• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mr Richard_Smith237

Sir,

Please forgive my naivety.

You say that the British Embassy is in place for commerce and business. I thought the government of any country was elected to ensure the safety and benefit of each and every citizen regardless of wealth or position. I thought your comment about whose girlfriend was rejected a visa was below the level of childish. (that is if your position is what I think it is) I ask you Sir, what ever happened to Rule Britannia! I, as a British citizen am mortified that Russia would rush to the aid of her citizens yet our overseas representatives can only come up with a nothing response at the best of times.

• Like 1

Best wishes to the injured in this rare incident.

Indeed. Only 29,000 dead in road accidents per year

Please provide a link to the barstool, who gave you those numbers!!coffee1.gif

I believe your infantile question has been answered by several posters below.

Also bear in mind that a "road death" in Thailand is only recorded as such if the victim dies at the scene - and not subsequently in hospital.

As several posters have made the comparison - it is not 3,000 a year dying in the UK in traffic-accidents these days (though it used to be above that) - So how many people are killed or injured on Britains roads according to most recent figures?

"Great Britain has one of the best road safety records in Europe and the world. Despite massive increases in traffic over the last few decades, the number of people killed on our roads has fallen from around 5,500 per year in the mid 1980s to well under 1,754 in 2012. However, this still means that five people die on Britain's roads every day.

Reported Road Casualties in Great Britain, 2012

Killed 1,754

Seriously Injured 23,039

Slightly Injured 193,784

All 195,723

These figures are for road accidents in which someone was injured on a public road and which were reported to the police. Although virtually all fatal road accidents are reported to the police, it is known that many involving injury are not reported, even when some of those involved required medical or hospital treatment. It is estimated that the total number of road casualties in Great Britain is between 660,000 and 880,000 per year, with a best estimate of around 730,000. This includes an estimated 80,000 people who are seriously injured.

Common causes of these unnecessary tragedies include:

Speeding

Around 400 people a year are killed in crashes in which someone exceeds the speed limit or drives too fast for the conditions.

Drink Driving

Around 280 people die a year in crashes in which someone was over the legal drink drive limit.

Seat Belt Wearing

Around 200 lives each year could be saved if everyone always wore their seat belt.

Careless Driving

More than 300 deaths a year involve someone being "careless, reckless or in a hurry", and a further 120 involve "aggressive driving".

At-work

Around one third of fatal and serious road crashes involve someone who was at work.

Inexperience

More than 400 people are killed in crashes involving young car drivers aged 17 to 24 years, every year, including over 150 young drivers, 90 passengers and more than 170 other road users."

[According to ROSPA - ]

http://www.rospa.com/faqs/detail.aspx?faq=296