Important info from Thai Immigration Bureau for flooded areas: Extend now!

Important info from Thai Immigration Bureau for flooded areas:

Extend your permission of stay NOW!

Due to widespread and heavy rain now causing the flood situation in many provinces, foreigners granted stay permit in the Kingdom up to 31 December, 2013 are encouraged and requested to apply for Visa Extension urgently at the immigration office located in their residing area.

Please do not hesitate to contact us early before the expired date.

Source: Immigration Bureau 2013-10-18

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/intro1.html

tvn.png
-- 2013-10-18

• Like 1

so are they saying that if your visa expires on Dec 30th you can go now and have it extended for another 90 days after the 30th?

Immigration is saying that if you are a risk of flooding yourself or your immigration office is in such risk, don't wait for it to happen but go to immigration now and get your extension beforehand, so you don't have to worry about it.

They simply want to prevent troubles when people or their office are/is actually flooded. Better be safe than sorry is the motto.

So if your permission to stay ends on the 30th of December and you want an extension of stay, you can do it now (with correct paperwork) instead of having to wait till the end of November to do it.

• Like 2

If you overstay you are liable under immigration law to a fine of 500 baht per day. A friend of mine who overstayed in 2011 because of the floods found himself liable to a huge fine. There was talk of a possible amnesty but I don't know if it materialised. Anyway, to save a lot of hassle and possible fines it makes sense to apply early if you are at risk of an overstay due to floods.The warning from the Immigration Dept is a kind and helpful thought.

My extension runs yearly to 13NOV.

Two years ago the Great Flood hit BKK

I had waited tool long and, when I started panicking, I rushed to Chaeng Wattana from Pattaya.

Just in time !! It closed the next day smile.png

It was a sight to see all the cars parked on the slight elevation in front of that office.

This year I had already planned to go early - Friday 25NOV it is.

And thanks for posting the info !!

Edited by jayceenik

Hello i just see ur anouncement about visa.

i have actually a two weeks visa till 30october but is it around 6month i m in thailand.

i m not sure to understand but i can have this free extention too cose of flood ?

How long is this extention and is it free? what i have to do for this?

(sorry for my english)

It might be a good idea to print off the Immigration Bureau link referred to in the OP and take it along with you when seeking an extension prematurely on flooding grounds, in case the message has not yet filtered through to the working level in your local immigration office.

My extension of stay is under consideration (stamp in my passport) and they invited me to show up on Nov 07th, do you think I can go there earlier than this date following this message ?

Thank you.

No it would not.

You could call to see if extension has been approved.

Need to do my 90 check in next week.

The HWY to the Korat immigration office was closed yesterday due to flooding.

Will be phoning tomorrow to see what they recommend.

I can hear them now...

"Farang Wy nam"!

" you can swim no?"

Is this request to "Extend Early" applicable to all Immigration Offices or only in Bangkok?

As the weblink points to Bangkok Immigration??

The notice that was posted in post 1 is all we know and not crystal clear.

I would call your local office and ask them.

• 2 weeks later...

so are they saying that if your visa expires on Dec 30th you can go now and have it extended for another 90 days after the 30th?

Immigration is saying that if you are a risk of flooding yourself or your immigration office is in such risk, don't wait for it to happen but go to immigration now and get your extension beforehand, so you don't have to worry about it.

They simply want to prevent troubles when people or their office are/is actually flooded. Better be safe than sorry is the motto.

So if your permission to stay ends on the 30th of December and you want an extension of stay, you can do it now (with correct paperwork) instead of having to wait till the end of November to do it.

Better to get the 1900 bath now before we drowning or get delayed from the flood, I new they had a good reason for this announcement coffee1.gif

Is this information still extant for the ChaengWattana IO my extension date for my visa is due on the 30th Nov (Visa ends on 30th Dec)but as the weather seems! to have changed for the better are they still accepting early applications or will I have to wait untill the30th Nov as originally plannedcoffee1.gif