“You’re only a guest here. If you don’t like it, leave.”

TheGuest

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This ssentence is trotted out to defend the indefenible and it acknowledges the powerlessness of the population.

You dont like corruption, prostitution, pollution, traffic jams? Etc and etc, "go home" and don't talk to me about it, because I am powerless to do anything about it.

The person saying "go home" but instead of doing something about it, they would rather you shut up, because you are making then feel guilty for doing nothing about it.

he who reckons he is a gift to Thailand!

Well you are a worker, not a guest, as you get paid for something?

For sure, if it weren't for people like you where would Thailand be? If it it weren't for the great farang there would be no Thai's in work. You are indeed a saviour of the country.

I bet you, your co-workers unity would soon evaporate once someone said OK lets leave this Job. Now is your chance to test it, just before you leave Thailand.

Well if it was not for foreigners Thailand may well be 3rd world dump .

Most manufacturing is/ was foreign- cars, bikes, electronics , white goods.

Thailand is not and never was a pioneer of anything really.I

Thailand does however practice use and abuse policy really well.

Just think what would be if all foreign capital and businesses pulled out, unless you forgot that it was foreign capital that steered Thailand through the tough times.

If a giant like Toyota pulled out or moved, you would have few thousand of unemployed people and few million short on taxes and that's just a start.

I as a working foreigner pay more tax in 1 month than 4 Thai staff in a life time , because Thai do not pay any ( not all but a vast majority)

I didn't realise the Japanese are farang! your not wrong about how things are, I think Thailand is still a 3rd world country. But if the OP really feels the way he sounds, then maybe he would be better off elsewhere! He could earn more in the same field (what ever that may be) in his home country! So what is he doing here?

Japanese are foreigners just as anyone one else non Thai :)

• Like 1

Op.

You are quite right.

You are not a guest.

You are a migrant worker.

Akin to migrant workers from,Myanmar,Laos, Cambodia.

I am however a guest and was invited.

Thus don't need to seek employment of the downtrodden.

You mean you are retired and hoping to get little more for your pension?

This ssentence is trotted out to defend the indefenible and it acknowledges the powerlessness of the population.

You dont like corruption, prostitution, pollution, traffic jams? Etc and etc, "go home" and don't talk to me about it, because I am powerless to do anything about it.

The person saying "go home" but instead of doing something about it, they would rather you shut up, because you are making then feel guilty for doing nothing about it.

Good idea! I am going to take up guitar lessons and buy a Ten Gallon Hat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHAFmFsb9XM

OP, unless you have a Thai passport, how are you NOT a guest in Thailand ? The very fact that you need a Work Permit and a visa simply to call Thailand 'home' should tell you something. I don't see anything derogatory in the term 'guest' - as long as its not preceded by 'uninvited'.....

You're living the dream - what does it matter what someone on an internet forum types from their room at the rehab center ? ;)

• Like 1

Good idea! I am going to take up guitar lessons and buy a Ten Gallon Hat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHAFmFsb9XM

Well I like the tune. Issue is that so often the issues are indefensible.

Prostitution? Not really defensible? Corruption? Not really defensible.

If you don't like it, go home...

It's just a lame cop out

I agree with the OP that “You’re only a guest here. If you don’t like it, leave.” is an unfortunate choice of words but the underlying sentiment still stands; why waste your breath complaining about things you can't change? The only reason people use that phrase is when they encounter others who bitch, whine and moan. Quit complaining and you won't hear it anymore. Simple.

While I agree with the majority of your post, the glaring thing remains. Thailand has its faults and it has heaps of them. If nobody whinged about them, then we wouldn't really have a lot to talk about.

Just go through the threads on the general discussion section and you will see that most are actually griping. There are not many threads based on the positives.

If you think these are just unfounded moans... then take a trip to the ;Thailand news' section.... all the threads are factual based (or meant to be)... You will see the negativity increase by a huge margin.

Agreed, Some might believe they are guests if they intend to move away at some point, or if for example they live in Austrailia and have no intention of living here, but I nor my wife believes that applies to me. I have invested a chunk of change in property and I pay my taxes. I contribute to the local community every day. I have a Thai/Brit son I will apply for Citizenship in due course.

Edited by iancnx
  • Like 1

OP, unless you have a Thai passport, how are you NOT a guest in Thailand ? The very fact that you need a Work Permit and a visa simply to call Thailand 'home' should tell you something. I don't see anything derogatory in the term 'guest' - as long as its not preceded by 'uninvited'.....

You're living the dream - what does it matter what someone on an internet forum types from their room at the rehab center ? ;)

Another irrelevant post!

Agreed, Some might believe they are guests if they intend to move away at some point, or if for example they live in Austrailia and have no intention of living here, but I nor my wife believes that applies to me. I have invested a chunk of change in property and I pay my taxes. I contribute to the local community every day. I have a Thai/Brit son I will apply for Citizenship in due course.

+1

So long as we conform with all the legal Thai criteria to be able to make this either our permanent or long term home and we pay for the privilege into the Thai economy in order to call this place our home, and we treat it as our home, then this place is considered home to us... You can't be a guest in your own home can you?

So when things adversely affect our home life, we have a right to gripe and moan about it.

The thing that pushes my buttons is when idiots say 'If you don't like it.... then go home'... Erm... We ARE home! It's a lot like saying you can never stray from the city or town of your birth and then complain about negative factors that surround your immediate existence. I moved from Newcastle, UK at the age of 20 to Oxfordshire where i lived a further 20 years.... Would you say I have no right to complain about Oxfordshire? Even though I pay my tax there, own property there and was raising a family there who were all born in Oxfordshire...Or should I go home to Newcastle where I have the only entitlement to moan??

Edited by klubex99
  • Like 1

If a foreigner living in my country chooses to complains too much and compares countries by saying everything is better at home, guess what.....we Kiwis would be lining up to tell that foreigner to Fark off, and stay Farked off. In fact we do it quite often, usually to Australians (sorry - joke).

But the really cool thing is when a foreigner from Country A living in NZ complains to a Foreigner from Country B, and the B foreigner tells the A foreigner that if you don't like it here, Fark off and stay there. They know what side of their toast is buttered.

Not really different to Farang in Thailand. None of us are Thai, we're all guests here (pedants with "guest" phobia excluded, naturally), so I feel quite justified in telling Farang to Fark off if they don't like it here.

I'd never do that to a fellow TV member though - rather pointless on an anonymous forum. I do however take great pleasure in talking to whingers face to face and explaining how much better they would feel if they were to return home, or at least get their whinging arse well away from me. coffee1.gif

I'm sure you are aware that a lot of westerns (UK, Europe, US, Canadians) have a great deal of difficulty distinguishing between Kiwis and Ozzies.

Actually, its not that difficult - First chance they get, they both go walk-about.... but the Ozzies are the one's who eventually go back home.

As this topic is in violation of these forum rules:

3) Not to post in a manner that is vulgar, obscene or profane.

4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Closed