Where to live in Thailand?

RoyEngland

Just wanted to get peoples ideas of the best place to live for 12 months while staying Thailand. Recently I lived Thailand for 2 years. Lived Bangkok, Chiang Mai.. Bangkok I tried Bangna, On nut, Asoke.. I found it very busy. Chiang Mai was nice, colder which I was better but more for tourists.

I'm looking at Cha-am/Hua hin, Koh Chang, maybe Bangkok again, Krabi, or try something completely different like Udon or Esaan. I can live with the basic lifestyle but I'd need the internet, and I'd like to get fit.. would be nice to be around some expats.

Obviously you have many choices...I notice you didn't mention Pattaya as something your looking at. Why Not???? Just joking ....To me Pattaya is one of those places its OK to visit but look forward to leaving.

BUT ...near Pattaya ....and NOT anything like it, are number of small communities which are low key ....AND nice places to live with moderate temperatures (less rainfall than most, not the extreme hot temperatures because near the beach, kinda of a new for expats settling but GROWING, Good shopping and close to Bangkok which is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours away))....Where you ask are these places....On the eastern seaboard....Ban Chang, Rayong, Ban Phe Etc.....Give them a look....The others you mentioned are nice too.....just wanted to add to your list.

• Like 1

I lived for two years in Trang, and for the first 18 months really loved it. Small provincial town Thailand isn't really for me, so I did tire of the place.

I visited Songkhla a few times while down there, and liked the look of the place. It's worth considering.

• Like 2

I vote for Chiang Mai as I am kind of partial to it. I live there. But seriously if you are looking for ex pats to be around you are limiting your choices. With ex pats some times you are going to get the tourists.

I have only stayed there a night going to Phuket and one coming back but Cha am looked good to me and it is not that far from Hua Hin a real tourist town. I liked the beach but as you say it is cooler here in Chiang Mai. How ever as a rule mid February to mid April can be smokey. Some times longer some times shorter.

One place i think will be on the 'up' is an area on the coast just above Chumphon called Bang Saphan. It's an hr by plane from Bkk and a short drive. Currently it's cheap to rent, quiet, with a small farang bar and restaurant scene, v nice unspoilt beaches, and not too far to Hua Hin etc to the north and Koh Tao etc to the south.

• Like 2

One place i think will be on the 'up' is an area on the coast just above Chumphon called Bang Saphan. It's an hr by plane from Bkk and a short drive. Currently it's cheap to rent, quiet, with a small farang bar and restaurant scene, v nice unspoilt beaches, and not too far to Hua Hin etc to the north and Koh Tao etc to the south.

Very nice area. The only downside is the floods. But for me, this area is a hotspot as long as you are aware of the importance of getting land on high grounds.

There are some nice hilltop land plots there with sea views but there are currently issues with the land office, they are making all sorts of (illegal)demands on farang/thai couples buying land

But for renting its great

Edited by fish fingers

I lived for two years in Trang, and for the first 18 months really loved it. Small provincial town Thailand isn't really for me, so I did tire of the place.

I visited Songkhla a few times while down there, and liked the look of the place. It's worth considering.

Seconded on Trang. I too lived there for a couple of years, liked it then became very bored with it and moved.

• Like 1

You could give Phitsanulok a shot, there are worse places. Half way between Bkk and CM, easy access to east/west & north. Good internet (for Thailand) and a real good chance to get fit. Has it's own little ex-pat community and golf course.

Downside would be that you would need something to do during the week to keep you occupied..................wink.png

Depending on how old you are, I would definitely recommend Koh Phangan over Koh Chang, especially if you want to meet and hang with ex-pats, and especially since you come from England; lots of Euro's and Brits there .

Yes, the full moon hassle is just that, but it only lasts for a week and then all the idiots are gone and it's back to being paradise again; if you live anywhere except Haad Rin the full moon won't even really affect you. I stay in Baan Tai and it's really nice, just about any west-facing beach would be, although keep in mind the water is very shallow, even at high tide. Thong Nai Pan is perfect in every way and 25 miles from the full moon nonsense.

Just a thought if you want island living, methinks you'd get bored rather quickly on Chang, and Phuket is a nightmare these days compared to when I first saw it in 1999, same-same Samui .....Phangan has all mod cons and even a few gyms for you to work out, and you will only get bored if YOU stop doing stuff.

Hua Hin, I have lived in many of the places you mention. But I have lived in Hua Hin, for the past 8 years, and for me anyway, its the best place.

but it depends what you want. There is evrything you need in Hua Hin, on your doorstep. But its not in your face.

If you like the babg bang of live music, its there, if you like a quiet drink , its there.

There is one soi, that is realy taking off with expats, thats soi 80, 5 minutes from town.

there are some good beaches,especially in Koh Takiab, and Koh Tao.

Superstores, markets, everything realy, and its all within easy reach from the town centre.

There are many condos, try this on Veerawan apartments soi 88. with swimming pool. A room will set you back 5,500 a month, fully furnished. Or a one bedroom big appartment for 9,000 a month.

5 Minutes from Soi 80, and 6-7 minutes from town. Great location.

Have fun !!!

• Like 2

You mentioned "Maybe udon" .. I live aout an hour and half drive west of Udon just because that is where the lady I met and married lives, but I go shopping in Udon and can reccomend it.

Udon Thanni is a fast developing city with 2 Big C super markets and I don;t know how many Tesco;s there are now, 2 major ones and several smaller ons plus Tool Pro Home Pro home mart ETC.

There are several nice exersize parks and falang friendly bars to keep expats happy'

All in all I thougherly reccomend it as a place to live

Of course Rayong area is the best!

Nice weather all year around, 1-2 h of showers most days during rain season 25-30C

hot season 26C-32C sunny and rain now and then every month at least.

Lot's of restaurants, many seafood (because it's close to the sea) crab costs about 300bath/kg, fish 200-300 bath/kg Scallops 180Bath, beer 60-80 Bath big Leo

our lunch restaurants want 30-50bath/ normal thai lunch like pork with basil & chili rise, fried rise, thai soup.

You will find stuff that most foreigners want (like real coffee, cheese, bread, etc in several shops in Laem Mae Phim, Ban Phe and Klaeng).

Big Tesco in Klaeng/Rayong,7/Eleven/Tesco express everywhere

Close to the sea (our houses are by the sea) costs between 15-40 000 bath / month to rent long term, if you want to buy they cost 3-12 Million bath by the sea or 2-5 MB not by the sea. you can take a look at www.rayongrental.com.

Many have their own boats/Jetski's parked outside their house.

Nice for trips to the Islands outside like Koh Samet, Koh Man Nai etc.and of course for fishing.

The internet we have WiNet from TOT 10 Mbps almost all the time stable.

Company of other foreigners, when you want that, in our area there are people from Sweden, USA, Australia, France, Germany, Finland, Norway, Switzerland, etc and of course most people are Thai.

But are you a party animal then are not many bars around here, of course Rayong City and Klaeng city have bars.

Within 30km we have English/thai kindergarden and swedish international school.

have been living in Khorat/Nakhon Ratchasima City great for shopping, party, and lot's of traffic Jam

Jan-feb 15-30C no rain, almost everything looks dead.

mar-april 30-45C hot hotter than hell, and no rain.

may-oct 25-35C lot of rain

nov-dec 30-35C hot no rain

Nakhon Ratchasima facepalm.gif

Yes Nakhon Ratchasima or better known as Korat is the gateway to the North East. Korat is the second largest province in Thailand. Not a tourist province.

I've noticed that all the provinces you are looking at are tourist provinces. The problem with these provinces are they tend to have a higher rate of crime because of all the tourist traffic.

If you want to really enjoy Thailand and still have modern conveniences Korat would be a great choice.

Barry

Khao Lak. The best place for me to live since 12 years.

Empty long beaches and access to the Similan Islands ( In the high season )

Not far from Phuket, if you need a day of shopping or party.

Lots of (still) friendly Thai people and restaurants with good food options.

All year around some bars and restaurants with expats, mostly English, Swedish and german. And a good live music scene.

Very laid back all year around, but with all that you need; medical services, supermarkets, etc.