Help! Denied Tourist Visa in Thai embassy in Singapore

If you have an apartment in Bangkok and have spent 5 Months there you are hardly a tourist. Try that in any western country with tourist visa rules and you would be denied also. my country , Australia, come to mind. 90 day tourist visa for you , no problem. leave the country for a day or so and re-apply, no way you will get another one.

All these ways of staying in Thailand without actually having the right visa annoy the hell out of me i.e. ED visa with no intention of actually studying. If you do not have the correct requirements for a long term visa i.e. retirement with suitable funds. married to a Thai with suitable funds or working here legitimately then you don't belong here other than for a genuine holiday. I have lived in Thailand for 6 years and work here. I never have a problem renewing my yearly visa as I submit the correct paperwork and meet the requirements.

If you don't have the funds or the meet Thailand's visa requirements legally then you should not be here as people trying on all these scams to stay here just make life more difficult for foreigners that live here legally.

I wasn't going to comment initially, but I was so PO with your dog in the manger attitude that I have to.

What is it with guys that think only those with heaps of cash should be able to enjoy living in Thailand?

Immigration doesn't give any legal option other than tourist visas for those under 50 without the ability to qualify for a non immigrant visa, but they DO allow multiple visits and if it was a problem they'd bring back the rule of only 90 days in 6 months. They cancelled that rule for a reason.

BTW, you may not have noticed, but it isn't "any western country, or Australia" ( and let's not forget that they wouldn't let non whites in not so long ago! ). It's THAILAND, and they can do whatever THEY like. It's BECAUSE it isn't "any western country" that some of us want to live here.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have an apartment in Bangkok and have spent 5 Months there you are hardly a tourist. Try that in any western country with tourist visa rules and you would be denied also. my country , Australia, come to mind. 90 day tourist visa for you , no problem. leave the country for a day or so and re-apply, no way you will get another one.

All these ways of staying in Thailand without actually having the right visa annoy the hell out of me i.e. ED visa with no intention of actually studying. If you do not have the correct requirements for a long term visa i.e. retirement with suitable funds. married to a Thai with suitable funds or working here legitimately then you don't belong here other than for a genuine holiday. I have lived in Thailand for 6 years and work here. I never have a problem renewing my yearly visa as I submit the correct paperwork and meet the requirements.

If you don't have the funds or the meet Thailand's visa requirements legally then you should not be here as people trying on all these scams to stay here just make life more difficult for foreigners that live here legally.

I wasn't going to comment initially, but I was so PO with your dog in the manger attitude that I have to.

What is it with guys that think only those with heaps of cash should be able to enjoy living in Thailand?

Immigration doesn't give any legal option other than tourist visas for those under 50 without the ability to qualify for a non immigrant visa, but they DO allow multiple visits and if it was a problem they'd bring back the rule of only 90 days in 6 months. They cancelled that rule for a reason.

BTW, you may not have noticed, but it isn't "any western country, or Australia" ( and let's not forget that they wouldn't let non whites in not so long ago! ). It's THAILAND, and they can do whatever THEY like. It's BECAUSE it isn't "any western country" that some of us want to live here.

when did the 90 days in 6 months in 90 days rule apply to tourist visas?

Immigration doesn't give any legal option other than  tourist visas for those under 50 without the ability to qualify for  a non immigrant visa, but they DO allow multiple visits and if it was a problem they'd bring back the rule of only 90 days in 6 months. They cancelled that rule for a reason.

The 90 day rule had nothing to do with tourist visa entries it only applied to visa exempt entries. When it went away is when the 15 days at border crossings came into affect.

They changed it in an attempt to stop or at least slow down serial border runners.

Applying for a visa is not a scam.

And what do you care what other people do anyway? I know it sucks to be you but how exactly does it make life more difficult for you and other foreigners living "legally"?

The OP requested a tourist visa. Whether he spends 3 days in Thailand or 300 days, as long as he is not breaking the law then who cares?

If it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy then you can just keep on thinking that somehow you are better than him.

None of this makes me feel better than anyone. This is a discussion about what is legal and what is not in the eyes of Thai Immigration. I was just stating that a tourist visa is just that and as this their country they every right to impose whatever restrictions they want on issuing visas whether you agree with them or not. As long as someone can legally meet these requirements they should be eligible for a visa. Neither myself or any other foreigner has the right to live in Thailand.

As for making life difficult for foreigners living here with valid visas, yes the actions of foreigners here rorting the system does make life more difficult for us as the more Thai immigration sees of this type of behaviour the more cynical and hard to deal with they become with the result that they instigate even tougher regulations and checks for all visa classes. I really sympathise with foreigners that are retired here as the visa regulations and the number "hoops" they have to jump through appear to get more difficult every year. I have elderly friends in the area that I live that are retired here and the annual visa process causes them a great deal of anxiety and stress as they have homes and an established life here.

I live here on a retirement visa and the only stressful thing about it is whether I can get an appointment or not to extend it due to the large numbers of other people also extending. The actual extension process is simple enough as long as one has the 800,000 required for 3 months. There's nothing difficult about the paperwork.

As for your elderly friends, it's well known amongst those that actually "know" Thailand that one should never "own" property here, for all the obvious reasons, all of which have been extensively posted on TV.

The 90 day rule had nothing to do with tourist visa entries it only applied to visa exempt entries. When it went away is when the 15 days at border crossings came into affect.

They changed it in an attempt to stop or at least slow down serial border runners.

I stand corrected, so Singapore is completely wrong ( they seem to make it up at embassies, don't they? ) and there has never been a problem with staying in Thailand on consecutive tourist visas.

And what do you care what other people do anyway? I know it sucks to be you but how exactly does it make life more difficult for you and other foreigners living "legally"?

The OP requested a tourist visa. Whether he spends 3 days in Thailand or 300 days, as long as he is not breaking the law then who cares?

If it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy then you can just keep on thinking that somehow you are better than him.

None of this makes me feel better than anyone. This is a discussion about what is legal and what is not in the eyes of Thai Immigration. I was just stating that a tourist visa is just that and as this their country they every right to impose whatever restrictions they want on issuing visas whether you agree with them or not. As long as someone can legally meet these requirements they should be eligible for a visa. Neither myself or any other foreigner has the right to live in Thailand.

As for making life difficult for foreigners living here with valid visas, yes the actions of foreigners here rorting the system does make life more difficult for us as the more Thai immigration sees of this type of behaviour the more cynical and hard to deal with they become with the result that they instigate even tougher regulations and checks for all visa classes. I really sympathise with foreigners that are retired here as the visa regulations and the number "hoops" they have to jump through appear to get more difficult every year. I have elderly friends in the area that I live that are retired here and the annual visa process causes them a great deal of anxiety and stress as they have homes and an established life here.

I live here on a retirement visa and the only stressful thing about it is whether I can get an appointment or not to extend it due to the large numbers of other people also extending. The actual extension process is simple enough as long as one has the 800,000 required for 3 months. There's nothing difficult about the paperwork.

As for your elderly friends, it's well known amongst those that actually "know" Thailand that one should never "own" property here, for all the obvious reasons, all of which have been extensively posted on TV.

well I am one of those guys with a home in thailand and I'm happy I do. what do you "know" that I dont?

well I am one of those guys with a home in thailand and I'm happy I do. what do you "know" that I dont?

You're only happy owning property in Thailand till there is a problem, but there are many many threads about farangs with property problems and I don't need to repeat them now. A search will turn them up if you want to know.

1 post deleted to allow posting.

facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

To the posters arrogantly scolding the long term tourists:

As a legitimate business owner and long-time holder of repeated multiple-entry B visas, it's easy for us to get cocky and say that others wouldn't have any problem if only they were "like us."

Truth is, we never know how erratic these visa rules are and we never know when even we "legitimate" (for now) folks will or can have a problem in the future if/when the rules are changed...

blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

• Like 1

I would never give up my Norwegian passport . We are so rich and powerful and I can travel anywhere I want. And if I am in trouble the embassies comes running to save your ass.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As a legitimate business owner and long-time holder of repeated multiple-entry B visas, it's easy for us to get cocky and say that others wouldn't have any problem if only they were "like us."

Truth is, we never know how erratic these visa rules are and we never know when even we "legitimate" (for now) folks will or can have a problem in the future if/when the rules are changed...

as in other countries, tourist visas are issued for tourism.

I agree with you, man.

But in the case where they're not working and just spending (but with no 10M baht to 'invest'), it's a gray area when we get to the definition of tourist. We can quote the legal definition of it if we want, but then that's the problem; these legal definitions and/or conditions change erratically and it could hit us businessman some day too (if it hasn't already in the past).

I get concerned each year that there might be a change in visa rules disallowing the multiple entry (just this year they removed it from KL even if you have a valid work permit and business, but it luckily was still is available in Australia).

What if, for example, they suddenly changed our work permit requirement from 4 Thai employees per foreigner to 1,000 Thai employees, since some politico wants to "increase jobs?" Before you laugh, we gotta look back at these erratic changes in the past and you realize you never know.

smile.png

I agree with you, man.

But in the case where they're not working and just spending (but with no 10M baht to 'invest'), it's a gray area when we get to the definition of tourist. We can quote the legal definition of it if we want, but then that's the problem; these legal definitions and/or conditions change erratically and it could hit us businessman some day too (if it hasn't already in the past).

I get concerned each year that there might be a change in visa rules disallowing the multiple entry (just this year they removed it from KL even if you have a valid work permit and business, but it luckily was still is available in Australia).

What if, for example, they suddenly changed our work permit requirement from 4 Thai employees per foreigner to 1,000 Thai employees, since some politico wants to "increase jobs?" Before you laugh, we gotta look back at these erratic changes in the past and you realize you never know.

smile.png

then you leave the country. simple as that. the fact is, the more that guys fiddle the system, the better the chance that the government unwisely overreacts and tars everyone with the same brush. thailand, like most other countries, has a right to want to attract more affluent visitors and investors and discourage those of less benefit to the country.

• Like 1

I agree with you, man.

smile.png

This can happen, even to permanent residents. I once had a WP with my own small business without needing any Thai employees at all because I have PR. They recently changed the rules, so that there is no longer any privilege for PRs applying for WPs, even though in most other countries PR means you can work without a WP. That's why you need to go for the best immigration status you can get and why I am applying for Thai citizenship. PR now costs a lot more than it did when I applied, the process is much more rigorous, takes years longer and the benefits are less than they used to be which were always less than in other places.

I am not denigrating those who do it but staying as a long-term tourist is certainly a very insecure basis to establish a life in Thailand, as you could fail to get back in suddenly without waring. Even the financial hurdles for retirement and marriage extensions will be increased again one day to catch up with inflation and officials have no mercy about denying even those who don't make the cut even if they have wives and children dependent on them in Thailand. Then there is the talk of collecting medical fees in advance, probably so that crooks can siphon off billions without providing any medical benefits to foreigners. Unfortunately there is a very narrow minded nationalistic mindset that prevails in this area and they do pretty well from tourism, so there is no sense of any need to make themselves more competitive.

A tourist in Thailand is anyone not on a long term visa. They have to leave and reenter every 90 days or less, therefore they are not residents. If the Thais didn't like it, they'd change the rules, ergo they are quite happy to have people spending money in Thailand to support Thais regardless of whatever certain people on TV may think.

"A tourist in Thailand is anyone not on a long term visa. They have to leave and reenter every 90 days or less, therefore they are not residents. If the Thais didn't like it, they'd change the rules, ergo they are quite happy to have people spending money in Thailand to support Thais regardless of whatever certain people on TV may think."

The "rules" have changed !

No more 30 day visa exempt entries via a land border.

Back to back tourist visas becoming difficult to obtain and impossible from some places

Multiple entry "O" and "B" visas virtually impossible.

ED visas similarly "difficult" to obtain without the required paperwork.

Seems to me that the authorities are slowly but surely clamping down !

A tourist in Thailand is anyone not on a long term visa. They have to leave and reenter every 90 days or less, therefore they are not residents. If the Thais didn't like it, they'd change the rules, ergo they are quite happy to have people spending money in Thailand to support Thais regardless of whatever certain people on TV may think.

not true. a tourist is on a tourist visa. period

and what visa do you get if your 45 ( under 50),, sold nyour business, very well off and retired,,,, sense you seem to know everything about everyone else.

stay 6 months in Thailand and six more months in Cambodia. If you can't get a legal stay then bite the fruit. There are alternatives , and i am not talking about ho to circumvene Thai Immigration rules ! Good luck !!

The Thai embassy in Singapore is the most difficult embassy (aside from the India embassy) I have ever dealt with. As others have said, go to Cambodia or Laos. Not sure if Penang is still a good option, seem to recall something against going there recently.

To true! I use to work in Singapore before living in LOS and the amount of people I heard that got knocked back for tourist and work visas was incredible. I flew back to Australia to get my visa, no-way I was gonna deal with Singapores s##t. The OP should have tried KL, very easy there.

"A tourist in Thailand is anyone not on a long term visa. They have to leave and reenter every 90 days or less, therefore they are not residents. If the Thais didn't like it, they'd change the rules, ergo they are quite happy to have people spending money in Thailand to support Thais regardless of whatever certain people on TV may think."

The "rules" have changed !

No more 30 day visa exempt entries via a land border.

Back to back tourist visas becoming difficult to obtain and impossible from some places

Multiple entry "O" and "B" visas virtually impossible.

ED visas similarly "difficult" to obtain without the required paperwork.

Seems to me that the authorities are slowly but surely clamping down !

"slowly but surely clamping down"...........Slowly is the right word.Every year it seems to be a clamping down campaign from Thai authorities regarding visa`s.

Im not holding my breath this time either coffee1.gif .............

not true. a tourist is on a tourist visa. period

REALLY!!!!!!!

What about the millions that arrive on visa EXEMPT entry for 30 or 15 days?

At the moment there is nothing to stop a farang living near the Malay border doing 15 day border runs indefinitely. Costs nothing more than the bus ticket or petrol if they can get visa free entry to Malaysia.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Oh do settle petal,

If the guy has cash to finance living without working then I would call him a full-time tourist, where do you see a problem with that.

does your home country offer a full time tourist visa for foreigners??

Isn't the reason most foreigners come to stay/live in Thailand is because it is so much different than their home country?

But to answer your question, my county doesn't enforce immigration laws anymore so does that make it fair to expect Thailand to let anyone come and stay?

• 11 months later...

The Thai embassy in Singapore is the most difficult embassy (aside from the India embassy) I have ever dealt with. As others have said, go to Cambodia or Laos. Not sure if Penang is still a good option, seem to recall something against going there recently.

To true! I use to work in Singapore before living in LOS and the amount of people I heard that got knocked back for tourist and work visas was incredible. I flew back to Australia to get my visa, no-way I was gonna deal with Singapores s##t. The OP should have tried KL, very easy there.

An advantage of getting a visa in Singapore is the short lineups & wait times. Like 10 minutes. Compare that to reports re Laos or KL with 100 people & hours before you get to speak with immigration.

Penang is a good option in that lineups there are also reportedly short & quick. Moreover you can even avoid that by hiring an agent to do it all for you. That might suit crippled folk & others to whom the trip to immigration would be considered a hassle or quite painful.

I recieved a visa in SG but was told it was the last time i'd get it by the girl who handed me back my passport. But rules may have changed, she may be gone or have forgotten or not be there any more, or misinformed/clueless, so why follow her suggestion & not try again, especially if SG is the most convenient place for me to apply & i'll be there already?

Perhaps all they need is some proof of income, like 300K baht in cash & traveler's checks, which they can feel free to photocopy for their records.

I don't see any legitimate reason why SG would deny me future tourist visas. The following from their website does not apply to my case:

"Consular officers reserve the right to refuse the application for a tourist visa if the applicant continuously stays in Thailand for more than six months under tourist visas, and are unable to provide sufficient evidence that the purpose of visit is tourism."

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/visa-requirements/tourist-visa

Edited by oldthaihand99

Well, I bet this thread will attract those who are jumping all hula hoops and feel superior standing in the pinnacle of righteousness.

I feel that Thailand deserves to see that tourists and others may have other choices...I've been here 12 years with various visas (probably tried every and each one besides the religious one) and now tired of all the bullshit that one has to take every day, from month to month, from year to year. Living among corruption, inadequacy and questionable practices has finally caught up with me. I don't want loose my integrity and moral values being part of disgrace what goes for public service in Thailand.

So, after all I have been through, I am selling everything and relocating to good old Europe. You standing on the pinnacle can keep all this to yourselves. Hope you will feel happy in the lovely polluted winds up there.

Good to see you leave. Obviously the reason that you have faced all this bullshit and corruption is that you have you have spent the last 12 years trying to find ways to get around the visa system that The Thai Government has every right to impose on foreign visitors. I moved my factory here 6 years ago, set up a Thai Company and employed Thais. Invested serious money here for machinery and buildings and export a good percentage of what I manufacture. I make a contribution to the economy of Thailand and when I go to renew my annual visa and work permit I am provided all the help that I need by the local immigration office. No need for bullshit or corruption.

What a not so conceited stance Mr. Chancey Gardener.. You must feel very proud supporting a significant proportion of the Thai economic framework. Should be more good lads like you in this fine stand-up country. Did you by chance recently help the Thai police in Ko Tao..? If not, I'm sure it's not too late for you to give your enlightened opinion to that straightforward situation too.. God bless standup ex-pats such as your saintly self.. Marvelous understanding and empathy.. Cha cha.