My Passport is totally full.

I think many people can be surprised at how quickly a passport fills up these days. My UK passport doesn't expire until 2018 but already only has a couple of pages left. I just got my retirement extension until November 2014 which is what made me notice how few pages remain. No problem at the moment then, but to avoid the OP's predicament I plan to renew my passport in the next few months when I am next in the UK. I am wondering how to get the retirement visa extension transferred so I can get back into Thailand again. Is the procedure to do this at the Thai embassy in London, or to come back to Thailand on a tourist visa and get it done at the immigration office here (I live in Chiang Mai)? I presume the UK authorities don't take the old passport off you. Grateful for any advice on the best procedure.

You use both passports when you travel back showing the re-entry permit in your old passport.

Then go to immigration to have your stamps transfered over when you get back.

Edited by ubonjoe

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm 48 page. That's what's on its way.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Do you have a consulate nearby? As far as I'm concerned, you can have a few extra pages added. But I guess it depends on that particular counsulate.

UK do not add extra pages.

48 pages is the Big size. I am not aware of any bigger and did not notice any bigger size when I was looking through the relevant gov.uk pages the other day. Mind you do not actually get 48 pages clear for stamps - that includes the pages with content on front and back.

There are several problems with a full passport, and sorry if these have already been expressed. If trying to fly out of the country to anywhere other than the UK then you will probably be refused boarding at the airport (and as fellow Leeds fan I understand how unattractive that can be). If crossing a land border you are totally at the mercy (or mood) of the immigration officials dealing with you. As is generally known the Thais are a very tolerant bunch when it comes to Visas and overstay etc, but this is less true for most of their nighbours.

Your best bet is to get yourself to the UK embassy in Bangkok on Monday and apply for an emergency passport. This can only be done in the morning (and the earlier the better). Usually the emergency passport would be available in the afternoon. You need to take the usual complement of recent pictures. You need to take your existing passport and your receipts for your application for your new passport. You must also have, and this is important, confirmed details of where you want to travel to next. The emergency passport can only be issued for travel to specific destinations and it will say in the passport exactly where you plan to travel and when. The staff at the Embassy are very helpful in these kind of circumstances.

I would be wary of going to Thai immigration for an extension with an ALREADY expired visa.

They may take you for a van ride to the pokey ? Good luck

Yes my USA passport has had pages added 3 times already very convenient.

But on last reload they said next time passport is full I will need to apply for new passport 3 reloads is the limit I Guess

Not sure if it is legal, friend had the same problem and hoped that they would find a space somewhere...

They have been to Cambodia some years before, the sticker kept falling out. [YES I have myself had there sticker fall out within 3 months] anyway at the boarder the Immigration officer opened passport, old Visa sticker falls out, he pick it up and pops it in the passport, then stamps Passport on the page where the sticker should have been..... , next boarder they stamped in and out on same page returning to Thailand also stamped the same page...

Question when did you apply for new passport ? mine took 28 days to arrive.. will a 7 day Immigration stamp if they can find a place to stamp it be enough ??

I am nearing the same problem and until I read your post also had my head in the sand. I will get mine done now. Thanks for the post. I think I would go to immigration and very politely ask for some help.

Is the Hong Kong application on the gov site?

Yes it is. It's actually just the standard application form, it hasn't changed. Because of the fraudulent issuing of UK passports in the region in the recent past all applications for the region are now collated and checked in HK then (assuming they're OK) couriered to the UK for the passport to be issued, couriered back to HK and distributed. These are the new chipped passports

Believe most Embassies can issue a temporary passport to allow travel to obtain a new visa or visa exempt entry if you do not have time - extra cost but may be less than overstay and risk of issues. Might be worth asking if not enough time.

Not as lucky as the Yanks who can just nip to the embassy and get extra pages put it.

Actually, they used to do that. Now the US embassy no longer adds pages. They just give you an option to get a new passport with a larger number of pages....think it changed about 2 years ago or something.

Don't know about e-visa in Cambodia .. but here in Chong Chom .. about 1km from Cambodia border .. I have to stop using it as a visa run as I lose a page and a half (with Cambodia visa and Thai stamps etc.) every time ... got about 5 pages left of a 10 year passport issued Nov 2011 !! Same problem with Laos ....

Not as lucky as the Yanks who can just nip to the embassy and get extra pages put it.

Actually, they used to do that. Now the US embassy no longer adds pages. They just give you an option to get a new passport with a larger number of pages....think it changed about 2 years ago or something.

Actually, they still will add pages. But, its not free anymore; think its $50 now. And normally no more than 3 times.

Not as lucky as the Yanks who can just nip to the embassy and get extra pages put ior adding of pages.t. the ma f

Actually, they still will add pages. But, its not free anymore; think its $50 now. And normally no more than 3 times.

82 USD for additional pages. US passport cost... http://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html

3 times is the max for adding of pages.

Edited by khwaibah

Uhm does England not have the temporary passports (pink ones) with 6 months validity?

I thought all european countres had them. Just pop down to the embassy and get one the same day you apply and then use that one to do a visa run the same day and wait at home until the real passport is delivered. Doesn't all EU countries have this?

Edited by Dellie

You can still add pages at any US Consulate to a US passport but you do have to pay for it and the number is limited.

Ahhh...ok. I thought they said they weren't doing it anymore....ok, now it is paid. The good news is that you can get a passport with extra pages in for free when you apply.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

You can still add pages at any US Consulate to a US passport but you do have to pay for it and the number is limited.

Ahhh...ok. I thought they said they weren't doing it anymore....ok, now it is paid. The good news is that you can get a passport with extra pages in for free when you apply.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

Read post 52.

I am nearing the same problem and until I read your post also had my head in the sand. I will get mine done now. Thanks for the post. I think I would go to immigration and very politely ask for some help.

Is the Hong Kong application on the gov site?

Yes it is. It's actually just the standard application form, it hasn't changed. Because of the fraudulent issuing of UK passports in the region in the recent past all applications for the region are now collated and checked in HK then (assuming they're OK) couriered to the UK for the passport to be issued, couriered back to HK and distributed. These are the new chipped passports

I will stand corrected but to be 100% accurate I believe that the passports are couriered direct to the applicant, not via HK.

Step by step procedure for getting a new UK passport while in Thailand here.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y

It should be noted that the issuing of an emergency passport will automatically cancel your existing passport. Secondly they may not let you back in. It is designed only to allow you to make one specified journey if your existing passport has been lost, stolen, damaged or expired, neither of which fits your case. Also it costs. £95 = B4,700

NOT true.

2 years ago they started charging for the extra pages $80 /set. On your first set Bangkok US embassy will give u two sets for the same price,

after that it is up to the emabssy if they will give u one more set, ie if ur passport is still good an not damaged they will give u the 3rd set.

Otherwise u need a new passport (ask for a 48 page one) the out reach US program will take ur passport, ur $$ an dtake ur passport back to Bangkok and than send it back to you. Same with a new passport. YOU DO NOT need travel to Bangkok

These will give you the dates, http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/consular_outreach_fy2012.html