Dummies Guide to Solar Power for one Office AC ?

SurinBeach

Solar is the way to go. You can run water pumps, pool filtration systems, a/c's, lights, washing machines, TV, fridge, computer etc.. in fact you can run most things as long as they don't draw to much to quickly. I will be putting in a 5kw stand alone with back up genset for around AUD 7,000 or 210,000 baht.

Sent from my TR736 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just as an aside, the deadline for license applications for the 'Solar Rooftop' program have been extended until November 15 - if you get yourself into that program you'll be paid 6.95 Baht for each unit you feed into the grid.

At the price, a grid-tie system seems to be the best way to implement a solar system, unless you want to go totally off-grid. If you need backup power, just implement a mains-charged UPS (charger, batteries, inverter and transfer switch) and let you solar generated electricity charge the batts via both meters wink.png

if your solar panel is connected to the electric meter ,the meter automaticly turns backward.So your electric bill will be less.

Why do you need additional licence ?

Just as an aside, the deadline for license applications for the 'Solar Rooftop' program have been extended until November 15 - if you get yourself into that program you'll be paid 6.95 Baht for each unit you feed into the grid.

At the price, a grid-tie system seems to be the best way to implement a solar system, unless you want to go totally off-grid. If you need backup power, just implement a mains-charged UPS (charger, batteries, inverter and transfer switch) and let you solar generated electricity charge the batts via both meters wink.png

if your solar panel is connected to the electric meter ,the meter automaticly turns backward.So your electric bill will be less.

Because you get paid more for the power you generate. Scheme registration is now closed anyway :(

Because you get paid more for the power you generate. Scheme registration is now closed anyway sad.png

ok i understand ,but i will profit annyway "if " the meter turns backward?

Payback time for a grid-tie system in Thailand is about 7 years give or take (lots of factors to consider).

So after 7 years you are in profit, assuming you don't have an inverter or panel failure that requires replacement at cost.

Slightly more complex answer, yes, under certain constraints.

Do you have mains power on site?

If yes then a grid-tie system will be able to offset the cost of running your aircon without all the issues of energy storage (expensive batteries) and start-up power consumption (big, expensive inverter).

Have a look at the grid-tie systems from Amorn Solar http://www.amornsolar.com/ . Cost 70,000 Baht (2,000W) to 439,000 Baht (20,000W 3-phase), payback without a feed-in tariff is probably about 7 years, if the government actually get around to implementing their proposed feed-in tariff somewhat shorter.

There are also solar-assistors that you can bolt on to your aircon to reduce its power consumption, how effective they actually are I cannot comment http://www.saveenergyasia.com/products/solaraircon.html

I was just thinking of hooking up a bufallo to a circlar tread wheel with a gearbox and generator in the middle. It wouldn't cost too much hay whistling.gif

Slightly more complex answer, yes, under certain constraints.

Do you have mains power on site?

If yes then a grid-tie system will be able to offset the cost of running your aircon without all the issues of energy storage (expensive batteries) and start-up power consumption (big, expensive inverter).

Have a look at the grid-tie systems from Amorn Solar http://www.amornsolar.com/ . Cost 70,000 Baht (2,000W) to 439,000 Baht (20,000W 3-phase), payback without a feed-in tariff is probably about 7 years, if the government actually get around to implementing their proposed feed-in tariff somewhat shorter.

There are also solar-assistors that you can bolt on to your aircon to reduce its power consumption, how effective they actually are I cannot comment http://www.saveenergyasia.com/products/solaraircon.html

I was just thinking of hooking up a bufallo to a circlar tread wheel with a gearbox and generator in the middle. It wouldn't cost too much hay whistling.gif

Unless you can get your buffalo to get into a serious gallop it won't work ....

Sent from my TR736 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Unless you can get your buffalo to get into a serious gallop it won't work ....

I don't know mind, there are some rare-earth alternators that start generating at very low speeds. If K. Kwai manages 1 RPM a 1:200 gearbox is not outside the realms of possibility.

How many Watts from a buffalo (not including bio-gas from his poop and 'exhaust')?

Check this company out, Ping Solar

Ping Solar just installed this for James at a cost of around 255,000 baht, with just under a 6 year return, If you can install it your self it would be cheaper. Solar is well worth installing.

I cannot get any contact info for Pin Solar. Do you know if its have office in Thailand? Thank you.

Ping Solar just installed this for James at a cost of around 255,000 baht, with just under a 6 year return, If you can install it your self it would be cheaper. Solar is well worth installing.

I cannot get any contact info for Pin Solar. Do you know if its have office in Thailand? Thank you.

Have you tried contacting them via their Facebook page linked to in John's post?

• Like 1

Hi, It's ping solar and there in Kanchanaburi, don't know if I am allowed to give phone number's on here. Find them on face book under Ping Solar Let there be light, Hope this helps

Why PV solar is just a feel good system, feel good for the seller.

Solar input max 1 kw/sqm (at 90 deg to sun, mid day).

Losses:

Solar panel efficiency: 15% net solar power mid day, pointed at sun 150 w/sqm

loss due to not tracking sun 30% net solar average output 105 w/sqm

loss due to temperature 1% per deg C about 25 deg C Thai ambient 38 C, panel temp ~ 43 C, 18% loss 88 w/sqm

loss due to age: 1 % per year, est 25 to 30 yrs. power at panel End of Life: 30% net output 59 w/sqm

loss due to dirt, 5% net output 57 w/sqm

loss due to seasonal shift 5% net output 55 w/sqm

loss due shade (clouds, trees) 0 - 50 % Now this one is really tricky. If your panels are tied together, shade on one panel will reduce the output of the whole system. If you spend a lot more money, using micro inverters will reduce the loss, except for full cloud coverage.

Those rosy estimates of power output of 280 w / panel is based on perpendicular sun angle, 25 deg C, new panel, basically ideal conditions. In the field the conditions are less than ideal, you will experience on average a lot less power unless you're in the desert. And if you want to maintain the power output, you have to add panels to avoid a loss of output.

A 280 w panel is over 1 sqm. if you take all the losses, the 280 w panel will average around 84 w.

If you really need 5 kw output, it will take about 3 times the amount of panels to maintain an average of 5 kw, but if you want steady output, then grid tie or batteries is the only way to maintain that output.

The only way PV solar is practical is when there is no other practical power source available, but you'll also need that battery bank.