Help! Denied Tourist Visa in Thai embassy in Singapore

Today I was denied a Tourist visa at the Thai embassy in Singapore because they said I am not allowed to stay in Thailand for more than 90 days within a 6 months period. During 2013 I have stayed in Thailand close to 5 months, basically I had two 30 days visa on arrival, went back home to Sweden for 2 months and then I got a Thai Tourist visa (stayed 90 days) which just expired. Heres what happened:

Her: You have stayed in Thailand a lot recenty, are you a tourist?

Me: Yes

Her: Ok, I will deny you a Tourist Visa because you are not allowed to stay in Thailand for more than 90 days within a 6 months period. You will have to wait for around 2-3 months before you can apply for a Tourist Visa again.

Me: So my only option to get back to Thailand is to wait? My friends have stayed in Thailand for years by getting Tourist visa after Tourist visa with no problem.

Her: You could fly to BKK and hope that the immigration will give you a 30 days visa on arrival, but they should deny you, but maybe you get lucky. And your friends obviously got lucky too, maybe the Thai embassy where they applied didnt look closely when they applied for their visas.

Just to clarify. Theres nothing shady or strange about me. I am very polite, had a professional application and look like a decent man.

This really sucks, because I have a Thai girlfriend and an apartment full of stuff in Bangkok. So I really need to go back to Thailand. Worth mentioning is that I do not work there so I cant get a working visa.

What can I do? Will other Thai embassies in other countries also deny me a Tourist visa? Is this common and is she speaking the truth?

Thanks in advance!

/Hansen

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai embassy in Singapore is the most difficult embassy (aside from the India embassy) I have ever dealt with. As others have said, go to Cambodia or Laos. Not sure if Penang is still a good option, seem to recall something against going there recently.

Well, I bet this thread will attract those who are jumping all hula hoops and feel superior standing in the pinnacle of righteousness.

I feel that Thailand deserves to see that tourists and others may have other choices...I've been here 12 years with various visas (probably tried every and each one besides the religious one) and now tired of all the bullshit that one has to take every day, from month to month, from year to year. Living among corruption, inadequacy and questionable practices has finally caught up with me. I don't want loose my integrity and moral values being part of disgrace what goes for public service in Thailand.

So, after all I have been through, I am selling everything and relocating to good old Europe. You standing on the pinnacle can keep all this to yourselves. Hope you will feel happy in the lovely polluted winds up there.

• Like 2

If you have an apartment in Bangkok and have spent 5 Months there you are hardly a tourist. Try that in any western country with tourist visa rules and you would be denied also. my country , Australia, come to mind. 90 day tourist visa for you , no problem. leave the country for a day or so and re-apply, no way you will get another one.

All these ways of staying in Thailand without actually having the right visa annoy the hell out of me i.e. ED visa with no intention of actually studying. If you do not have the correct requirements for a long term visa i.e. retirement with suitable funds. married to a Thai with suitable funds or working here legitimately then you don't belong here other than for a genuine holiday. I have lived in Thailand for 6 years and work here. I never have a problem renewing my yearly visa as I submit the correct paperwork and meet the requirements.

If you don't have the funds or the meet Thailand's visa requirements legally then you should not be here as people trying on all these scams to stay here just make life more difficult for foreigners that live here legally.

and what visa do you get if your 45 ( under 50),, sold nyour business, very well off and retired,,,, sense you seem to know everything about everyone else.

a tourist visa. I think thailand still offers an investment visa as well if you want to stay longer.

Edited by AYJAYDEE

If you have an apartment in Bangkok and have spent 5 Months there you are hardly a tourist. Try that in any western country with tourist visa rules and you would be denied also. my country , Australia, come to mind. 90 day tourist visa for you , no problem. leave the country for a day or so and re-apply, no way you will get another one.

All these ways of staying in Thailand without actually having the right visa annoy the hell out of me i.e. ED visa with no intention of actually studying. If you do not have the correct requirements for a long term visa i.e. retirement with suitable funds. married to a Thai with suitable funds or working here legitimately then you don't belong here other than for a genuine holiday. I have lived in Thailand for 6 years and work here. I never have a problem renewing my yearly visa as I submit the correct paperwork and meet the requirements.

If you don't have the funds or the meet Thailand's visa requirements legally then you should not be here as people trying on all these scams to stay here just make life more difficult for foreigners that live here legally.

Oh do settle petal,

If the guy has cash to finance living without working then I would call him a full-time tourist, where do you see a problem with that.

does your home country offer a full time tourist visa for foreigners??

• Like 2

and what visa do you get if your 45 ( under 50),, sold nyour business, very well off and retired,,,, sense you seem to know everything about everyone else.

Extract from the Thai immigration web site. It's easy if you look. I googled this answer in 2 minutes.

20. Question : Could the alien (about 35 year of age) stay in Thailand without working or marriage to Thai national? If so, what are the requirements? Answer : Yes. The said alien could stay in the Kingdom by the reason of investment of no less than 10 million Baht in Thailand. The requirements are that the alien:
  1. Must have been granted a “Non-Immigrant visa”
  2. Must have evidence of transferring funds into Thailand of no less than 10 million Baht. (Copy of evidence showing a tranfer of funds from a foregin country to a bank in Thailand)
  3. Must have evidence of investing in the purchase or rental of a condominium unit for a period of no less than 3 year issued by a relevant agency or government unit, at a purchase or rental price of no less than 10 million Baht (Copy of condominium purchase agreement and copy of the ownership registration of the said condominium issued by government or relevant agency or a copy of a long-term lease agreement are needed documents): or
  4. Must have evidence of investing in the form of a fixed deposit of no less than 10 million Baht with the Bank which is registered in Thailand and has Thai national holding more than 50 percent of it’s shares (Funds deposit certificate issued by the bank and a copy of evidence of funds deposit are required documents) : or
  5. Must have evidence in the purchase of government or state enterprise bonds of no less than 10 million Baht ( copies of bond certificates are needed documents) : or
  6. Must have evidences of making an investment as set out in Criteria3),4 or 5) with a total value of not less than 10 million Baht.

thats what I thought!

Thailand has no problem with somebody being a full time tourist here. What they do not want are those that are here on tourist visas or visa exempt entries that are working.

The best way to insure you will not have a problem getting more visas is to open a Thai bank and transfer funds in for your living expenses to it. Then when applying for a visa attach a copy of your bank book pages showing those transfers and attach it to your application.

The best way is to start out is with a 3 entry tourist visa from your home country then get for a 2 entry in Laos and then make a trip home for another 3 entry and repeat the cycle. This would give you almost 15 months without doing the trip home.

Or if not a trip home making a trip further away for your visa would help. A 3 entry can be obtained in Bali by showing one ticket out of Thailand.

Actually, my (Indonesian) girlfriend was in Australia with me on a 90 day tourist visa. That expired so we went to Jakarta and they gave her a 12 month multi-entry tourist visa (gave her 15 months in total). That then expired so we went back to Jakarta and applied for another 90 day tourist visa and they gave her a multi entry tourist visa with last entry date October 2016.

Now, we are renting an apartment and have a car, she has as many clothes here as she has in our house in Indo (we live in a special economic zone in Indo where foreigners can own land and house) so I would hardly call her a tourist, but the Australian Government do.

post-5463-0-37922000-1381813280_thumb.jp

Easy for you. I'm retired and too young for retirement visa. I have more than the monetary requirements and regular income. So what's a guy in THAT situation to do?

I'm 34 this year and am living in thailand with a non-immigrant O visa (thai spouse).

Didn't have that much issues with applying for it. Just have the correct paperwork will do.

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/consular-visa-matters/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa-o-a-long-stay

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/consular-visa-matters/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa-o-thai-spouse

Hope it helps.

Go back to BKK, get a 30 day visa exf. at the airport then concider another country. Savannakhet in Laos should be a good option to get a tourist visa with a reentry. But shop around a little as these things changes sometimes..... Lykke til!

Edited by Mangkhut
  • Like 1