Thailand's left-hand traffic 'impedes integration'

webfact

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine the coinage that could be made from doing LH drive conversions to all the RH drive vehicles on the road in Thailand. Me thinks the dishonourable minister is just testing the water for a potential business opportunity.

The mind boggles when you consider the logistical nightmare of moving and rewording all the traffic signs and then re-routing all the entry/exits to motorways etc . The only thing that wouldn't need changing is the U-Turns and one-way streets - whoops, maybe have to change the direction of the one-ways, but it wouldn't be that noticeable anyway. (on a side note, I'm currently visiting my son in Sydney and he keeps laughing at me for looking both ways before I cross a one-way street.)

But wait......maybe the minister just wants to convert all the cars to LH drive but just keep driving on the left! Ah.....problem solved "Thai style".

• Like 2

According to Mr. Yukhon, the circumstance is probed to be an obstacle for regional trade liberalisation, as it costs investors extra logistic expenses for having to change the car engines when crossing the border.

It must be a sure nomination for most idiotic statement of the month.

Just look at the 1,000's of trucks line up at the channel tunnel , from the E.U waiting to change their engines to drive through and deliver their goods into Britain, before they turn around and change their engines again for the return journey.

Honda Toyota etc-- make their cars here to export to Australia ./new Zealand / Malaysia etc, one production line exporting a lot more luxury cars then Cambodia--Laos & Vietnam would ever be buying.

Edited by oxo1947
  • Like 2

I find this kind of story particularly disturbing as it demonstrates how incredibly stupid or banal some high-ranking officials in Thailand can be.

Firstly 40% of the world's roads drive on the LHS. (e.g. India, Japan) If you were to drive from Thailand to Tasmania, you would drive the entire trip on the LHS.

They might also look at other countries that have changed sides and see whether in the long run there were any real benefits. (BTW - this includes USA, Canada and Sweden) - Burma changed not for practical reasons - both neighbours India ands Thailand were LHS driving - but allegedly because some monk advised them "something bad would happen" if they didn't.

UK and Ireland both remain on LHS whilst in the common market - and there has been no big campaign to change over - anyone who has visited Dover will have for themselves seen the MASSIVE amount of road traffic both ways (This traffic exteds beyond the EU to Saudi etc.).....not a problem.

If they REALLY want to change perhaps the less developed countries in ASAEN might consider changing to the LHS

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

I doubt that people from Australia or Japan will be driving to this part of the world.

It does make a difference on which side your neighbors drive though, if you plan on doing a lot of trade.

Thailand and Malaysia both rank around number 30 in the world for the size of their economies, Singapore about 35 and Laos and Cambodia down around 130ish. Many of the cars in use in Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia are already RHD Thai imports.

So if it makes a difference what side your big prosperous neighbours drive on, it's about time those three countries fell into line with the big boys.

A far more useful step for this Deputy Prime Minister to spend his time on would be to promote the only common language shared by all 10 ASEAN members.

• Like 2

As if Thai people were driving on the right all their life and than someone came and change

the driving rules on them in the middle of the night, what a load of bull,

Most of the fatalities on our roads is due to drink and drive, use of drugs and drive,

vehicles over loaded, unlicensed, unqualified drivers behind the wheels, and general

lack of respect even to the most basic traffic and decorum laws....

• Like 1

Left or right, the obstacle to integration is not a question about which side of the road the Thais drive, but

the way they drive!!w00t.gif

So all the vechicles we on a daily basis see driving on the wrong side of the road, are just drivers trying to promote integration??whistling.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif top !