Please tell me about the climate and the smoke/burning in parts of Isaan?

NeverSure

I am wanting to rent an apartment in Thailand so I can have my "stuff" there for my visits. I really like the cooler North such as maybe Loei or nearby, but I'm wondering which of those towns have a lot of smoke during the burning season, or from coal burning - anything.

Is there anywhere in that area that doesn't get a lot of air pollution? I like smaller towns and the cooler climate.

I would go straight to Chiang Rai if it wasn't for the burning.

Do I need to go farther South in Isaan where it's hotter, but the air is cleaner? Where might that be?

I don't care for bars or bar girls so that isn't an issue. I can get the occasional beer in a pub, restaurant or from my fridge.

I grew up in the country on a ranch and never got used to big cities.

Any suggestions, please?

Please? tongue.png

Come to Nong Khai on the banks of the Mekong, the river itself is a huge stretch of clean air and for us at least a breeze comes down from the mountains of Laos on the other side of the river.

Incidentally, we haven't had any significant rain for a week or more and its relatively cool.

thailand-painting-holidays.com

Edited by Artist
  • Like 1

You may try Chaiyaphun (the city is nice, the province very beautiful). I've been there a few times and don't know about any burning going on there and it seems to have clear air and is very quiet.

I agree, Chaiyaphum is lovely, has a lot of natural attractions like the mountains and caves (check google for a list) and the weather is generally excellent from Halloween until the end of January (very clear and warm in the daytime and cool at night). Chumphae is a nice little town (technically in Khon Khen but very close to Chaiyaphum) which has a couple of modern places to stay and a large Tesco Lotus. I haven't experienced the widespread burning in Chaiyaphum or Chumphae that occurs in the north, but perhaps it does occur.

• Like 1

The farmers like to burn their stubble in sisaket

Can't say I have ever experienced any irritation from farmers burning stuff in my part of Sisaket (amphur Kantharalak in the South) in 6 years of living here - and I do have a chest that would notice it! They do burn off in isolated pockets, but there does not seem to be a season when they all do it together and the smoke that comes off the fields is rarely hanging around. I have never seen a lingering smog in my travels in Sisaket and Ubon provinces but maybe that's just luck of the draw

I don't think you can generalise (apart from the natural smog trap bowls of Northern Thailand apparently being very bad). It's far too localised a phenomenon.

If it's so important to you OP then try to pick an area where fruits and vegetables are grown, rather than rice or choose the side of a (even low lying) hill

• Like 1

You may try Chaiyaphun (the city is nice, the province very beautiful). I've been there a few times and don't know about any burning going on there and it seems to have clear air and is very quiet.

I agree, Chaiyaphum is lovely, has a lot of natural attractions like the mountains and caves (check google for a list) and the weather is generally excellent from Halloween until the end of January (very clear and warm in the daytime and cool at night). Chumphae is a nice little town (technically in Khon Khen but very close to Chaiyaphum) which has a couple of modern places to stay and a large Tesco Lotus. I haven't experienced the widespread burning in Chaiyaphum or Chumphae that occurs in the north, but perhaps it does occur.

Yes, I agree here. Chaiyaphum is a very nice place. Not too big, but has some nice places to visit. Also has Tesco Lotus, Big C and a Makro. There are some very good markets in the area too.

I live in Nong Bua Lamphu, but my in-laws live in Chaiyaphum, so we visit regularly. I want to live there, but the wife's work is here.

• Like 1

I've lived in Sattahip for some time, as well as a lot of Thailand and I find the air here one of the cleanest, if you look at the topography it is right on the corner of the Gulf, we get sea breezers most of the time . NOT the same as Pattaya etc and certainly not like up country which suffers not only the farmers and industry effects but also Natures with temperature inversions etc.. Sattahip has little if no effect from agriculture burn off, industry ( Maptaputt) or Charcoal Factory burn off . My lungs have never felt cleaner , and just a 2 minute bike ride and I'm surrounded by coconut plantations, pineapples, mum and pop shops etc ...... just like the country but with all the nearby city benefits .... Go to the local Market and I rarely see another Falang ... I Luv it that way :) Hope you find YOUR little piece of paradise ... Chokdee !!

• Like 1

Kalasin, and Mukdahan are nice medium sized towns. I have lived in both for at least a year and there is no burning. If you are there from October to March, there is almost no rain and it is cool, sometimes to cool for me. Mukdahan is right on the Mekong and has a Tesco, Big C, Macro, small Tops, Home Depot, and I believe a Robinson's is being built. I rented a nice small house (2 bedrooms, and an office, kitchen, and livingroom, for ฿3,000 a month.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Beware of areas when locals cut down trees and make charcoal. This is a big problem around where I live in Ubon. The smoke from the charcoal fires is very irritating, especially if they are burning next to your home.

• Like 1

Come to Nong Khai on the banks of the Mekong, the river itself is a huge stretch of clean air and for us at least a breeze comes down from the mountains of Laos on the other side of the river.

Incidentally, we haven't had any significant rain for a week or more and its relatively cool.

I came back yesterday from driving through Loei, Chaing Khan along the Mekong to Nongkhai, down to Udon Thani and back to Uttaradit. I loved the area but the most disappointing thing about the trip was that it was not possible to see more that 2 kilometers in any of this area due to the heavy thick dense smoke covering the entire area. It was just not possible to see the beautiful scenery. I thought the smoke was bad in the north around Chiang Mai etc in the first half of the year, but this was worse. It lead me to suspect that the only period when they do not burn heavily (I also saw fires everywhere) was when it is actually raining in the rainy season and even then I have seen them trying. My students here in Uttaradit are aware of the problem and do not like it but it appears the farmers are a law unto themselves.

• Like 1

A bit after harvest in November there is some burning (rice stubble) locally but not enough to cause a problem I think, near Khon Kaen

Technically burning stubble is illegal, not done so much, but still some "accidental" fires take place.

Along the South coast there are industrial areas that have the highest cases of lung cancer from industrial fumes, Rayong

• Like 1

A bit after harvest in November there is some burning (rice stubble) locally but not enough to cause a problem I think, near Khon Kaen

Technically burning stubble is illegal, not done so much, but still some "accidental" fires take place.

Along the South coast there are industrial areas that have the highest cases of lung cancer from industrial fumes, Rayong

Lung cancer incidence among Northern Thai women is one of the highest in Asia (an annual age-

adjusted incidence rate of 37.4 per 100,000), and the incidence rate significantly differs by geo-

graphical districts.

Women living in North Thailand, in particular Chiang

Mai Province, are known to have a high risk of lung

cancer.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1349-7006.1999.tb00694.x/pdf

I am not trying to be funny, but what exactly do you want?

You may well be cutting off your nose to spite your face by limiting where you choose to stay.

Why limit yourself to Issan?

Why not, I do. Noooooooooooo smoke, has everything nearby,.........Ubon town.........thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

You may well be cutting off your nose to spite your face by limiting where you choose to stay.

Why not, I do. Noooooooooooo smoke, has everything nearby,.........Ubon town.........thumbsup.gif

^^^^,

great stuff, get him lined up with TBs bit of stuff, maybe he can buy this one a laptop as well.

^^^^,

great stuff, get him lined up with TBs bit of stuff, maybe he can buy this one a laptop as well.

Who or what is TB's bit of stuff in Ubon. ?

burning is a major problem all across asia. it happens everywhere in thailand. i have had to drive at 30km max near bangkok airport due to a local burn. could not see across the mekong in april in places all up and down issan. had to stop on the road waiting for a fire to die off near chiang rai. and read reports about major problems all over thailand. it is a serious problem, and a major health issue.

Thanks so much. I'm reading and learning. I really appreciate it.

Why Isaan? It doesn't have to be Isaan, but I'm a country boy and don't like cities. I wouldn't mind living 20 kms outside of a city if it felt rural.

As I mentioned, I'd head straight for Chiang Rai if it wasn't for the smoke. Now I'm trying to find somewhere similar without the smoke. thumbsup.gif

Thanks!!!

I am just like you. would live there in a heart beat if it wasn't for the smoke. but hate the idea of having to leave every burning season.

we were in issan last april (khon kaen up to nakhon phanom, down to ubon then pattaya). it was pretty bad the entire way. better in pattaya due to the sea breeze. but still smoggy.

I came back yesterday from driving through Loei, Chaing Khan along the Mekong to Nongkhai, down to Udon Thani and back to Uttaradit. I loved the area but the most disappointing thing about the trip was that it was not possible to see more that 2 kilometers in any of this area due to the heavy thick dense smoke covering the entire area. It was just not possible to see the beautiful scenery. I thought the smoke was bad in the north around Chiang Mai etc in the first half of the year, but this was worse. It lead me to suspect that the only period when they do not burn heavily (I also saw fires everywhere) was when it is actually raining in the rainy season and even then I have seen them trying. My students here in Uttaradit are aware of the problem and do not like it but it appears the farmers are a law unto themselves.

Did you go through Phon Phisai? I live here and there is absolutely no smoke from burning off rice fields. Everybody is clearing up for the Naga Festival and they have cleared the grass on the banks of the Mekong in some areas of the town but very minor smoke from that. I travel from here to Nong Khai several times a week and I have not seen any smoke along the road either.

You must be talking about some other area!

Possibly it was the mist your saw? In the mornings it has been hazy due to mist over the river and we now have light rain for the first time after being dry for over a week.

• Like 1

Why Isaan? It doesn't have to be Isaan, but I'm a country boy and don't like cities. I wouldn't mind living 20 kms outside of a city if it felt rural.

As I mentioned, I'd head straight for Chiang Rai if it wasn't for the smoke. Now I'm trying to find somewhere similar without the smoke. thumbsup.gif

Thanks!!!

Ok, off the top of my head, try any of the following.

Petchabun, Kanchanaburi, Chanthaburi.

Your problem may well be trying to rent a condo 20kms or so outside the city, they usually dont exist.

You dont say if you need to do visa runs, another consideration, it may well be Loei for you.

Thanks!!!

Ok, off the top of my head, try any of the following.

Petchabun, Kanchanaburi, Chanthaburi.

Your problem may well be trying to rent a condo 20kms or so outside the city, they usually dont exist.

You dont say if you need to do visa runs, another consideration, it may well be Loei for you.

Thanks everyone.

When I say 20 kms outside a big city, I mean in a smaller town, but big enough to have some rentals. It could even be farther.

Yes, I'd have to do one visa run but I like to travel.

Maybe the answer is to just time my visits around the smoke season? ??

Thanks!!!

Neversure: If you lived on a ranch, I presume you are American. I too am an American country boy. For the last 25 years in America I lived 100 miles from a McDonalds or a WalMart. I now live in Kahm Sakae Saeng, which is about 50 kilometers north of Korat (Nakhon Rachasima). I have been here for 1 year. Previously living on the outskirts of Korat for 5 years. I love it here. I rent a 3 br 2ba 1700 sq ft home on 1 rai of land for 6000B a month. Fresh air and maybe 5 days of moderate burning in the year I have been here. There is a mini Tesco 17 clicks down the road. I go to Korat about once a month for fixins. I think most of the villages in Isaan are the same as mine. Come on up, I'll show you around.

Dennis

• Like 1