Sin Sod

Winniej

I plan to marry my Thai girlfriend and I was wondering what if anything I have to pay her parents . She has been married twice before once to a Thai and the other a European who passed away . She is 40 years old .

I will be paying for all the wedding ceremony and reception . Cheers I will be appreciative of any advice

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sin Sot...this hasnt come up in a while...w00t.gif

But to answer the OP...married twice before, be assured sin sot has already beem paid...so if the outlaws try and stitch you up 3rd time around, I would be running for the hills, they are trying to scam you and they know it

by all means by for the wedding/reception....but if the sin sot gambit comes into play seriously consider what your getting into...

So a couple of small Changs then ?

Found this on the internet....Hope it helps.....also in my situation my wife was 45, divorced with 3 children....I negotiated a reasonable "Sin Sod" which included 10 Baht of gold for my wife to be...with half of the cash to be give back to her also. (I also paid for the wedding and reception)....Remember the " sin sod " is a reflection of what YOU think she's worth ...You can make it look good to everybody else but negotiate a return of most of the money (hope their good people and WILL return to the wife as negotiated)

HOW BIG OF A SIN SOD IS WILL BE EXPECTED?

The price of the Sin Sod depends on a variety of factors. A bride’s education and social standing increase the expected price. If your fiance is a high earner or a beauty queen this will also increase the price. Rural families often expect less of a Sin Sod than city dwellers.

Other factors will decrease the amount expected. If your Thai bride-to-be has been previously married, or already has children, her family may ask for a much smaller Sin Sod. In many of these cases no Sin Sod may be expected at all.

Sin Sod amounts vary widely. If your fiance is a middle class university graduate, expect to pay 100,000-300,000 Baht. On the upper end, you may have to pay millions of Baht if your fiance is a successful businesswoman, famous performer, or rich socialite!

Remember that giving the Sin Sod is a public affair which is part of the wedding day ceremonies. Sin Sod is an indicator of social status, and can be a major gossip topic! Even if your fiance’s family does not need the money, they will be embarrassed and lose face if the Sin Sod is too low. Sometimes wealthy families will temporarily lend their future son-in-law millions of Baht for their Sin Son. Although the enormous Sin Sod they later receive is nothing more than repayment of the secret loan, it makes everyone look good.

NEGOTIATING THE SIN SOD AMOUNT

You should negotiate the amount of Sin Sod with your fiance’s parents. If there is a language barrier, have your fiance or a friend help translate. You will probably have to deal with the stereotype that all foreigners are rich. Remember to consider the cultural importance of the Sin Sod during your negotiations. If you are having trouble reaching an agreement, consider paying the Sin Sod over time, or offer to pay a large Sin Sod for show with the understanding that you will take part of it back after the wedding ceremony.

Supporting link here: http://usa.siam-legal.com/family-law/thai-dowry.php

Edited by metisdead
Always provide a link or else your post would be in violation of fair use policy.
  • Like 2

Write a check dated for after the wedding...and the wedding night. Hopefully it bounces, or gets into an international shuffle and delayed. Put out a tracer and tell them it will take six months, but pay them small amounts for those six months out of good faith. If your wife is still with you at the end of six months, then surprise everyone that the check has cleared. The amount is up to you.

Yeh, talk it over first, but don't start laughing whilst doing it as though's listening at the key hole might get upset. whistling.gif

PS. You pay no Sin Sod, her parents must thank you for moving their daughter ''on'' from her troubled life.

PPS. How many kids are tucked away ?

all those marriages...lots of tucking away !giggle.gif

Yeh, talk it over first, but don't start laughing whilst doing it as though's listening at the key hole might get upset. whistling.gif

PS. You pay no Sin Sod, her parents must thank you for moving their daughter ''on'' from her troubled life.

PPS. How many kids are tucked away ?

all those marriages...lots of tucking away !giggle.gif

What a negativity !

Try asking yourself couple of other questions.

If you were marrying an Indian - or a woman from another country where dowries are paid - would you accept payment?

If the answer is no, then why should you pay a Thai girls parents?

Do you respect your own culture? Y'know, the one where people are not bought and sold like cattle.

• Like 2