Where to find 50-baht meal in Pattaya ?

thairookie

Problem is these B40/50 meals only fill you for an a while, they are just a snack for me between meals. Expensive way to eat for a farang

It must depend on what you buy, and where. If I get my regular bowl of noodles for 50B and a rice dish for 35B as a takeaway for the evening that does me for the entire day, with a few cups of tea and some fruit. And I am fairly overweight.

Some Thai dishes from other vendors can be a bit on the light side though (there's a duck place in Rompo that does what must be the smallest bowl of noodles in the world), in which case you can just have three or four per day. It's still only going to cost 100B-150B, and you would be hard put to find 2 decent farang meals here for that price. In fact you would be hard put to find one for that price.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is Tukcom ?

And what about 50 baht meal in an aircon environment ? Is that too much to expect ?

Tukcom is here: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=pattaya,+tukcom&hl=en&ll=12.924093,100.878777&spn=0.003315,0.005761&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=46.226656,94.394531&t=h&hq=tukcom&hnear=Pattaya,+Chon+Buri,+Thailand&z=18&layer=c&cbll=12.924085,100.87888&panoid=3NmuM5veXQTm-i0Wq39o6Q&cbp=12,217.48,,0,-16.99

You can go to the "Food Park" at BigC Extra (first floor) if you're looking for an air-conditioned environment.

Try the food court in the basement at Tukcom, they have a feeble excuse for air-con. Should get something for 50 baht there, unless your expecting two courses and a large Sing for your money.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I went there - Tukcom - Friday and half the stalls were closed. My regular Pad Thai guy no longer sells it.

Where is Tukcom ?

And what about 50 baht meal in an aircon environment ? Is that too much to expect ?

Many 7-11's have soup stands in front, about 35 baht for a nice bowl. Sit near the sliding door, you can get pretty good air/con with all the people going in and out. ;)

This is my benchmark for price of food in Thailand.

Looks really tasty and reasonable price too.

Notice how some suggest you keep the tin cup to collect change? I sometimes wonder why people put down people who like street food. Do you know, thairookie?

• Like 1

Notice how some suggest you keep the tin cup to collect change? I sometimes wonder why people put down people who like street food. Do you know, thairookie?

Probably something to do with being pretentious

Street food is good if you choose carefully.

The other day, I pulled up to a donner kabab stand and the guy was picking away at his ingrown toenail.

Yuk.

Problem is these B40/50 meals only fill you for an a while, they are just a snack for me between meals. Expensive way to eat for a farang

It must depend on what you buy, and where. If I get my regular bowl of noodles for 50B and a rice dish for 35B as a takeaway for the evening that does me for the entire day, with a few cups of tea and some fruit. And I am fairly overweight.

Some Thai dishes from other vendors can be a bit on the light side though (there's a duck place in Rompo that does what must be the smallest bowl of noodles in the world), in which case you can just have three or four per day. It's still only going to cost 100B-150B, and you would be hard put to find 2 decent farang meals here for that price. In fact you would be hard put to find one for that price.

3 or 4 bowls of noodles a day? Now that is a bit of me..

It's very tasty without your usual Ajinomoto (sodium gluconate) to spice up the dishes. And we're talking about a shop in Bangkok along New Petchaburi Road. Another 10 baht to double the portion of the noodles too!

I believe most people in this forum come from affluent countries, and perhaps, to many of those, the food prices in Thailand are already very cheap. So my example may appear to be scrapping the barrel cheesy.gif

But I'm inclined to believe that most of the comments which may appear to be "putting down people who like street food" are part and parcel of playful banter in a forum.thumbsup.gif

Edited by thairookie

Food Courts at any Tesco or Big C for meal under 50 baht & AC. There's a lot more places for 50 but not with AC. Are you refined to an area?

I'm more keen on shops patronised by the Thais. In fact, I'm looking out for hygiene more than air yen yen.

Another place is on the corner of Sukhumvit & Theppasit. It's by the Outlet Mall/Tesco. I don't know how many dishes are less than 50 baht -- but it's worth a shot.

It's very tasty without your usual Ajinomoto (sodium gluconate) to spice up the dishes. And we're talking about a shop in Bangkok along New Petchaburi Road. Another 10 baht to double the portion of the noodles too!

I believe most people in this forum come from affluent countries, and perhaps, to many of those, the food prices in Thailand are already very cheap. So my example may appear to be scrapping the barrel cheesy.gif

But I'm inclined to believe that most of the comments which may appear to be "putting down people who like street food" are part and parcel of playful banter in a forum.thumbsup.gif

The problem with most of the 50 baht meals is that food quality, cooking methods, ingredtients ect are mostly not healthy at all.

We have a good gai yang khao now in our soi for 50baht but most of the other stuff they sell in those plastic bags i have no idea what is in them nor do i want to find out.

Tipps has quite a few dishes for around 50 baht but they are more a snack than a meal but they are tasty .

I don't know if I'm jumping the gun here but I think if one is trying to find a meal (in an AC fitted place?) for 50 bhat then it's time to go home.

Yes, you are jumping it

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I often go shopping in Tesco Lotus on North Pattaya Rd. then eat in the food court inside. Many to choose under 50 baht, like Kao Mum Gai (40 B), rice with pork (40 B)etc. And there is also free drinking water. All big super markets have food court, but not all have free drinking water.

In fact, I like eating in food court. Cool, convenient and clean .

I don't know if I'm jumping the gun here but I think if one is trying to find a meal (in an AC fitted place?) for 50 bhat then it's time to go home.

So a pensioner on a tight budget should go home so he could afford to live on a park bench and eat out of dumpsters?

Is that what you are suggesting?

I spend way too much on food so this thread is interesting to me.

I could save a few thousand a month eating a 50bt lunch more often.

Food Courts at any Tesco or Big C for meal under 50 baht & AC. There's a lot more places for 50 but not with AC. Are you refined to an area?

I'm more keen on shops patronised by the Thais. In fact, I'm looking out for hygiene more than air yen yen.

Another place is on the corner of Sukhumvit & Theppasit. It's by the Outlet Mall/Tesco. I don't know how many dishes are less than 50 baht -- but it's worth a shot.

Yes. On Theprasit next to the outlet mall. One of my favorites.

It's called, Mai Sri Ruen.

Great Thai menu and they have their special recipe, spicy chicken soup w crushed peanuts. Nice.

Large restaurant and kept spotless with tip top service too.

Had stir fried noodles the other day w/ chicken and bottled water for 75bt.

Portions Thai size. If you are real hungry you may want to order two items.

The place is packed full at lunchtime, 95% Thai customers and weekends you might wait for a table.

The other branch is on Pattaya Klang.

Great Thai menu and they have their special recipe, spicy chicken soup w crushed peanuts. Nice.

The place is packed full at lunchtime, 95% Thai customers and weekends you might wait for a table.

Any pictures ??

Where tofind 50-baht meal in Pattaya ?

I guess you are taking your Hi So Rich Chinese's wife and her family out to eat. You are a sport

Another arrogant, narrow-minded, ignorant but big mouth frog from the bottom of the well !

Really speechless... Sounds like he is from another planet or middle age.

• Like 1

Any pictures ??

Pattaya Klang branch.

post-188943-0-14479900-1381967513_thumb.

Mai Sri Ruen Jomtien Theprasit.

post-188943-0-32978600-1381967589_thumb.

I have been here nearly 16 years and lots of things have gone up faster than my income.

I remember 10 baht noodles across from the Wat in Nakula now 40 and IMF in Nakula 25 to 100 baht now 50 to 200.

Food courts in Bangkok are really very good and cheaper than Pattaya. Back behind Bumungrad hospital, where the staff eats there must be 25 choices. MBK has great food court and the Japanese Department store next to it. Up from the US Embassy are a number of great food places very cheap and good.

Just returned from a stay in Florida, did not eat in any chain restaurant, only local places seafood shrimp and grits, crab-cakes, for $8 and too much to eat. Spanish meals, $7 to $10 and take home, Italian love cold pizza, steak $5.99. Chinese and German along with local buffets of all you can, but should not, eat. $4.99 up.

Compare that to the same local places in Pattaya and I found the prices nearly identical, Italian for 250 baht $8, German same, Chinese (not real american Chinese) same,

In Pattaya you can get breakfast for $2 to $5 dollars and can do the same in the USA.

So what I have seen is that the prices in the USA have increased in price much more slowly than in Thailand.

Really nice peaches, tomatoes, corn, peppers are about 120 to 150 per kilo grade 1 in the USA, and grade 2 or lower here is the same or more expensive.

Gas was 12 baht a liter $1 per gallon vs $2 in the states when I got here and now gas is $4.87 a gallon here and $3.29 in the USA.

Thailand has increased taxes on imported products faster than the USA.

Cheaper here is Minor health care and repair services.

However I used to hire a guy to fix the roof, or do some electrical work for 300 to 500 baht for a few hours of work, now it is 1000 or 1500 for the same job.

I buy clothing now in the USA and bring it here, cheaper and better quality, I used to do the reverse, buy here and bring back. An Arrow shirt here is $50 and I can get one in the states for $15 to $20.

PGA golf clothing is $50 to $75 here and $20 to $30 back in the States.

I bought a Honda Civic here for 950.000 baht and could buy the identical car in New Jersey for Half that price. The roads are better.

If we had Soi 6 in the states and a more positive attitude towards older people I would be back there in a flash. But I find all the wonderful qualities a bit boring back home where all is so well organized and straightforward. Here everyday does not turn out as I expected. Many times better than I was expecting.

The Thai government supports business, Taxes, and Exports and does not support the population very well, consider the lack of consumer protection laws......

Don't bitch about this, I am talking about the change in costs, and I know that Thailand is still cheaper than much of Europe, but then I think Europe is too expensive also....

• Like 1

Move to Cambodia instead. Almost everything is cheaper there than Thailand.

Western food for 3-4 dollars in PP

Local beer in bars from 50 cent.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app