Organic Thai rice 'a better option than govt payments'

webfact

In truth there are rules for organic farming in Thailand, but they have one fatal flaw - It's up to the middle-man buyer (or processing facility) to "self regulate" the standards. As anyone who has been in Thailand a while knows, this gives them licence to do virtually anything they like. In our case - we grow coffee - it's only a matter of my wife, the farmer, signing a form that we are adhering to proper organic farming methods. There is no inspection of our farm, and indeed advice is provided as to how we can use chemicals without the residue showing up in my end product. (This can be important, because there is a system of random lab tests to ensure the residue is below a certain standard *set by ... one guess! The buyer! Typical Thai practice - set up a system to give the appearance that things are done according to the book.)

I am sure there ARE individuals and organisations in Thailand who do the right thing organically, but I can assure you that the coffee buyers/roasters I have dealt with (among them are large, well known retail sellers) are NOT among them despite their "organic" claims. As a result we don't bother growing organically any more. It was more work and therefore more expensive and we gained no advantage - Others who had "signed the form" received equal returns to us with significantly less overheads.(I still grow all our family-use veges organically though and remain a true believer in REAL organics!)

• Like 2

In truth there are rules for organic farming in Thailand, but they have one fatal flaw - It's up to the middle-man buyer (or processing facility) to "self regulate" the standards. As anyone who has been in Thailand a while knows, this gives them licence to do virtually anything they like. In our case - we grow coffee - it's only a matter of my wife, the farmer, signing a form that we are adhering to proper organic farming methods. There is no inspection of our farm, and indeed advice is provided as to how we can use chemicals without the residue showing up in my end product. (This can be important, because there is a system of random lab tests to ensure the residue is below a certain standard *set by ... one guess! The buyer! Typical Thai practice - set up a system to give the appearance that things are done according to the book.)

I am sure there ARE individuals and organisations in Thailand who do the right thing organically, but I can assure you that the coffee buyers/roasters I have dealt with (among them are large, well known retail sellers) are NOT among them despite their "organic" claims. As a result we don't bother growing organically any more. It was more work and therefore more expensive and we gained no advantage - Others who had "signed the form" received equal returns to us with significantly less overheads.(I still grow all our family-use veges organically though and remain a true believer in REAL organics!)

you are right. I tried to contact a laboratory which was mentioned on one pack of Organic Rice I bought at Tesco. I contacted that lab and asked who controlls it, but I received only Thianess, means...NO ANSWER

For "organic" every (block) of country(s) have their own regulations, for instance the EU: 2092/91. Aside, several institutes added their own rules and inspectations.

For Thailand, "organic"? ?

A comment of the Dutch governmental food authorities NVWA in a comment on food safety certifications like BRC, IFS, ISO 22000 given out by world wide organisations like Bureau Veritas, DNV, Intertek, IsaCert, Lloyds, SGS, TUV:

certificaten uit derdelanden, dan zult u het met me eens zijn dat hier nog vaker het predikaat "onbetrouwbaar" op geplakt kan worden, om niet te spreken van "fraude".

certifications from third countries, then you will agree with me that here more often these could be classified as "unreliable", not to speak of "fraud".

The British FSA:

Unfortunately we cannot comment on the types of certification ( BRC, IFS, ISO 22000) you have listed below, however in terms of importing food products to the UK from a non-EU country, it is the responsibility of the importer to ensure that the food conforms to EU food safety and hygiene requirements

The Irish FSAI:

We do not give approval for food imported into Ireland. It is up to the person importing the food to ensure that it meets all relevant legislative requirements. You would have to check with BRC directly to see if their standards are equivalent to meeting EU legislative requirements.

So, gives an idea about their atttude towards Thai governmental certifications.

Edited by puipuitom

Organic in Thailand is reasonably circumspect, but so is it in the US.

Nevertheless, all attempts to reduce chemical use, heavy fertilizers, GMO's etc. is a step forward. Over the years Monsanto and other chemical companies have forced so much crap into the soil here that it is largely depleted of vital minerals and driven farmers into debt.

Composting, crop rotation, etc. can restore soil to a healthy level so production yields will increase and costs of fertilizers will drop.....

Support the farmers who are making an effort. Its not perfect but public encouragement is vital to bring the farmers along.

• Like 1

I do wonder what is organic in terms of produce here, is there a body that actually certifies it as so and does it have rules / regulations that must be observed?

Yes,there are internationally recognized and associated organic certifiers here in Thailand ... and the certifiers are certified by international certifiers. Actually Thai organic products have a great reputation in Europe and USA.

Organic is for the most part a joke. Test the soil.

Probably right. What it should probably say is: "Raised with no added chemicals or pesticides". At this point, the best we can hope for is least amount contaminates. Hopefully, if the soil is left alone and no chemicals or pesticides are used for 7 years, and the surrounding land isn't causing chemicals to leech in, there will be "organic" produce available.

BTW, don't trust anyone who is selling "organic" produce. For it to be "organic" it must be deemed so by an organization that has tested the soil, observed the growing methods and tested the final product. A few years ago there was someone selling oranges in Chiang Mai. In one basket he had oranges for 20 baht a kilo and in the other he has a sign "organic oranges" at 40 baht a kilo. I asked to see his certification confirming his produce had undergone inspection to be deemed "organic". He looked at me as though he was a martian watching two frogs playing ping pong. Someone must have told him if he just put a sign stating "organic" he could sell his contaminated produce for double the price.

So based upon that one isolated experience you condemn every organic product in the world. I had someone lie and cheat me, so should I assume that every person I meet will do the same?

You yourself tarlk about "organization that has tested soil, observed the growing methods and tested the final product" ... i.e., properly certified organic ... so why do you in the same post say "don't trust anyone selling organic produce?

As with any product, the buyer must educate themselves to be a smart shopper. Organics is no different ... and with packaged organic products one can look for authentic certification statements and seals.

Organic in Thailand.....is...not to be believed. No regulation whatsoever. Farmers just label their products "organic".

Why display your ignorance so easily and blatantly. You have no idea what you're talking about. Try actually finding about a subject before you spread such misinformation.

Would anyone really trust a Thai government organic certification certificate. Even if there was one.

Thai government does not certify organic products. That's done my internationally recognized certifiers who work in conjunction with Thai certifiers whom they've trained and approved.

Per usual, there are lots of instant experts who have done absolutely no research and yet speak with authority. Why be so quick to display your ignorance?? Try and actually do some research or otherwise don't talk about what you don't know about.

I have been intimately involved with organic agriculture for 35-plus years with my own certified organic farm and processing facility in the USA. Also have visited and interviewed various organic farmers and processors in Thailand ... and the organizations who train, inspect and certify these farms and processing and distribution facilities.

Yes, I've seen a small few cheaters but they were very easy to detect. However, the vast majority of certified organic farmers and processors here in Thailand are very honest and very organic ... and to them organics is much more that a business ... it's a lifestyle.

One of the first things he did was to build an underground well,

What other type of well is there?

dont forget. he not only wisely built it underground, but certainly it is an "organic" underground well ,,,,,,,,,,,,, an even better choice ........... whistling.gif

Edited by attento

Well done, thats the way in the right direction. I wonder about people saying, that organig is a worldwide scam. They was never on a organic farm, only talking bad, get money from Monsanto? It's right, it should be hardly controlled, and wrongdoing should be punishes with jail. Maybe I'am wrong, but I remember to read, that 2000 Farmers die every year on the poisons they use. And I read about one, who change to organic, after his family go sick. Chemical not needed for our food, that is the real wordwide scam. smile.png

Many "chemicals" both synthetic and natural, can cause serious harm if they are misapplied.

Where are the statistics showing farmer deaths from using synthetic chemicals according to the manufacturers recommendations ?

Maybe we are both wrong, but most accidents occur from ignorance and human error.

The organic certification and the Coop of farmers is good news no matter the loop holes in the overall system. The man was so deep in a hole, like many farmers, at least he got off the merry go round of debt, middlemen, so prevelant here in Thailand.

There are a few of these forward thinkers , planners, and doers around, they just need to get involved more outside their local and get a larger involvement.

Too many people are content to receive a free handout from the government even after they find out it was not as free as they imagined/thought. There are quite a few like this man who have threw off the bonds that hold so many down. not just in Thailand but around the world and although they may not get, what some would call wealthly, they do make a comfortable living

Organic is for the most part a joke. Test the soil.

Probably right. What it should probably say is: "Raised with no added chemicals or pesticides". At this point, the best we can hope for is least amount contaminates. Hopefully, if the soil is left alone and no chemicals or pesticides are used for 7 years, and the surrounding land isn't causing chemicals to leech in, there will be "organic" produce available.

BTW, don't trust anyone who is selling "organic" produce. For it to be "organic" it must be deemed so by an organization that has tested the soil, observed the growing methods and tested the final product. A few years ago there was someone selling oranges in Chiang Mai. In one basket he had oranges for 20 baht a kilo and in the other he has a sign "organic oranges" at 40 baht a kilo. I asked to see his certification confirming his produce had undergone inspection to be deemed "organic". He looked at me as though he was a martian watching two frogs playing ping pong. Someone must have told him if he just put a sign stating "organic" he could sell his contaminated produce for double the price.

So based upon that one isolated experience you condemn every organic product in the world. I had someone lie and cheat me, so should I assume that every person I meet will do the same?

You yourself tarlk about "organization that has tested soil, observed the growing methods and tested the final product" ... i.e., properly certified organic ... so why do you in the same post say "don't trust anyone selling organic produce?

As with any product, the buyer must educate themselves to be a smart shopper. Organics is no different ... and with packaged organic products one can look for authentic certification statements and seals.

The article was about Thailand and the comment pertained to Thailand. The warning was to be cautious about what people say and to check things out. And, there are some products that receive the organic label in Thailand. Brown rice produced under one of the King's projects for example, and that is definitely more more authentic than a piece of cardboard with the word "organic" written in magic marker. Get off your soap box and read what was written before you write such a ridiculous response.From your moniker, I think you should lay off the herb for a while.

Remember several years ago reading about a Thai farmer who tried growing rice without all the usual chemicals and it seemed he could not get any dealer to buy his rice as they were all tied up with the chemical companies.

The story was; 'if you don't buy our chemicals we wont buy your rice'.

It is good to see that that has changed and now farmers who choose not to go the chemical way can get a market for their product and a premium price.