Moving to CM. What to bring?

abroaddesire

Don t forget the kitchen sink !, really you can get everything you could need here, the odd thing

you might miss, but you are now living in Thailand,not USA, UK, Canada ,and just embrace the

stuff you can get here that you cannot easily get in your home country,

regards Worgeordie

Plus one

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Footwear and underwear are diffcult to find in Falang sizes but can be bought on line free of VAT (from UK at least). A good waterproof coat like Drizabone or Barbour. and a couple of good wooly pullovers, it does get cool outside the city. Remeber a wooly for MIL and/or Granny she'll love you for it.

Edited by Maybole

You will not find ANYWHERE any type of men's shoes over euro size 45, and generally 44 in most places. Not sure what sizes this relates to, I think about 10 1/2 British and 11 us or something like it. If you have big feet, take shoes. I find the only other things I wore were shorts and shirts and while I am 185 cm and 105 kg and usually an easy XL, I bought 4xl shirts and they were ok. Take prescriptions for your medications and I will take a supply next time too, it is not as easy as some suggest at pharmacies with some items in unreliable supply.

Surely you will bring your own golf clubs. And any shoes you like as large western feet are hard to fit here, as are waists and probably breasts, so have wifey bring bras of merit. All other golf stuff here, waiting for you. As are smaller breasts.

I really find some people's list ammusing.

Do not bring Salami or any dried meat, it is illegal.

This is not how to get banged up abroad in Thailand for smuggling meats.

Seeds for growing mexican chiliis or habaneros would be better than bringing the dried powders.

Saran wrap, foil and ziploc. I think someone must be on crack. Quality and bla bla bla, if they work who cares. Just get accustomed to local products.

Some people really shouldn't leave their home country.

It is like the article a few years ago about how a woman spent 100k baht a month just on groceries. She complained how fruit was so expensive and even more so than in her home country. Because she kept buying cherries, and other western grown produce. If you cannot get used to eating mangos, bananas, papayas and melon, then you have issues.

• Like 2

The perspectives that are generated via virtually any TV posts are always interesting. The OP asked about what to bring for a year stay. In that we come to Thailand for shorter stays each time (four months last year, seven months this year, most likely six months each time going forward) my comments were from that perspective.

Yes, of course one can buy virtually anything in Thailand. However, in that we travel back and forth between the US and Thailand, we bring all of our computers etc, because they are essential for each of our homes.

Additionally, in that we are allowed 55 pounds each on the flight over, we bring stuff that is meaningful to us (or should I say my wife), like a couple of small knick knacks etc.

Additionally, I have been an endurance athlete (triathlons and running) for over 35 years, I understand the value of wearing technical, no wicking clothing vs cotton - it is one of comfort and something I have learned over my many years of long distance running (if you have ever raced in a cotton shirt and suffered from bleeding nipples you understand).

So yes, some things we brought were not needed nor necessary and easily obtained in Thailand. Others, such as silk sheets leave me appreciative each and every night.

Life is short - there is no one correct way and each of our situations, needs, interests and desires generates different solutions.

Each year that we have come over to our second home we have created a list of things to bring the next year, and also things that we did not need to bring. The longer one lives here, the more one learns, and yes, like much of life, we can survive and prosper without much, but at my age (approaching mid 60s) the question is whether I want to or not.

Cheers and we trust that you will enjoy your stay as much as we do each year.

• Like 1

You will not find ANYWHERE any type of men's shoes over euro size 45, and generally 44 in most places. Not sure what sizes this relates to, I think about 10 1/2 British and 11 us or something like it.

Actually, running shoes 12 1/2 - 13 are not hard to find, but not a lot of choices in that size.

• Like 1

I don't mean to troll, but I do worry sometimes the pots and pans have lead or some type of chemical element that may not be great for you. It might be just in my mind, but perhaps something to investigate if overly concerned.

i would also bring good masks for the smoke that beings around March. I went through about 10 in a few months, but I was glad I had some.

Bring a jacket and also a good blanket . Computers here are the worst so bring that . When I came from the US I shipped 5 boxes I d go add something to the boxes wife would say you wont need that ,,, Well been here three years and wish I had everything I didnt need ....

• Like 1

Don t forget the kitchen sink !, really you can get everything you could need here, the odd thing

you might miss, but you are now living in Thailand,not USA, UK, Canada ,and just embrace the

stuff you can get here that you cannot easily get in your home country,

regards Worgeordie

And while your at it, bring the taps, and may as well bring a years supply of your favorite dish washing detergent, better bring the water also, or maybe enough piping to lay a connection to back home.

The list never ends.

1. All clothing that you'll need until your next trip "home" to replenish stock (including lots of good quality underwear and versatile hot weather footwear). There's a lot of cheap, poorly made, ill-fitting, synthetic clothing available here, but you'll look far and wide before finding clothes you actually want.

A Kindle, or some other e-reader. They are pricey to buy after you get here because of import duties.

A good motorcycle helmet (or two). It will be built to safety standards and will fit - two characteristics you won't find in helmets here.

An IDP (international drivers permit) to get you started here before obtaining a Thai driver's license.

Good travel luggage, including smaller items like toiletry cases and packing cubes.

Things of personal value to you.

Money and good health.

Nothing else. This is the most important item on this list.

• Like 1

...Computers here are the worst so bring that ....

Just about all international brands of computers are available here. The Sony, HP, Samsung, Asus, Apple, etc. gear is identical to that sold in other countries, and is priced about the same. If you've got a decent laptop or tablet already, by all means bring it. No reason to lug a desktop in from another country (and in fact you may have power supply problems). Certainly bring an external drive or two loaded with any data files you want to keep.

• Like 1

If you have sensitive skin or whatever it is hard to find hypoallergenic products here. My wife does not like most of the hand soaps, bath soaps, laundry soaps, antiperspirants, hair care products, cosmetics, etc. that you find here. She thinks they are too harsh. She also decided to go gray before using any of the hair coloring products here. I have to admit that since I started bringing super concentrated hypoallergenic laundry soap back when I travel that my skin is not itchy any more.

Grin

• All clothing that you'll need until your next trip "home" to replenish stock (including lots of good quality underwear and versatile hot weather footwear). There's a lot of cheap, poorly made, ill-fitting, synthetic clothing available here, but you'll look far and wide before finding clothes you actually want.
  • A Kindle, or some other e-reader. They are pricey to buy after you get here because of import duties.
  • A good motorcycle helmet (or two). It will be built to safety standards and will fit - two characteristics you won't find in helmets here.
  • An IDP (international drivers permit) to get you started here before obtaining a Thai driver's license.
  • Good travel luggage, including smaller items like toiletry cases and packing cubes.
  • Things of personal value to you.
  • Money and good health.
  • Nothing else. This is the most important item on this list.

Good health insurance for emergencies or an easy way for one of you to get to 100,000 baht (about $3000) in case of emergencies. Investigate travel insurance options before you go. Foreigners don't receive free health care here and one motorbike accident can easily cost 1,000,000 baht (about $27,000) to treat. Oh don't fall for the motorcycle rental place saying you have "full coverage" They mean for the bike, not you!

• Like 1