Bangkok: Police to tow away illegally parked cars beginning on Oct 21

webfact

Police to tow away illegally parked cars beginning on Oct 21

BANGKOK, 11 October 2013 (NNT) - In a bid to ease traffic congestion, the Metropolitan Police Bureau will begin removing vehicles illegally parked on Bangkok streets on October 21,

Deputy Police chief Pol Maj Gen Adul Narongsak, who oversees traffic, said the bureau would issue warnings to owners of illegally parked vehicles from October 15-20 before the launch of the campaign.

Parked vehicles which obstruct traffic will be towed away from 10 roads including Lad Prao, Rama 4, Sukhumvit and Vibhavadi.

Owners will be fined up to 500 baht. In addition, they will have to pay 500 baht for the towing fee and 200 baht daily for maintenance fee.

According to the bureau, so far this year 200,000 drivers have been arrested for parking their vehicles in no-parking zones.

More stringent measures will be considered if parking violations continue in the capital.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-11 footer_n.gif

Finally some sensible news regarding the controlling of traffic in the Capital.

Yes, but that's not nearly enough? Up to 500 baht ? That's a joke and peanuts for those driving a Mercedes. The opportunity cost of their time is probably considerably more than that for the convenience of being able to leave your car " anywhere ".rolleyes.gif

In London it costs up to £130 fine and towing away costs an extra £200blink.png

they have to make it a real deterrent not an alternative to undercover parking

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 2

Yes, but that's not nearly enough? Up to 500 baht ? That's a joke and peanuts for those driving a Mercedes. The opportunity cost of their time is probably considerably more than that for the convenience of being able to leave your car " anywhere ".rolleyes.gif

In any city in the states it's typically $100 ticket and $500 towing fees.

Ah come on. Do we really think this will happen? Sounds like a ploy for supplemental income for the wonderful "defenders of law and order". LOL Confused? Yea me too. OK reality check I should say the BIB mafia not defenders bla bla. This IMO is just more Thai talk talk talk.

• Like 2

If this is actually implemented and sustained, Good. Now, what about the motorbikes parked on pedestrian walkways (I hesititate to call them 'pavements/sidewalks'). I'm sick and tired of having to walk out on to busy roads, both here on Phuket and Bangkok, simply because some lazy arse xxxxxxx can't be bothered to walk the two feet to the shop door.mad.gif

Edited by metisdead
Profanity
  • Like 1

Owners will be fined up to 500 baht. In addition, they will have to pay 500 baht for the towing fee and 200 baht daily for maintenance fee.

Wow, fines like that will really make drivers think twice. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Wonder what the tea money fee will be to ignore the illegally parked car?

They are warning about wrong parking before 15 - 20 of october, but after this dates the momkey yard is free again. They are running a campaign :-) Why do they not run this campaign 24/7 365 days a year ? Lousy police, they call themselves Royal Police, it' s a disgrace of the royal family.

• Like 1

dam_n, they're gonna be busy if they actually do this properly.

You have correctly used the magical word IF.

I wonder when the first photos of police at an illegally parked car emerge with other photos taken shortly afterwards and the car is still there ?

I'm sure weak, unbelievable excuses will be trotted out whereas the truth will be it wasn't moved for the obvious reason we can all think of or it's an expensive make which means it must belong to ' somebody ' or is recognised as defintely belonging to a somebody.

will begin removing vehicles illegally parked on Bangkok streets

Why has everything got to be Bangkok ?

It is just as bad everywhere, sometimes someone in power sees the problem and makes a change, it is then Policed for a few days then just as bad or even worse after.

illegally parked ? in most cases they have there parking flashers on so are not illegally parked........ maybe do the reverse of what another Topic was about and only have old cars in Bangkok the ones that do not have the parking flashers fitted.......

now what year did as we know them Hazard Flashers get fitted to Thai cars ??

let's look at it a bit closer, where are they going to park all those towed cars and pick ups?

last time I look, the local police stations hardly had enough room to park their own cars

an their back yard was full of accident wrecked cars,

What will happened if the car towed is damaged, vandalized or broken in to and stuff

and valuables stolen? who's going to be responsible for it?

I'm sure there will be few more kinks in this scheme to tow away cars willy nilly and

there will be a public back lash...

They will park the cars around the sois of the police station. And then the neighboring police station will come tow vehicles from that police station area to their police station area/sois...etc...etc...etc. When a person tries to track down his towed vehicle it will be like tracking on a rabbit trail.

Sent from my Samsung S4 (GT-I9500)

Do you really think they will tow a Merc ? Especially if it has a nice plate number.whistling.gif

wow great news......i saw a new tow truck yesterday...but not big enough to tow the illegally parked tour bus JACKASSES.....they still do as they please...drive down the small soi's,to avoid the traffic jams that they have created.... .like they are on sukumvit motorway....f n idiots is all they are....idiots....

Take a deep breath. You sound upset over something that is beyond our control.

wow... "According to the bureau, so far this year 200,000 drivers have been arrested for parking their vehicles in no-parking zones."

The TV show on CI 'Parking Wars' would be perfect in thailand. People getting arrested, shouting, and im sure gun slinging... I smell high ratings

Edited by bangarang

Its about time! What about illegal parking of taxis and food carts? Will they be towed away, I think not !!

Buy a few kilometres of chain, and chain up all motorbikes parked on footpaths.

There are a good few streets in Chiang Mai where walking on the road is the only alternative.

SCREW THE DAMN TRAFFIC ! I want cars that are illegally parked on the pavement leaving me with no option but to turn around and go back the way I came OR WALK IN THE DANGEROUS ROAD FULL OF DEADLY SPEEDING CARS removed. They are routinely parked across the entire pavement outside drinking places. I am sure a number of people must be driving home over the limit daily....They should get a car park, park in the road or just leave the cars at home and leave the pavement clear for pedestrians. Yes, I am a non driver.