Where Can I Get A Really Cheap Mobile Phone

ryro88

I just bought one at Tuk Com for 590 baht two weeks ago. It is a Samsung. No camera. just voice and text messaging. My old Motorola I bought in 2004 was just about done. Came new in the box. battery and charger are fine. Bought a new SIM card and 500 baht of minutes and all is well 3 weeks in. Girl claimed the SIM card "never die". In the past usually after 8 months or so between my visits I usually had to get a new SIM card. Double check on the minutes you buy too. The ones I got seem to expire in November. Not a problem since I will be leaving before then, but that is shorter than usual. So I think she worked an angle on me a bit.

Tesco or Big C

I bought a cheap one in Tesco, 480 baht, LG works fine in fact better than a previously more expensive mobile

Big C did have an offer of 2 Nokia phones for about 1100 baht, 2 weeks ago.

I bought a cell phone from a vendor at the Avenue shopping center and another one from a vendor at Tuk Com. Neither work. Contacted mfg. Samsung & Nokia. Found out these phones only work in Middle East. Too bad I live in USA. Can you say..I got screwed." Moral: Dont buy from any vendor. Onlyt buy from a BIG store place like Big C or Tesco. Then always ask what is the return policy in case you cant get it to work. IMHO.

• Like 1

Those suggesting phones for 800 baht or more, SERIOUSLY?!

You can have A BRAND NEW PHONE (Samsung, LG or even Nokia) for as low as 480 BAHTS if you go to a shopping mall: either TESCO LOTUS on Sukhumvit Road ( http://goo.gl/maps/RSUTy ) or BigC Extra

Avoid Tukcom where you won't find a phone under 600 bahts as most resellers buy them at Tesco Lotus or BigC so better go to the source directly!!!

I bought a Samsung for 480 bahts at BigC Extra 3 years ago (it was called "Carrefour" back then) and until today it is still working PERFECTLY even though it has fallen dozens of times, I had it during Sonkran and in my pocket under strong rain many times and believe me it's better than any other device! if I finally get to brake it or loose it or someone wanna stole it, I just buy a new one for 480 baht every 5 to 10 years, just the cheapest phone solution EVER!

Also much more convenient, smaller and lighter than a smartphone. I still have a Galaxy Nexus but I stopped using it since I'm in Thailand as it's too much money in one pocket or one hand at the same time. When I'm going out I almost always prefer this small 480baht samsung phone that I don't have to worry about.

I'm also looking for a cheap phone as a back-up as my not-so-smart smartphone has a distinctly short battery life! Anyone know the best sim card to go with it for long life with minimal usage? Don't really want a 500 baht phone and then have to pay 300baht a month just to keep the number.

Edited by gmac

I'm also looking for a cheap phone as a back-up as my not-so-smart smartphone has a distinctly short battery life! Anyone know the best sim card to go with it for long life with minimal usage? Don't really want a 500 baht phone and then have to pay 300baht a month just to keep the number.

You can get a prepaid SIM card at any 7/11 for 59 bahts, either TrueMove or AIS (1-2-Call), and then refill 20, 50, 90 bahts or more anytime you want at any 7/11.

Edited by koeko

You can get a prepaid SIM card at any 7/11 for 59 bahts, either TrueMove or AIS (1-2-Call), and then refill 20, 50, 90 bahts or more anytime you want at any 7/11.

How many days do you get for 20 Baht? 30 days for 20 Baht/month would be excellent.

How many days do you get for 20 Baht? 30 days for 20 Baht/month would be excellent.

I'm not really sure as I've never experienced anything like that... I recall leaving Thailand for a few months, and the 60 baths that I left on my SIM card were still here when I came back!

Worst case scenario if you leave for too long, you get a new number for 59 baht... or maybe you can just refill the old number and it will reactivate it again? To be confirmed.

You are charged for each phone call you make...not the passage of 24 hours.

If you don't make any calls, it will cost you nothing and you will still have 20 baht left at the end of 30 days.

If you don't make any calls, it will cost you nothing and you will still have 20 baht left at the end of 30 days.

It's not the 20 Baht baht I'm concerned about it's the time. I don't foresee using the phone except in emergencies and am just looking for the longest validity period without constantly topping up with unneeded credit.

WRONG

You also need to make sure the validity has 'time' left. This is increased every time you top up (although not charged from the balance)

totster :)

WRONG

You also need to make sure the validity has 'time' left. This is increased every time you top up (although not charged from the balance)

totster smile.png

What happens if you exceed the expiry date? is the number lost? or can it be re-activated by topping up some more money?

What is the typical validity period for AIS and TrueMove SIM cards? I've been using both (TrueMove for me, AIS for my wife) and sometime not topping up for months and never had any problem.

I know that you can check the remaining days by dialing #123# (TrueMove) or *121# (AIS) but I can't check right now because the TrueMove network seems to have a problem since a few weeks in my area (Jomtien)...