Thai editorial: We need to be honest about our failings

webfact

Good start about the failings , but don't turn a blind eye to the truth also!

And for God's sake, there are floods in Thailand, can somebody notify the government about it, it seems they are still not aware !!!

"Thais get upset when confronted with home truths..."

As Jack Nicholson said: "You can't handle the truth!!!" Thai society is about saving face, and that facet of the Thai mindset is so ingrained it will never be replaced by truth, honesty, reality or humility. wai2.gif

• Like 2

3 monkeys:
Don't see Don't hear Don't speak

3 words forbidden in Thailand:
Sex Corruption Window Dressing

The government is not blind, but they don't want to see.
Thailand is over the whole world famous about his beautifull girls and sex-shows.

They arrest people who trade in drugs and sex and nobody think about the bad things the officers do.

But only a few see Thailand as one of the biggest producers of rice.

The government does a lot good, but works slowly and keep their eyes closed.

Maybe over 50 years they are awake.

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal. Please do not post using overly large font.

With corruption endemic at every level, what impresses me is not that so many Thais are dishonest scoundrels - but that the vast majority remain decent, honest and hard working.

As a retiree fortunate enough to have settled here 15 years a go, I can honestly say I am treated with more kindness and respect by Thai people than those in my dysfunctional home country, where blaming the elderly for its current economic plight is part of the millionaire government's vote winning strategy.

Britain is the birthplace of "grannie bashing". This involves young people physically attacking old people and recording the results on their mobile telephones so their mates can enjoy a laugh, too.

If that is Western "civilisation", they can keep it.

• Like 1

What isn't mentioned, in this article, is that the arrests were made shortly before the Governor and his new side kick, the new police commander walked down soi bangla, call me suspicious if you want, but looks like another photo op. Oh, last night, 17/10/2013, business was back to normal.

Edited by Rorri

The truth will set Thais free. Thais are not interested in truth. The entire culture is based on denial, deception, and deceit.

Entire culture? Hey, the place has a number of problems but c'mon, this is way beyond a sweeping and inaccurate generality. It's just flat out wrong.

Such emcomia are wishful thinking.

Loss of face ,belief in dharma,black magic ,ghosts and special people are all part of the general ignorance.

In an increasingly globalised world where high skills and trust are earned elsewhere seems like it is destined to be the playpen of ASEAN.

Like others I feel lucky to live here and ordinary rural THAI folks seem fine and often a different color to the folks on TV?

Every week, there is onr article from the nation about what Thais should do to become better people or make a better society.

I swear it is read only on here and about 20k print copies and that is it. No one cares, and nothing will change. We should, we think, but you don't know and you won't change.

What I have wondered about is; Are these editorials/commentaries being printed in Thai and in the Thai language newspapers???

Every week, there is onr article from the nation about what Thais should do to become better people or make a better society.

I swear it is read only on here and about 20k print copies and that is it. No one cares, and nothing will change. We should, we think, but you don't know and you won't change.

What I have wondered about is; Are these editorials/commentaries being printed in Thai and in the Thai language newspapers???

No way Jose. They would get pilloried for showing disloyalty to Thailand.

• Like 1