Cabinet approves 5-day New Year holiday Dec 28- Jan 1 to boost tourism

webfact

Just what Thailand nees, an extra public holiday. It will soon be easier to itemise the working days than the public holidays.

Of course the poor public servants are the only ones who benefit from the Thai hols, the Buddha hols, the Christian hols. Have I missed any?

probably the Lao & Cambodian hols too??

Chinese Holidays....Lord knows we need more tourists from China. They are so courteous, clean and practice all the safety rules of the road.

Congrats Jaltsc, your wish is granted !!

After President Li's visit, visa restrictions have been largely lifted so that people from the provinces do not have to go to the nearest capital to file their paperwork. It was on the news here this morning that the 3m Chinese tourists in 2012 will be 5m in 2014.

You think the people from Beijing and Shanghai are courteous, talk quietly and never gob on the floor, wait until you meet the new arrivals from Gansu and Jilin coming to get away from the winter cold !! Enjoy !! laugh.png

I hate spending holidays in Thailand during this period .... I dont like when the hotels or resorts impose to take their pretended GALA DINNER , if you refuse you still have to pay for it ..... But just wonder how much money this extra day off will cost to the country ??

never understood the point of this GALA DINNER. (beside making extra money)

They are for people who want to enjoy the holidays with friends and family. To lighten up a bit and have some fun. You should try it sometime ... you may actually like it.

That would be the case with an optional Gala Dinner, not a forced one.

Absolutely. If your on your holidays, you shouldn't be forced into attending an event. You don't even know who you are going to end up with at your table. A mate of mine and his wife stayed in an Hotel in Patters last year where he had to pay for this, even though he didn't want to go. But as he had paid for it, they attended. They ended up on a round table for 10 which included 6 Russians, my mate (Brit) and his wife (Thai). He didn't have time to find out the nationality of the other two as they only sat down for a few minutes, got up and left. My mate didn't last the full night either.

never understood the point of this GALA DINNER. (beside making extra money)

They are for people who want to enjoy the holidays with friends and family. To lighten up a bit and have some fun. You should try it sometime ... you may actually like it.

Absolutely. If your on your holidays, you shouldn't be forced into attending an event. You don't even know who you are going to end up with at your table. A mate of mine and his wife stayed in an Hotel in Patters last year where he had to pay for this, even though he didn't want to go. But as he had paid for it, they attended. They ended up on a round table for 10 which included 6 Russians, my mate (Brit) and his wife (Thai). He didn't have time to find out the nationality of the other two as they only sat down for a few minutes, got up and left. My mate didn't last the full night either.

They were forced to attend?

Obviously they weren't physically forced and frog marched to the table but I think you already knew that. They were however, forced into paying for it i.e it was compulsory. So the net result is the same IMO of course.

Obviously they weren't physically forced and frog marched to the table but I think you already knew that. They were however, forced into paying for it i.e it was compulsory. So the net result is the same IMO of course.

He chose the hotel. If they offer their rooms only in a package with the Gala i would not say its forced.

And the other people left the table because he was a Brit? That is kinda rude.

He chose the hotel. If they offer their rooms only in a package with the Gala i would not say its forced.

And the other people left the table because he was a Brit? That is kinda rude.

Where did I state that the other people left the table because he was a Brit?

I'm not getting into an argument with you over the forced bit.