At least 5 Thais dead in Laos plane crash: 44 total dead.

Lite Beer

Do you think it is wise to post the names of passengers on here as it is unlikely family members will have been informed of their loved ones deaths?

Not a nice way to find out is it?

I binged it for Michael Creighton and it's already reported in the Epoch Times.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an update form the Australian news.

Apparently there is a strong possibility of their being 6 Australians on board.

One 'extra' one being an infant and not recorded on the manifest.

R.I.P. all that flew on that fateful flight ... wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif

I've flown Laos airlines, or is it Laos aviation now after a name change? I did approve of the candor they show by dispensing with any in flight safety demonstration. Whist we waited for more passengers to embark at Luang Prabang one of the ground crew prodded some masking tape on a propeller with a pencil then shrugged. P.S RIP the deceased.

I wish people would stop this ridiculous rumor-mongering. I call you on this comment...you are most likely out-and-out LYING. Both about not doing the safety demonstration AND your stupid masking tape comment. In the case of the masking tape, as another poster has pointed out, very likely your general cluelessness has colored your witnessing of a normal procedure for ATR-72s. I can ask my friend, who is a pilot with 10s of thousands of ATR-72 experience, such an expert at them that he (a Cambodian) has trained Thais how to fly them.

So he's not lying about the masking tape then if it's a normal procedure. He saw what he saw. He maybe didn't understand it, but that doesn't mean he's making things up.

Maybe the masking tape is there to replace the coloured markings that look like a circle when props are turning - to give a visual reference --for safety reasons. In a busy airport when there are other aircraft and people on the move-- it may not be realized the props are turning because of the other traffic noise--people have walked into props---only one winner there

You can try and avoid these smaller airlines, but even the bigger airlines have crashes from time to time. It's mostly about luck of the draw.

It is not luck of the draw as you point out. That would suggest any flight is a lottery. Fact is flying is statistically safer than driving, by a long shot.

Comparing smaller airlines to larger airlines is simplistic and downright ignorant. Larger airlines have more sophisticated maintenance and operational procedures for a start. Airlines in Laos have a chequered safety record, again statistically proven. Lao Airlines has not passed an IATA safety and operational audit and is therefore not a member of IATA. So saying that you basically have an equal chance of arriving at your destination safely be it with a large or small airline is ridiculous.

Most importantly, RIP to those souls on the flight.

"The carrier recorded some 900,000 passengers in 2012 and is expected to exceed 1 million people this year, according to a report in the Vientiane Times in March."

They might have to buy a new aircraft, though. This one looks like it might be beyond repair...

My girlfriend's family live in Ban Saphai which I believe must be very close to the crash site. She arrived there (by bus) yesterday. We are planning on visiting at New Year, flying by Laos Air from Bangkok to Pakse. This accident is a tragedy and very worrying, as is any air crash. But I still intend to fly.

A young Sydney family has been killed after the aircraft they were travelling in crashed as it approached an airport in the south of Laos, a member of the family has confirmed in a press release
Tax consultant Gavin Rhodes, his wife Phoumalaysy and their two children Manfred, 17 months and Jadesuda, 3, were among 49 passengers and crew killed when the plane crashed in the Mekong River at Pakse last night.
sad.png

According to Wikipedia, the ATR-72 Aircraft, has been involved in at least one accident every year in some developing country since 2002.

The last known in Thailand was: 4th August 2009, Bangkok Airways Flight 266, an ATR 72-212A from Bangkok Airways skidded into a disused tower at the airport on Koh Samui. The pilot of the aircraft died and ten passengers were injured. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATR_72

This particlar aircraft's safety record is now highly questionable; now having a one-to-one ratio accident event every year.

In most circumstance, theses accidents have occurred in poor weather conditions which raises the specter or whether or not these types of aircraft are suitable for tropical conditions in developing countries.

Edited by MK1
  • Like 1

RT@nikorn_ntv : จำนวนผูเสียชีวิตเครื่ิองบินลาวตกปากเซLao. 17

Aus. 5

Kor. 3

Tha. 5

Fra. 7

Chn. 1

Twn. 1

Can. 1

Mys. 1

Vnm. 2

USA 2 - My friend knows them. Very sad.

According to Wikipedia, the ATR-72 Aircraft, has been involved in at least one accident every year in some developing country since 2002.

The last known in Thailand was: 4th August 2009, Bangkok Airways Flight 266, an ATR 72-212A from Bangkok Airways skidded into a disused tower at the airport on Koh Samui. The pilot of the aircraft died and ten passengers were injured. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATR_72

This particlar aircraft's safety record is now highly questionable; now having a one-to-one ratio accident event every year.

In most circumstance, theses accidents have occurred in poor weather conditions which raises the specter or whether or not these types of aircraft are suitable for tropical conditions in developing countries.

Yes-- poor weather can be a contributor to many accidents--but also the Pilots should be aware of the limitations of the aircraft that they fly-and be prepared for alternative airports--should the need arise.There is no place in aviation for any "Bravado " antics---if in doubt---move out.

I am not saying it was Pilot Error----only the investigation will find out --hopefully ?

• Like 1

RT@nikorn_ntv : จำนวนผูเสียชีวิตเครื่ิองบินลาวตกปากเซLao. 17

Aus. 5

Kor. 3

Tha. 5

Fra. 7

Chn. 1

Twn. 1

Can. 1

Mys. 1

Vnm. 2

Whoever scribbled the summary in the picture you took this from clearly omitted the fact there was also one American on the passenger list! Audit reconciliation skills lacking!

and the Aust Government have confirmed 6 Australians, I am guessing that this list does not include the 17 month old Aussie.

Do you think it is wise to post the names of passengers on here as it is unlikely family members will have been informed of their loved ones deaths?

Am i missing something here? At 21-20 last night, post #4, you posted a list of passenger names! Your hypocrisy is staggering.

• Like 1

Am i missing something here? At 21-20 last night, post #4, you posted a list of passenger names! Your hypocrisy is staggering.

Post #4 by lovelaos was first deleted and then got later republished, albeit heavily edited republished, so that it is almost a complete different post then that what lovelaos wrote first. his original post didn't contain any photo and a different text.

I've flown Laos airlines, or is it Laos aviation now after a name change? I did approve of the candor they show by dispensing with any in flight safety demonstration. Whist we waited for more passengers to embark at Luang Prabang one of the ground crew prodded some masking tape on a propeller with a pencil then shrugged. P.S RIP the deceased.

They did the same last week on a Phitsanulok-Bkk Nok air flight with an ATR 72.

My guess is that is a normal procedure

FWIW it's the 1st crash of that AC type - ATR 72-600

AVIATION ACCIDENT
Recovery operation underway at Lao Airlines crash site

BANGKOK: -- Divers from Thailand have attempted to retrieve bodies of the passengers on the Lao Airlines flight that crashed into Mekong River and killed all 49 on aboard in Laos' Champassak province on Wednesday, the Vientiane Times reported Thursday.

As of Thursday, seven bodies had already been recovered. They are being kept at Vat Chin temple in Pakse district.

Lao Airlines officials told the Times that an investigation into the cause of the accident was currently underway, with preliminary findings expected to be announced soon.

The officials spoke at a press briefing on Thursday during which they confirmed that there were no survivors from the crash, which saw the aircraft breaking up on impact.

Initial reports suggested that the plane from Vientiane encountered a heavy gust of wind as it approached the Pakse International Airport for landing.

Among the passengers killed were five Thai nationals, three of them staff member of PTT plc.

The airline's officials said they will provide all necessary assistance to the friends and relatives of those killed and keep them informed of developments.

They confirmed that the doomed Flight 301 departed Vientiane for Pakse at 2.45pm yesterday, and crashed just over an hour later while approaching Pakse airport for landing. The flight went down into the Mekong near Phaling village in Phonthong district, Champassak province.

According to the flight manifest, there was a total of 49 people onboard, all of whom are thought to have perished in the crash.

On board were two pilots, two flight attendants, one engineer and 44 passengers. There were numerous foreign nationals from some 10 countries on the flight.

The manifest listed those on board as 16 Lao nationals, seven French, six Australians, five Thai, three South Koreans, two Vietnamese, as well as an American, a Canadian, a Chinese national, a Malaysian and one person from Taiwan.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-17

May they rest in peace, and condolences to the families. I was in Vientiane yesterday when this happened, and spent this past week in Laos, revisiting parts unseen in 37 years.

There was nothing on Lao T.V. this morning or last night. It was not in the Vientiane paper this morning.

Such a tragedy.

Edited by Colabamumbai