Cops at sai Yuan today

IrishIvan

A few months ago I witnessed a strange incident while having lunch on sai yuan. A typical expat (old and fat) driving a saleng with his mother (or wife? It would then explain a lot) was shouting at a korean/japanese girl who was riding her motorbike. She seemed to ignore him, that made him angry so he sped up a bit and forced her to stop on the side of the road. He kept on shouting at the poor girl who didn't seem to know <deleted> was going on, while showing some kind of badge he had under his neck, and then speeded away. Weird to say the least.

Is that the same guy you are talking about? He didn't even bother to wear an uniform to play his wannabe cop role, unlike the tall and thin westerner that I regularly spot assisting (?) police getting money from tourists. He always seems bored out of his mind, who knows why he is doing it? I don't think the cops are giving him a percentage of their loot, so why?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few months ago I witnessed a strange incident while having lunch on sai yuan. A typical expat (old and fat) driving a saleng with his mother (or wife? It would then explain a lot) was shouting at a korean/japanese girl who was riding her motorbike. She seemed to ignore him, that made him angry so he sped up a bit and forced her to stop on the side of the road. He kept on shouting at the poor girl who didn't seem to know <deleted> was going on, while showing some kind of badge he had under his neck, and then speeded away. Weird to say the least.

Is that the same guy you are talking about? He didn't even bother to wear an uniform to play his wannabe cop role, unlike the tall and thin westerner that I regularly spot assisting (?) police getting money from tourists. He always seems bored out of his mind, who knows why he is doing it? I don't think the cops are giving him a percentage of their loot, so why?

Making face! pure & simple, total idiot that guy

I can't speak for everyone responding to this thread, but the man that I am referring to does indeed wear a police uniform.

O.K. sorry, digression.

Back on topic, goofy UK guy outfitted in Royal Thai Police Uni (can the Nepalese tailor guys whip those up for you "sir,,, nice pants")?

Lets define "Volunteer". Don't people say "I work as a volunteer"? Weren't people during Tsunami cleanup given a hard time about no work permits for "volunteering"?

Does old boy hold a work permit as he plays policeman?

• Like 1

Just ran into the goofy UK wannabe cop stopping tourists in chalong.  What a tool!  He was intently stopping and scrutinizing all farang, but letting Thais slide through.  Saw obvious underage drivers and 3 to a bike go right through, while this goofball was intently focused on farang in the distance.  

What drives these tools to become lackys for one of the most corrupt police forces in the world?  Don't they have anything better to do with their time?  I hope somebody shoots me if I end up like that in my old age. 

He was not, in any way, helping the tourists.  Just helping the lazy Thai cops extract money from people who forgot to get an international license before they left home for their 2 week holiday.  I bet those coppers love him.  They were raking it in today, going to be party time tonight.  I sure they will have a big laugh while they raises their glasses to their farang lacky.  Nobody told them when they paid all that money to secure a position in phuket that they would have old farang men doing their work for them(and wow...such good workers those farang are).   What a relief to not worry about learning english anymore!

its good to spread the word around about these checkpoints so the law abiding farang can just avoid it all together. The Thai Volunteer farang police is no different to other volunteer organisations in Phuket. The farang people at the helm only attack other farang to exert their authority.

I think pinning a topic about police checkpoints around the island is a good idea for this forum. Some checkpoints are for drink driving. Some for helmets, others for drugs and work permits

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Just ran into the goofy UK wannabe cop stopping tourists in chalong. What a tool! He was intently stopping and scrutinizing all farang, but letting Thais slide through. Saw obvious underage drivers and 3 to a bike go right through, while this goofball was intently focused on farang in the distance.

What drives these tools to become lackys for one of the most corrupt police forces in the world? Don't they have anything better to do with their time? I hope somebody shoots me if I end up like that in my old age.

He was not, in any way, helping the tourists. Just helping the lazy Thai cops extract money from people who forgot to get an international license before they left home for their 2 week holiday. I bet those coppers love him. They were raking it in today, going to be party time tonight. I sure they will have a big laugh while they raises their glasses to their farang lacky. Nobody told them when they paid all that money to secure a position in phuket that they would have old farang men doing their work for them(and wow...such good workers those farang are). What a relief to not worry about learning english anymore!

'forgot to get an international license'

You mean '"forgot" that they don't have a motorbike license'.

• Like 2

Just ran into the goofy UK wannabe cop stopping tourists in chalong.  What a tool!  He was intently stopping and scrutinizing all farang, but letting Thais slide through.  Saw obvious underage drivers and 3 to a bike go right through, while this goofball was intently focused on farang in the distance.  

What drives these tools to become lackys for one of the most corrupt police forces in the world?  Don't they have anything better to do with their time?  I hope somebody shoots me if I end up like that in my old age. 

He was not, in any way, helping the tourists.  Just helping the lazy Thai cops extract money from people who forgot to get an international license before they left home for their 2 week holiday.  I bet those coppers love him.  They were raking it in today, going to be party time tonight.  I sure they will have a big laugh while they raises their glasses to their farang lacky.  Nobody told them when they paid all that money to secure a position in phuket that they would have old farang men doing their work for them(and wow...such good workers those farang are).   What a relief to not worry about learning english anymore!

'forgot to get an international license'

You mean '"forgot" that they don't have a motorbike license'.

thats right Steven. The same as probably 90percent of the Thai drivers on the road that dont get stopped when there is a farang at the circle directing traffic

• Like 1

Just ran into the goofy UK wannabe cop stopping tourists in chalong. What a tool! He was intently stopping and scrutinizing all farang, but letting Thais slide through. Saw obvious underage drivers and 3 to a bike go right through, while this goofball was intently focused on farang in the distance.

What drives these tools to become lackys for one of the most corrupt police forces in the world? Don't they have anything better to do with their time? I hope somebody shoots me if I end up like that in my old age.

He was not, in any way, helping the tourists. Just helping the lazy Thai cops extract money from people who forgot to get an international license before they left home for their 2 week holiday. I bet those coppers love him. They were raking it in today, going to be party time tonight. I sure they will have a big laugh while they raises their glasses to their farang lacky. Nobody told them when they paid all that money to secure a position in phuket that they would have old farang men doing their work for them(and wow...such good workers those farang are). What a relief to not worry about learning english anymore!

Where in chalong?

Where in chalong?
See this is something a newspaper like the PHUKET NEWS should be picking up.

Farang volunteer police standing at intersections harrassing and singling out tourists to fine, but letting Thais through. The TVP is a liason officer/translator, not a meter maid or a traffic cop. His/her job is to translate and provide assistance, not to shake people down.

They dont have work permits and there is no pyschological evaluation to see if they are fit to wear a uniform. There is also minimal background checks. Does the special investigations group handle complaints about the volunteers? Can they be reprimanded?

The Thai cops always come under scrutiny. What makes the TVPs a protected species? They aint Koala Bears.

His/her job is to translate

For most of them, that would be rather difficult if the language translation involved Thai language.

Oops! Should criticise really since I work as a TPV. But my parents taught be to speak the truth - which has got me into hot water on several occasions :)

Simon

Wow! I've never seen Mimi corner so busy with cops and tourists waiting in line to pay fines.
Just got back from a holiday and saw at least 15 cops ticketing tourists (all 6 ways you could go there)

and a long line of people waiting to pay their fines.

So, at least 18 cops in on this one. and a lot of sad tourists.

After 12 years here, that's the worst I've even seen it.

Oh well, welcome back. (and note to always wear the helmet)

Wow! I've never seen Mimi corner so busy with cops and tourists waiting in line to pay fines.

Just got back from a holiday and saw at least 15 cops ticketing tourists (all 6 ways you could go there)

and a long line of people waiting to pay their fines.

So, at least 18 cops in on this one. and a lot of sad tourists.

After 12 years here, that's the worst I've even seen it.

Oh well, welcome back. (and note to always wear the helmet)

End of year bonus time.

• Like 1

Simon as a TPV maybe you can correct me ?

As far as I know , a TPV has NO right legally to detain anyone ? ( therefor including asking people to pull over ) ?

P.S

There was one I seen a while back in Karon , hes sat in a bar with his full regalia on merrily getting pissed , dont what he was thinking but looked a complete douche bag.

• Like 1

If you have the correct driving license, your bike/vehicle license is current and you wear your helmet or use your seatbelt

you have nothing to worry about at a road block unless you are DUI

If not cop it sweet and pay the fine, they do not confiscate you bike/vehicle as they do in most countries for unlicensed

driving or DUI and the fines are very low, Not wearing a helmet in Australia the fine was 4500 baht probably a lot more now

Even if riding a bicycle

• Like 2

If you have the correct driving license, your bike/vehicle license is current and you wear your helmet or use your seatbelt

If not cop it sweet and pay the fine, they do not confiscate you bike/vehicle as they do in most countries for unlicensed

driving or DUI and the fines are very low, Not wearing a helmet in Australia the fine was 4500 baht probably a lot more now

Even if riding a bicycle

in Queensland Australia now you have to apply to the police for a permit if you are riding on any motorbike in groups of more than 2 people. Or get thrown in jail. No bail. Ahhh I am so glad i left that hole

Even if riding a bicycle

in Queensland Australia now you have to apply to the police for a permit if you are riding on any motorbike in groups of more than 2 people. Or get thrown in jail. No bail. Ahhh I am so glad i left that hole

Are you talking about ordinary people or members of bikie gangs

Even if riding a bicycle

Anyone on 2 wheels in groups of more than 2 has to apply for a permit. Whether its a honda or a harley. You also have your taytoos photographed when you are stopped on a bike now

Edited by IrishIvan

Even if riding a bicycle

Anyone on 2 wheels in groups of more than 2 has to apply for a permit. Whether its a honda or a harley. You also have your taytoos photographed when you are stopped on a bike now

They have been cracking down on bikie gangs for a long time,full of drug dealers, criminals and hangers on and good on the police

Never known of a ordinary law abiding biker being picked on traveling in a group

Seems the ones on Phuket are all going through the mid-life-crisis.

A couple of them, I would describe as "mutton dressed as lamb".

Volunteer coppers?

No........bikers..........the ones with the Harleys..........

Ah, makes more sense, yeah and the patched ones look like sad tools as well.

They have been cracking down on bikie gangs for a long time,full of drug dealers, criminals and hangers on and good on the police
Never known of a ordinary law abiding biker being picked on traveling in a grouphave a look at the brisbane and gold coast papers. The cops there are even grabbing blokes with tattoos at woolies and coles. Taking pics.
The wanna be cops in Thailand would love laws like qld.

Even if riding a bicycle

They charged 4,500 baht - why on earth would they charge you in baht?