

• Like 1

Lastly, DO NOT EXPECT THE GF TO TEACH YOU ANYTHING. THAIS ARE INCAPABLE OF THIS. IN 20 YEARS I HAVE SEEN THIS PROVEN TIME AND AGAIN. They will just quickly revert to English rather than explaining the vocab using more Thai. The concept is impossible to get them to understand. I am fluent in Thai and read it as well. My wife is more fluent in English. We use both, depending on situation, but mostly English. She is well educated but remains incapable of explaining a word by giving a definition rather than just translating it to English. Strange, but true.

Sorry I don't agree, my wife is tireless in helping and correcting me with my Thai and so are many others like colleagues and friends. I feel a bit ashamed that my help with her learning English is much less.

What is a great help indeed is online translation like Google offers on phones, tablets and PC. With these you can get instant translation of words you don't know.

By the way there are also programs for mobile devices like iphone and android that help to learn the Thai alphabet, they are very useful for beginners.

• Like 1

Start by learning to read - see www.learnthaionline.com. You can self-study online by watching the videos and practicing the reading exercises. Don't bother with learning to write, it's a waste of time. Then study conversational material and read it out loud over and over again until you gain the muscle dexterity to speak fluently. Your wife won't be able to help you to learn to read, it's too complicated. But she can help you to understand colloquial texts from novels (usually slushy romance novels). Failing that, there are plenty of good Thai teachers who can give you lessons via Skype, but they sometimes charge "western" rates (i.e. $15-$20/hr) whereas a local teacher might only charge 300 baht ($10)/hr. Don't waste your time attending classes, they just don't work.

PM me if you want more specific info or help finding a Skype tutor.

Thanks for the tips,

Pretty much where my thought process was headed.

I have friends who are tremendous in their help and support in teaching me. The problem is they are hours away - so not practical.

My girl is a hopeless teacher. All she does is raises her volume level and keeps repeating a word at me when I get it wrong - and I usually do !! Can't explain what I am saying wrong - simply can't teach. To some extent this won't be too bad as it gives me a reason to talk to others.

I have found the young kids around "home" great and longsuffering without getting loud or grumpy whilst passing on their language skills. An area of village level learning I certainly intend to actively encourage.

Regards

Neil

Here is a link to a site out of Khon Kaen... This very nice Thai Lady teaches Thai on line / skype video... She speaks very good English and is an excellent Teacher... She has taught English in Thai Schools as has her Farang Husband....

http://kketp.com/learn-thai

Plus they are both just really great people to know...

Pianoman

Kalasin

Try to get a Rosetta Stone learning program. All you'll need is a computer, speakers and some time. If you'd like to have a copy, please page me. It didn't work for me to learn Thai from my wife, or any villagers.

There's no such thing as just Isaan. It's similar to any westernized, or more civilized countries. People speak their local slang.

Better you learn Thai, which should be understood by all of them ( Maybe not by Yingluck, but you won't meet her up there..-wai2.gif

Sent via Chinese tablet..

Edited by sirchai

This "learning thai thing" is a 2 sided sword.

By now I understand very basic Thai with the result, that all meaningful conversation stops, as soon as I enter a store/restaurant here in the sticks. (Farang understands. let's talk about the weather).

Going to tourist-hubs and the Thai-Folks not knowing that I understand a good part of it: Mostly, I wish I wouldn't understand any of it. To realize, what they really think of us is very sobering (and this is putting it mildly).

As far as language is concerned: Ignorance may be bliss !

Cheers.

This "learning thai thing" is a 2 sided sword.

By now I understand very basic Thai with the result, that all meaningful conversation stops, as soon as I enter a store/restaurant here in the sticks. (Farang understands. let's talk about the weather).

Going to tourist-hubs and the Thai-Folks not knowing that I understand a good part of it: Mostly, I wish I wouldn't understand any of it. To realize, what they really think of us is very sobering (and this is putting it mildly).

As far as language is concerned: Ignorance may be bliss !

Cheers.

for thai, i recommend pimsleur-courses in listening.

but reading, i started with alphabets, then little later karaoke, which i liked that time,

then a bit later thais got more newspapers on net, sanook.com was one of my favorites.

for lao-isaan, check on google isaan english dictionary.

good luck in studyings, hopefully not bad head ache wink.png

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifwai2.gif

tim