Help! Denied Tourist Visa in Thai embassy in Singapore

My partner has traveled to over 60 countries, including all of Western Europe, on a Thai passport. Self-employed. Never been turned down for a visa. Not even once.

US (ten years), UK, Schengen, Israel, Japan (when visas were necessary)...

Never a question.

Yes, but I think the Thai government should push harder to get visa free travel for their citizens. You never hear of them doing this, probably because they don't trust their own people and the big shots get diplomatic passports and/or have foreign passports. Japan's initiative was their own idea to generate more tourist income from SE Asia, not just Thailand. The negotiations with China seem to be more about the Thai government wanting to get even more Chinese tourists, rather than pushing for rights for Thais. The same thing happened with Russia as Thailand wanted more Russian tourists and Thais got visa free travel to Russia as an after thought. Even if you qualify comfortably for the visas, having to fill in all the forms go through the process and sometimes get insulted by Thai staff with inadequacy complexes at European embassies sucks. I note the UK is going to ease visa restrictions for Chinese tourists because they currently make it so troublesome compared to Schengen visas that France is getting 10 times the number of Chinese tourists as Britain. Not a murmur from the Thai Foreign Ministry asking to be considered for similar treatment.

• Like 1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My partner has traveled to over 60 countries, including all of Western Europe, on a Thai passport. Self-employed. Never been turned down for a visa. Not even once.

Never a question.

Yes, but I think the Thai government should push harder to get visa free travel for their citizens. You never hear of them doing this, probably because they don't trust their own people and the big shots get diplomatic passports. Japan's initiative was their own idea to generate more tourist income from SE Asia, not just Thailand. The negotiations with China seem to be more about the Thai government wanting to get even more Chinese tourists, rather than pushing for rights for Thais. The same thing happened with Russia as Thailand wanted more Russian tourists and Thais got visa free travel to Russia as an after thought. Even if you qualify for the visas, having to fill in all the forms, pay and apply sucks.

No one likes applying for visas. But the small inconvenience pales in comparison to the hoops people have to go through to try to stay and work legally in a place where you're a foreigner -- whether it's Thailand or anywhere else.

I go to Europe once, maybe twice a year with my partner. Applying for a visa isn't fun, but it's not really a burden unless you're traveling every other week.

Regardless -- no one has to give up their original passport to become a naturalized Thai. As stated, there's now a required "intention". That said, I've "intended" to go to the gym and get in shape for the past 30 years, but I've never gotten around to that, either. Not a big deal, unless you imagine that you've never told a little white lie in your whole life.

Edited by NewlyMintedThai

It's just a passport. It's not something holy.

It's a practical solution to living and doing business freely in your chosen location, with the identical, full rights as a native.

You have thousands of pages on this website of people trying to solve the problems of living as a foreigner in Thailand.

Assuming you want to live here permanently, I think you'd have to have your head examined not to want to be free of those handicaps and hassles.

You hit the nail on the head "Living here permanently". A lot of us do not intend to live here permanently but are just here for work or business even though that might stretch to a number of years, so Thai Citizenship is of no use or interest to us. I don't know anything about the process for getting citizenship but from what I read it is no longer an easy process. Can't you also apply for permanent residency? Is that easier?

In my opinion, the current visa system provides sufficient options for most people that want to stay long term whether it be for work or retirement. Immigration is getting tougher on all visas even for business. We are now required to provide a detailed Hospital medical certificate including tests for syphilis and quite a few other exotic diseases. To renew my visa the paperwork now runs to about a hundred pages of personal and company information. However it is still a simple process to submit all this paperwork and as long as it is in order you will get your visa, just follow the rules.

It's a practical solution to living and doing business freely in your chosen location, with the identical, full rights as a native.

You have thousands of pages on this website of people trying to solve the problems of living as a foreigner in Thailand.

Assuming you want to live here permanently, I think you'd have to have your head examined not to want to be free of those handicaps and hassles.

You hit the nail on the head "Living here permanently". A lot of us do not intend to live here permanently but are just here for work or business even though that might stretch to a number of years, so Thai Citizenship is of no use or interest to us. I don't know anything about the process for getting citizenship but from what I read it is no longer an easy process. Can't you also apply for permanent residency? Is that easier?

In my opinion, the current visa system provides sufficient options for most people that want to stay long term whether it be for work or retirement. Immigration is getting tougher on all visas even for business. We are now required to provide a detailed Hospital medical certificate including tests for syphilis and quite a few other exotic diseases. To renew my visa the paperwork now runs to about a hundred pages of personal and company information. However it is still a simple process to submit all this paperwork and as long as it is in order you will get your visa, just follow the rules.

To have an opinion based on observations and experiences are good. But please stay away from gloating.

Of course one might also say, if you want to live here permanently, you ought to have your head examined.

• Like 2

Of course one might also say, if you want to live here permanently, you ought to have your head examined.

Ah... but wouldn't it be a boring life without the many and varied frustrations that living in Thailand provides for us. At least it keeps your brain active , but probably not so good for your blood pressure. Just keep smiling!

If you have an apartment in Bangkok and have spent 5 Months there you are hardly a tourist. Try that in any western country with tourist visa rules and you would be denied also. my country , Australia, come to mind. 90 day tourist visa for you , no problem. leave the country for a day or so and re-apply, no way you will get another one.

All these ways of staying in Thailand without actually having the right visa annoy the hell out of me i.e. ED visa with no intention of actually studying. If you do not have the correct requirements for a long term visa i.e. retirement with suitable funds. married to a Thai with suitable funds or working here legitimately then you don't belong here other than for a genuine holiday. I have lived in Thailand for 6 years and work here. I never have a problem renewing my yearly visa as I submit the correct paperwork and meet the requirements.

If you don't have the funds or the meet Thailand's visa requirements legally then you should not be here as people trying on all these scams to stay here just make life more difficult for foreigners that live here legally.

Applying for a visa is not a scam.

And what do you care what other people do anyway? I know it sucks to be you but how exactly does it make life more difficult for you and other foreigners living "legally"?

The OP requested a tourist visa. Whether he spends 3 days in Thailand or 300 days, as long as he is not breaking the law then who cares?

If it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy then you can just keep on thinking that somehow you are better than him.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 2

Never a question.

Yes, but I think the Thai government should push harder to get visa free travel for their citizens. You never hear of them doing this, probably because they don't trust their own people and the big shots get diplomatic passports. Japan's initiative was their own idea to generate more tourist income from SE Asia, not just Thailand. The negotiations with China seem to be more about the Thai government wanting to get even more Chinese tourists, rather than pushing for rights for Thais. The same thing happened with Russia as Thailand wanted more Russian tourists and Thais got visa free travel to Russia as an after thought. Even if you qualify for the visas, having to fill in all the forms, pay and apply sucks.

No one likes applying for visas. But the small inconvenience pales in comparison to the hoops people have to go through to try to stay and work legally in a place where you're a foreigner -- whether it's Thailand or anywhere else.

I go to Europe once, maybe twice a year with my partner. Applying for a visa isn't fun, but it's not really a burden unless you're traveling every other week.

Regardless -- no one has to give up their original passport to become a naturalized Thai. As stated, there's now a required "intention". That said, I've "intended" to go to the gym and get in shape for the past 30 years, but I've never gotten around to that, either. Not a big deal, unless you imagine that you've never told a little white lie in your whole life.

White lies are now officially OK in Thailand. The Office of the Ombudsman spent over a year investigating whether Finance Minister Kittirat Na Ranong had committed any ethical wrongdoing by deliberately lying to the public about the prospects for export growth. Mr Kittirat described this type of deliberate disception as "white" lies, despite the fact that withholding such important economic information could cause substantial financial losses to business. After its lengthy deliberations the Office of the Ombudsman concluded that this form of dishonesty was perfectly ethical.

Ah... but wouldn't it be a boring life without the many and varied frustrations that living in Thailand provides for us. At least it keeps your brain active , but probably not so good for your blood pressure. Just keep smiling!

I had some interesting experiences applying for NON-B visas, notably when I was forced to pay tax on the time I had spent in Thailand on transit visas the previous year before Immigration would grant my first NON-B extension. However, in my experiences applying for permanent residence and citizenship in Thailand have been far more interesting and challenging. First of all I was told I was not qualified for PR because of my employers status as an overseas company and had to spend a few weeks running around collecting testimonials from all the pu yai I could get access to. Finally, just when I had already given up all hope I got a call from Immigration asking me to come and get finger printed for my residence book. My citizenship application has been even more challenging. First of all I had to get nationalities for my parents, who had been wrongly described as stateless in my tabien baan. Then I had to change my own nationality from angrit to britis in all documents. Then my application was sent back to the police 2.5 years after application for them to correct a stupid error they had insisted in making against my advice, resulting in my having to get another round of employment certification and notarised tax receipts. Then the interview and singing at the Interior Ministry. It is all very sanook and can be recommended for those ready to move to the next level up in brain activity but does require a great deal of patience and determination.

One serious point I would make though is that anyone who thinks they might be interested in either of these things should not delay because everything gets more difficult and takes longer My PR was processed in 11 months, despite my difficulties, which was standard in those days but now this can take up to 6 years. There was no Thai language requirement for PR then and you do could all interviews through an interpreter. Now you have to do a panel interview in Thai with senior government officials, just like for citizenship. Also all the docs for my PR application was just certified by me and no police record from home was required. Now you need a home country police clearance and all docs need to be appropriately notarised, including having to get your company's financial statement copies notarised by the auditor in person. Newly Minted Thai was lucky in getting his citizenship in only 3 years not so long ago. More recent applicants are lucky to just to get to the MoI interview stage in 3 years and some are waiting 5 years for that and still need to wait for the miinister's signature and the King's countersignature (probably the most efficient link in the chain). A friend who got his citizenship 20 years told me it was a very long drawn out process but when I asked him to be more specific it turned out that it took him only 1.5 years from beginning to end which was the norm in those days.

• Like 1

I was under the impression that the large majority of people on the forum lived here permanently.

• Like 1

Permanency as a state-of-mind and permanency as a legal status are 2 different entities.

I am here 'permanently' until situations prove otherwise whether of my own volition or by some act of the Kingdom:

As attributed to John Maynard Keynes: When events change, I change my mind. What do you do?

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

If you have an apartment in Bangkok and have spent 5 Months there you are hardly a tourist. Try that in any western country with tourist visa rules and you would be denied also. my country , Australia, come to mind. 90 day tourist visa for you , no problem. leave the country for a day or so and re-apply, no way you will get another one.

All these ways of staying in Thailand without actually having the right visa annoy the hell out of me i.e. ED visa with no intention of actually studying. If you do not have the correct requirements for a long term visa i.e. retirement with suitable funds. married to a Thai with suitable funds or working here legitimately then you don't belong here other than for a genuine holiday. I have lived in Thailand for 6 years and work here. I never have a problem renewing my yearly visa as I submit the correct paperwork and meet the requirements.

If you don't have the funds or the meet Thailand's visa requirements legally then you should not be here as people trying on all these scams to stay here just make life more difficult for foreigners that live here legally.

Applying for a visa is not a scam.

And what do you care what other people do anyway? I know it sucks to be you but how exactly does it make life more difficult for you and other foreigners living "legally"?

The OP requested a tourist visa. Whether he spends 3 days in Thailand or 300 days, as long as he is not breaking the law then who cares?

If it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy then you can just keep on thinking that somehow you are better than him.

None of this makes me feel better than anyone. This is a discussion about what is legal and what is not in the eyes of Thai Immigration. I was just stating that a tourist visa is just that and as this their country they every right to impose whatever restrictions they want on issuing visas whether you agree with them or not. As long as someone can legally meet these requirements they should be eligible for a visa. Neither myself or any other foreigner has the right to live in Thailand.

As for making life difficult for foreigners living here with valid visas, yes the actions of foreigners here rorting the system does make life more difficult for us as the more Thai immigration sees of this type of behaviour the more cynical and hard to deal with they become with the result that they instigate even tougher regulations and checks for all visa classes. I really sympathise with foreigners that are retired here as the visa regulations and the number "hoops" they have to jump through appear to get more difficult every year. I have elderly friends in the area that I live that are retired here and the annual visa process causes them a great deal of anxiety and stress as they have homes and an established life here.

I was under the impression that the large majority of people on the forum lived here permanently.

Many do and have been taking care of ''Thai'' families for years, BUT Thai authorities seem to want to make problems for these and there own folk. Just leave them alone to just get on with their lives with all the problems family life has to deal with. These farang Thai families do not claim a single baht from the Thai government, so what is their problem. Pisses me off when I know of Thai folk in the UK living solely on benefits that they never paid a penny to fund. bah.gif

• Like 2

What a bunch of BS. Senior member??? Well you are definitely a member, but of a different kind. People all around the world do the exact same thing, from travelers in North America bouncing between Canada, USA and Mexico to keep their tourist visa alive, to your beloved Aussis spending weekends in Amsterdam every few months ,, ah hem, enjoying the tulip gardens, to extend their stay in the UK. In Australia all you have to do is go to immigration and show them A$1,000 per month you wish to extend for up to 3 months. They will do that twice and then you have to go to N.Z. for a week and get a new approval for entry online. By the way, getting a tourist visa is completely legal for him as he stated, he doesn't work here. So maybe you should stop hitting the lager so hard it befuddles your senses and try to give some helpful and actionable advice with you''six years'' (my aren't you old school) of experience in Thailand.

• Like 1

Blah, blah, blah about other countries and other nationalities... So maybe you should stop hitting the lager so hard it befuddles your senses and try to give some helpful and actionable advice with you''six years'' (my aren't you old school) of experience in Thailand.

But ALL the helpful and actionable advice has been given already.

There's a finite amount of Thai visa classes and a very definitive explanation of who legally qualifies for what visa.

The procedures and fees are published. The limitations of certain Thai Consular abilities in certain jurisdictions are known.

There's no 'silver bullet' here. No one-size fits-all, generic, farang-sized Thai Immigration loop hole waiting to be revealed that we can all jump through just because we chose not to go home, or not get married, or we retired early, or work on the internet, or apply for residence or invest in recognized programs.

Please learn to deal with it.

What a bunch of BS. Senior member??? Well you are definitely a member, but of a different kind. People all around the world do the exact same thing, from travelers in North America bouncing between Canada, USA and Mexico to keep their tourist visa alive, to your beloved Aussis spending weekends in Amsterdam every few months ,, ah hem, enjoying the tulip gardens, to extend their stay in the UK. In Australia all you have to do is go to immigration and show them A$1,000 per month you wish to extend for up to 3 months. They will do that twice and then you have to go to N.Z. for a week and get a new approval for entry online. By the way, getting a tourist visa is completely legal for him as he stated, he doesn't work here. So maybe you should stop hitting the lager so hard it befuddles your senses and try to give some helpful and actionable advice with you''six years'' (my aren't you old school) of experience in Thailand.

Interesting reply, even if this topic has pretty much run its course. Your basic '' racial stereotyping'' form of insult, lager??? (I don't actually drink beer) makes an interesting change from some of the clever sarcastic comments that I and probably most TV members prefer to read. By the way, this topic is about Thai Visas and Thailand. You appear to have mentioned every other country but Thailand in your post.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I applied before the affidavit was required, in 2007.

So you got lucky because you have been approved just before the queue stalled on the wishes of Buddha knows which politician or bureocrat, and got away without a crucial current requirement. Good for you.

While the rest of you were complaining about border runs and work permits and the immigration merry-go-round, I was taking care if business.

Maybe these people they were happier living their lives without no pre-set business goals..

Anyway, what's fibbing about an "intention" that you never end up getting around to, versus lying about being a tourist for twenty years

A big difference in my book, for me to state that I'm renouncing who I am, would take a lot more than citizenship.in a corrupt developing country.

For sure your nickname says it all on what achievements you value in life.

Remember, you can be legally Thai, but you will be falang in facts, forever.

Enjoy the merry-go-round then.

My home country's passport (USA) offers me exactly nothing. I would have no problem dropping it if I had to.

Unless you are a dirt farmer or a prostitute, there is no country in the world one cannot travel on a Thai passport.

Not actually true.Thailand citizens need visas to most countries and securing them isn't always easy or convenient.I am regularly asked to provide sponsorship letters for foreign embassies on behalf of Thai friends and business contacts.Mostly their applications are succesful but the bureaucratic procedures can sometimes be a pain, and occasionally there is a puzzling rejection.In contrast a US passport is extremely useful - far far more than a Thai passport.Presumably that's why it is coveted by millions and millions of people all over the world.I have no issue with foreigners taking pride in their Thai residential/citizen status (I take pride in it myself) but the suggestion that a US passport is worthless leaves a sour ungrateful taste on top of the reality that the statement is nonsense.

• Like 2

OK, I'll revise my statement.

For people like me and for my partner, ie people well into middle age, with established businesses, properties, significant cash, and a record of decades of lawful travel all over the world...there is absolutely no problem getting a visitor's visa on a Thai passport to any country in the world.

So, for ME, I do not expect that traveling on a Thai passport would present any difficulties whatsoever.

This is my personal experience. As stated, my partner has never been refused a visa or even questioned, and has been to 60 countries.

Your mileage may vary.

For people like me and for my partner, ie people well into middle age, with established businesses, properties, significant cash, and a record of decades of lawful travel all over the world...there is absolutely no problem getting a visitor's visa on a Thai passport to any country in the world.

So, for ME, I do not expect that traveling on a Thai passport would present any difficulties whatsoever.

This is my personal experience. As stated, my partner has never been refused a visa or even questioned, and has been to 60 countries.

Your mileage may vary.

There's nothing wrong with a Thai passport but it necessitates acquiring visas for many countries that do not require visas from citizens of the US.Therefore in terms of simple convenience a US passport is by definition more useful.Your personal circumstances are neither here nor there.

Your definition leaves out the fact that the Thai passport is more useful:

1) if you're living in Thailand (about 1,000 times more useful);

2) if you're traveling around ASEAN, as well as some other countries such as Russia (no visa required) and Iran (visa on arrival)

If I am living in Thailand permanently, traveling maybe once a year to Europe or the US, and every month within ASEAN -- the Thai passport is better.

In any case, the hassle of having to get a visa for occasional Western countries is insignificant when compared to the daily hassles of living as a foreigner in Thailand: visas, work permits, 90-day reporting, difficult access to credit, etc., etc.

Edited by NewlyMintedThai

Your mileage may vary.

There's nothing wrong with a Thai passport but it necessitates acquiring visas for many countries that do not require visas from citizens of the US.Therefore in terms of simple convenience a US passport is by definition more useful.Your personal circumstances are neither here nor there.

Try entering Australia on a US passport without the required visa !

The "freedom" offered by some Western passports in the past is now almost by the day being restricted

Your definition leaves out the fact that the Thai passport is more useful:

1) if you're living in Thailand (about 1,000 times more useful);

2) if you're traveling around ASEAN, as well as some other countries such as Russia (no visa required) and Iran (visa on arrival)

If I am living in Thailand permanently, traveling maybe once a year to Europe or the US, and every month within ASEAN -- the Thai passport is better.

In any case, the hassle of having to get a visa for occasional Western countries is insignificant when compared to the daily hassles of living as a foreigner in Thailand: visas, work permits, 90-day reporting, difficult access to credit, etc., etc.

1.Do you need a Thai passport to travel in Thailand? What you mean I suppose is that Thai citizenship is advantageous for a foreigner (particularly the ability to buy land).Don't disagree but we were talking about passports (ie ease of international travel), not citizenship.

2.Visa on arrival - where required - is easy for US citizens within Asean.

3.I don't find any hassle at all in living in Thailand as a foreigner with PR.Actually I didn't find it a hassle in the 30 years or so before before I had PR (thanks to my profession and office back up).

So for the vast majority as regards ease of foreign travel a US passport wins hands down over a Thai passport.I appreciate with your further explanation this may not apply to you.One aspect you don't mention is consular support.If I had a problem in say France, I know which Embassy I would have more faith in.

Also I accept that the visa situation is improving for Thais.Country getting richer, much less third world and Thai travellers generally well behaved compared with others.Japan now offering visa free 15 day stays to Thais.

Your mileage may vary.

Try entering Australia on a US passport without the required visa !

The "freedom" offered by some Western passports in the past is now almost by the day being restricted

The following is an overview of selected countries taken from the Henley & Partners Visa Restrictions Index - Global Ranking 2013:

Rank Score Rank Score 1 Finland 173 9 Malaysia 163 1 Sweden 173 9 Malta 163 1 United Kingdom 173 10 Liechtenstein 159 2 Denmark 172 14 Hong Kong 152 2 Germany 172 19 Brazil 146 2 Luxembourg 172 20 Israel 144 2 United States 172 24 St. Kitts & Nevis 131 3 Belgium 171 40 Montenegro 98 3 Italy 171 41 Russian Federation 95 3 Netherlands 171 42 South Africa 94 4 Canada 170 44 Bosnia Herzogovina 91 4 France 170 46 Dominica 87 4 Ireland 170 56 United Arab Emirates 72 4 Japan 170 60 Thailand 64 4 Norway 170 74 India 52 4 Portugal 170 79 Egypt 47 4 Spain 170 81 Vietnam 45 5 Austria 168 82 China 44 5 New Zealand 168 86 Iran 40 5 Switzerland 168 88 Lebanon 38 6 Australia 167 89 Nepal 37 6 Greece 167 91 Pakistan 32 6 Singapore 167 93 Afghanistan 28 7 South Korea 166 8 Iceland 165

*Number of countries and territories which can be entered without a visa by a citizen of the respective country

and what visa do you get if your 45 ( under 50),, sold nyour business, very well off and retired,,,, sense you seem to know everything about everyone else.

For the very well off there is the Thailand Elite option...

Where does it say there aren't sufficient funds.

Wanting to hang out in a country normally isn't a crime.

Where does it say there aren't sufficient funds.

Wanting to hang out in a country normally isn't a crime.

perhaps not , but actually doing it without the required permission to do so certainly is.