Handling charges by customs?

Lopburi99

I have a shipment for a small electronic item (for which I paid $40) being shipped from a Hong Kong manufacturer by DHL Express (for which I paid $23). It was held by Thai customs who asked for a further description of package contents and a copy of my passport page. DHL customer service provided customs with my description (home security alarm) and scan of my passport page by email.

DHL tracking said package was then "Out for Delivery", now it is "On Hold, awaiting payment". I have just been informed told a import duty charge will be assessed plus "handling charge for clearance".

I am currently awaiting the amounts, plus means of providing payment.

This is the first time I've had an issue with customs. Does all this fuss over a $40 item surprise anybody?

I'll let you know how many baht they want from me. I am this close to telling them to keep the damned thing.

Maybe if everybody would tell them that, then cancel payment if a credit card was used, they'd straighten up.

Er, no.

Good luck, either way. Let us know.

I'll let you know how many baht they want from me. I am this close to telling them to keep the damned thing.

Maybe if everybody would tell them that, then cancel payment if a credit card was used, they'd straighten up.

Er, no.

You can't cancel the payment with DHL or customs. Only with the shop.

I had a the same experience yesterday with a package from the States. DHL called and asked I e-mail a description of the contents and a copy of my passport.

Bottom line: I had to pay Customs B1400 on the contents that are valued at B2500. and B350 to DHL to handle the clearance process.

They gave me the DHL Bangkok Bank account number and I had to transfer the funds in order to get delivery.

I never experienced this with FedX

You can call DHL clearance department at 02 135 0271. They speak English quite well. Good luck.

This behavior is not unusual at all. You shall know that ALL seagoing shipments coming in into the big corrupted city

of Bangkok´s port, they are being held for ransome as well.

The customs officers in port of Bangkok are so well known now among their fellow forwarder-collegues that the

thai customs brokers are recommended another port now adays for import-shipment Lat Krabang... The invironment

there is MUCH mbetter and MUCH less corrupted,,,

The Bangkok customs in Bangkok are digging their own grave just now...

Glegolo

• Like 1

A friend was telling me yesterday that the post office had contacted him for a duty payment he had purchased a pair of shoes/trainers in the USA via ebay at a cost of 3,000 baht the import duty demanded was 6,000 baht . he has now filled a form in at the post office on appeal and has requested that customs review the charge as there is not a 200% duty on shoes he has also told them that if they are insistant that he has to pay such an obscene amount to keep them. Last month his wife ordered a kitchen product from the UK for 2,500 baht the duty was 7 baht maybe she used her Thai name just a thought.

I have 50 cubic mtr in boxes coming from the UK they are personal posession's and I have to be honest I am expecting to get stung big time !!!!!

This behavior is not unusual at all. You shall know that ALL seagoing shipments coming in into the big corrupted city

of Bangkok´s port, they are being held for ransome as well.

The customs officers in port of Bangkok are so well known now among their fellow forwarder-collegues that the

thai customs brokers are recommended another port now adays for import-shipment Lat Krabang... The invironment

there is MUCH mbetter and MUCH less corrupted,,,

The Bangkok customs in Bangkok are digging their own grave just now...

Glegolo

No the problem is not customs, it is the broker of DHL, FedEx, UPS.

We do a lot clearing ourself or by some cheap broker, both for DHL and FedEx shipment as well for seafreight and airfreight.

If everything is correct than there is no problem and no corruption. The problem is that the declaration is usually complete wrong and even professional agents don't know that the customs tariff numbers have a meaning.

I have seen 100 times: Number and description don't fit together and the duty is also wrong for that number. Additional often things are undervalued. Than it goes into corruption to get that cleared. IF they catch you once for cheating they don't believe anything anymore.

• Like 2

The parcel companies in the UK are doing the same 'clearance fee' rip off. Got fed up and challenged it, telling them I had not authorised them to do anything. They told me it was too complicated for people to do themselves and was automatic. I refused to pay and cited the law that it is illegal to withhold mail (here anyway). They sent the parcel to me, and now I have 'customs clearance by recipient' written on anything I buy from abroad, it's dead easy, all the charges are on the web and I even used it to successfully challenge a rating band.

The problem is that this rip off now makes it not worth importing anything low value, once there was a chance it would get through with no charge, now the parcel companies make darn sure everything is presented for inspection so they get their cut.

• Like 2

A friend was telling me yesterday that the post office had contacted him for a duty payment he had purchased a pair of shoes/trainers in the USA via ebay at a cost of 3,000 baht the import duty demanded was 6,000 baht . he has now filled a form in at the post office on appeal and has requested that customs review the charge as there is not a 200% duty on shoes he has also told them that if they are insistant that he has to pay such an obscene amount to keep them. Last month his wife ordered a kitchen product from the UK for 2,500 baht the duty was 7 baht maybe she used her Thai name just a thought.

I have 50 cubic mtr in boxes coming from the UK they are personal posession's and I have to be honest I am expecting to get stung big time !!!!!

Do you have a customs broker in Bangkok???? If so, ask him if he prefer to change destination from Bangkok to Lat Krabang instead,

That would make it more cheap with this ransom-money the customs debit.

For 50 m3 you will be hit big time if you do not act.... Normal "price" from customs are for a 20´container (you are having a 40´contr)

round 65-80.000 baht and you can guess what you will end up paying....

So what you can do is 3 tings as I sees it:

a - change the weight in the bill of lading, go back to the shipping comnpany and take the weight down as much as you can, as

the customs are having an ekvation which is based on weight x 320 x 7% bl.a. bl.a.

b - talk to your customs broker, show him the packing-list and ask him already NOW what the "charge" will be from the customs...

if you do not get a straight up answer from them, you shall or can

c - Go by yourself and clear your goods through customs. Some clients have done this and were very happy and some clients

have done it and been hit even worse....

Remember that thai customs are scambrothers all of them,,,, personal effects that sholuld be free of charge here at the import.

are in fact NOT free. The thai customs have changed personal effects ONLY to be valid on clothes bedware and some small shitthings.

The rest of it is renamed and taken out of the ekvation and is being faced with heavy duties UNLEGALLY of course.

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

The parcel companies in the UK are doing the same 'clearance fee' rip off. Got fed up and challenged it, telling them I had not authorised them to do anything. They told me it was too complicated for people to do themselves and was automatic. I refused to pay and cited the law that it is illegal to withhold mail (here anyway). They sent the parcel to me, and now I have 'customs clearance by recipient' written on anything I buy from abroad, it's dead easy, all the charges are on the web and I even used it to successfully challenge a rating band.

The problem is that this rip off now makes it not worth importing anything low value, once there was a chance it would get through with no charge, now the parcel companies make darn sure everything is presented for inspection so they get their cut.

Can you provide the website please...

Customs can be a complete nightmare here.

Many times had costs for customs clearance confirmed prior to shipping, and then find they pull a figure out of the air when it arrives so you can't plan anything in advance. It gets a bit ridiculous when the costs for the customs "bribe" costs more than the product and shipping. When they get difficult, I tell them I don't want it and 9 times out of 10 they deliver with no extra charges. Easy to get a refund most times as it hasn't been "delivered".

Have also had Thai people talk to them who were shocked by their thievery and it also made no difference how "helpful" you are with them. Bunch of thieves.

• Like 1

No not really, where DHL or UPS etc are concerned it seems they use any excuse, and hold an item for "ransom" for so called clearance fees, which in my opinion is just another scam.

They even tried it with me for a parcel that was being returned to me! Wanted me to pay for something I had not ourchased but sold and being sent back to me.......unreal.

Fed ex is no better. Any thing coming into Thailand they automatically turn it over to customs and charge you for handling fees on this end. They never mention that to the shipper.

• Like 2

Mistakes can be made and are daily in all fields of life but courier companies are simply following the law and collecting for customs not themselves. The fees that they charge for customs clearance can be avoided if you clear customs yourselves.

And unless your time has no value you probably don't want to clear customs yourself.

As for mistakes DHL etc are like going to fast food place low fees for low quality service. Go to a high quality broker or do it yourself don't blame others.

I have had many problems with DHL etc but I don't have extra time to do it myself and no interest. Sometimes for a larger shipment like your person household belongings I use a good broker and it is a pleasure. (no duty at all when we moved to Thailand)

Can you provide the website please...

It was a couple of years ago, probably all changed now. I just Googled stuff like 'HMRC' , 'UK Customs Duty' etc.

Er, no.

Why can't you not pay customs? Are they going to come to your door and arrest you?

This happened to me too with a package from England. After weeks of getting nowhere I had it returned to the UK, the sender who charged £50 by the courier before delivery. The package was then bought by hand at no cost.

The advice I was given by a Thai in the know was always use a Thai name and if possible your address written in Thai with Thailand in English. They are on the lookout for any packages that do not appear to be addressed to a Thai and in league with the couriers have a wonderful little earner. However, anything with a value of 20,000 baht is subject to customs duty.

Edited by Anon999

Er, no.

Why can't you not pay customs? Are they going to come to your door and arrest you?

let me know how you pay customs with a credit card and cancel it afterwards.

Customs can be a complete nightmare here.

Many times had costs for customs clearance confirmed prior to shipping, and then find they pull a figure out of the air when it arrives so you can't plan anything in advance. It gets a bit ridiculous when the costs for the customs "bribe" costs more than the product and shipping. When they get difficult, I tell them I don't want it and 9 times out of 10 they deliver with no extra charges. Easy to get a refund most times as it hasn't been "delivered".

Have also had Thai people talk to them who were shocked by their thievery and it also made no difference how "helpful" you are with them. Bunch of thieves.

I have at least 2 imports per week for the last 8 or so years and not a single problem and not a single time asked for bribe.

If all documents are correct everything will be cleared correctly. No problems at all.

With wrong invoices, wrong tariff numbers you get problems.

Yup, +1 on EMS or regular post most small stuff gets through without any duty or VAT. Even if it gets stopped for duty and VAT it's not stupid.

Case in point:

Wifey received today an egg incubator from China by EMS (6 days), declared value was USD 120, customs assessed it at THB 4,000 ($128).

Duty payable 200 Baht + VAT, total < 500 Baht. Quite sensible and happy to pay (we have eggs waiting).

Note for next time, avoid couriers, customs is always a rip off, plus you get 'handling' and 'storage' charges sad.png

Well at this point I would have been glad to wait the usual month (yes, a full month) by having it sent by regular post. I appreciate the comments, looks like the best thing to do is to tell them I don't want it. I don't give a damn what they do with it to be honest with you, though some interesting visuals come to mine xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKnWS1.p . This purchase was silly anyway.

When I moved to Thailand in 2001, FedEx in Japan had a super cheap special to ship a certain size special box to Thailand for Y2,000 (about US$20, or B600 in today's Baht.) I crammed one with personal effects: clothes, knick knacks, and some small books. I was required to go to an office on Rama 4 (I forget if that were FedEx or Customs) and had to pay a B5,000 customs fee plus a smaller "warehousing" fee, with no receipt, of course. At that time I discussed the situation online and found that that was a routine ruse. I almost let them keep the box of goods, except there were a couple things I really wanted.

Since then, I have learned that it's best to ship things from overseas by regular postal service, and not by courier (FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc.) A vast majority of small items shipped by postal service avoid customs scrutiny. Package couriers, however, are required to route all inbound international shipments through Thai Customs. When duties are levied, they are calculated not only on the assessed value of the item(s), but also the amount paid for shipping. And, in addition to customs duties, 7% VAT will be collected.

• Like 1

When I moved to Thailand in 2001, FedEx in Japan had a super cheap special to ship a certain size special box to Thailand for Y2,000 (about US$20, or B600 in today's Baht.) I crammed one with personal effects: clothes, knick knacks, and some small books. I was required to go to an office on Rama 4 (I forget if that were FedEx or Customs) and had to pay a B5,000 customs fee plus a smaller "warehousing" fee, with no receipt, of course. At that time I discussed the situation online and found that that was a routine ruse. I almost let them keep the box of goods, except there were a couple things I really wanted.

Since then, I have learned that it's best to ship things from overseas by regular postal service, and not by courier (FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc.) A vast majority of small items shipped by postal service avoid customs scrutiny. Package couriers, however, are required to route all inbound international shipments through Thai Customs. When duties are levied, they are calculated not only on the assessed value of the item(s), but also the amount paid for shipping. And, in addition to customs duties, 7% VAT will be collected.

5000 Baht seems reasonable.

Express clearing is with the highest customs tariff of everything inside.

Surely there was something inside with 30 %.

Than you pay of all+the shipping 30 %

and on top 7 %

and a fee.

And you can be sure FedEx isn't thinking and even less trying to help you.

Not customs fault, fault of FedEx.

Mine got held up by the thai fda/ customs, a bit different story.

Apparently dhl and ups are notoriously bad, and do note that UPS and USPS are NOT the same thing.

It can change with the area but for me:

EMS is the worst

DHL is bad

FedEx is better

UPS, I don't know

Normal post is the best

But post and EMS may depend on where you are located.

DHL is always bad....

• Like 1